The Character-A-Fortnight Event : CAFÉ 004

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2007
Talking

Hey all,

I sat down and made time to get the head drawn out how I want it to be (I think.) Result below:

Too late to think about changing it now - so I'll be moving on to the body. LOL. I always like to get the head drawn up first, so I know if my idea is going to work or not. Anyway, look out for the body, tomorrow... deffo... lol.

@ Infuscos >>> Please post up your ideas, don't be worried about others work. It's the best way to learn, I learned that the hard way.

@ Murfdog >>> Looking cool, and hope you get time to develop it further.

@ depleteD >>> Hope you get time to model your idea - it's cool and deserves to be made in 3D.

Cheers all
MIKE

05 May 2007
Hi there,

Glad to see you are ok Default !

OMG.. your creature is awesome !
Cretacolour is impressive, lovely results.

Just busy around here. But keep following up the Café here.

DepleteD - very good ! waiting for more

Cheers,

Zupi Portal (eng)
www.drsketchy.com/
SketchySP
eduardo.janiszewski@gmail.com

05 May 2007
Originally Posted by default-rol:
@ Infuscos >>> Please post up your ideas, don't be worried about others work. It's the best way to learn, I learned that the hard way.

Just so ashamed of my work next to everyone elses hehe. I've tried to include Zbrush in this one as ive never used it before i thought this would be an opputunity to have a play. So I'll post up the basic model. Im going to do some sketches for the detail when i get home tomorrow i promise !

The feet are very dodgy So i'll mess arround with them tomorrow...

Originally Posted by default-rol:

That is absolutely fantastic! I wanna do a carnivore now

Last edited by Infuscos : 05 May 2007 at 10:42 PM.

05 May 2007
freakin awesome
im getting pumped about this thread

05 May 2007
G'day Murph! good to see you on the forum mate! megasoreass! lol! cant wait!

05 May 2007
first attempt looked like a roo

My proboscisaurus wont be used but it started looking like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dino-3.jpg (75.2 KB, 30 views)

05 May 2007
my dino

Here is a qick sketch I made. I was thinking this dino would spend most of it's time in the tree canopy, so it has long toes for climbing and maybe a prehensile tail like a monkey. It would also have colorful head display like a bird of paradise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dino.jpg (51.5 KB, 16 views)

05 May 2007
there's this one

modelled and rendered in c4d, i'll take it into maya (i dont have bodypaint)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DINO3A.jpg (44.7 KB, 28 views)

05 May 2007
Thumbs up

Morning all,

@ Djampa >>> Hey, good to see you around, we've been missing you. Thanks very much for the support.

@ Infuscos >>> Nothing wrong with that start. Looks like i'll be modelling today too as my pencils haven't turned up yet. I finally managed to download my upgrade to ZBrush 3 last night, so I'll be learning the program all over again, along with you. The new release looks bloody awesome!

@ depleteD >>> Good to hear your motivated. I'm looking forward to that update.

@ Murfdog >>> Crazy creatures you've got going there. Really cool start and I hope you get chance to develop it. I think I prefer your second version more though as it seems to have more balance, (not face heavy, lol) and I can totally understand why your first Pseudosaraus became extinct. LOL.

@ bigmikey >>> Nice drawing and a really strong sense of character you've got there in your idea. I hope you get chance to illustrate the idea you have more completely as I think it would be excellent.

Cheers guys
MIKE

05 May 2007
default-rol...thanks....like your dino too....nice sketch...hope to see it in 3D soon...^ ^..
and..do you know where can I download Z-brush???

Murfdog.........like your dino...^ ^...

05 May 2007
Arrow

Originally Posted by questionmarks: default-rol...thanks....like your dino too....nice sketch...hope to see it in 3D soon...^ ^..
and..do you know where can I download Z-brush???

Hey questionmarks,

Get your license information out that you got when you bought it, reseller info, order number etc - go on the pixologic website and register the information with them for the upgrade. Wait about 24 hours for them to check you out and make sure you own a license, then they'll send you a download link for the free upgrade to 3.0.

Simple as that.

Cheers
MIKE

**Update**

My pencils still haven't arrived so I've had to resort to making the base mesh before I've designed the final look for it >>>

Should be fun taking this into ZBrush now...

Cheers
MIKE

Last edited by default-rol : 05 May 2007 at 03:54 PM.

05 May 2007
Here's mine so far, grabbed from 3dsmax!

Feet are still dodgy..

05 May 2007
Talking

Hey all,

Woah!! ZBrush 3 is brilliant!! LOL. Shame I haven't a clue how most of it works... the "smooth" brush? (more like slider) seems like it will take a bit of getting used to... (I'm just not using it at the moment)

Here is a wire of my Psudosaraus, after some basic form block in within ZBrush. Also learned today that Dinosaurs had no knee caps... worth bearing in mind as I sculpt the legs.

@ Infuscos >>> hey, that's looking great so far, keep going. If you need any advice as you go, post up and someone will hopefully help you through. We all try and help as best we can.

Cheers
MIKE

Last edited by default-rol : 05 May 2007 at 10:34 PM.

05 May 2007
Ok, well this is sort of a question. I only know the very basics in Zbrush i.e. Move, Scale, Rotate, Add, Sub, Divide and Symettery. Is there anything worth knowing?

05 May 2007
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Infuscos: Ok, well this is sort of a question. I only know the very basics in Zbrush i.e. Move, Scale, Rotate, Add, Sub, Divide and Symettery. Is there anything worth knowing?

Well from my experience and use of the program it totally depends on how you feel about what you do. I had friends at University who were "poly modellers" and they HATED ZBrush because it seemed to be alien to what they had been taught about CG modelmaking.

Personally, I always came at CG modelmaking from a real 3D/ modelmaking background (I played with FIMO and Milliput for years - and for Warhammer 40,000 I used to make my own props and sets etc.)

I hated organic 3D modelmaking for a long time because it seemed like you were at the mercy of the program, but after seeing ZBrush demo'd for the first time all of that changed for me.

After that, I picked up enough about edge looping etc. to know roughly how to keep data localised on a model. Once I've made a base mesh I then export straight to ZBrush. I set up my organic models in Maya for data looping/edge flow reasons... basically more control. (I haven't had loads of success from ZSpheres, but I have seen others who have done loads better than my humble attempts.)

Once it's inside ZBrush I feel a lot more at home "sculpting digital clay" (or wax now in ZBrush 3, lol) than thinking how best to push edges, verts and faces into the organic shapes I want. I think this is a mindset thing.

To sum up my long winded ramblings, there is LOADS to learn in ZBrush if you fall into the "I want to be able to sculpt 'with symmetry and undo's' " (a benefit over straight Chevant or Super Sculpy.) There is generally less benefit to be had, however, if you enjoy more the technical aspects of model making, (working out every last loop of data.)

Gnomon do great DVD's on the basic technical capabilities of ZBrush (that's how I learned the basics,) but I also know Kurv studios do good, but generally less formal, DVD's on the same topic in my limited experience of them. digital tutors probably have good ones too, and you can, in fact, pick up excellent free video lectures from the ZBrushcentral forums.

If you're still reading, then "Well done" for making it this far. LOL.

Cheers
MIKE

Thread Closed share thread