The Character-A-Fortnight Event : CAFÉ 002

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2007   #31
Apr 15, 2007

Starting my concept with a poem:

Notions and Potions
Fill the mind's Oceans
Creating the Darkness that surrounds us

I find that creating a little poem about the concept is a great way to stimulate the imagination into seeing a vision.

Glenn

Old 04 April 2007   #32
so much cool work by everyone again...

I am taking part in the animation challenge atm, so I won't be joining in on this part, but I will enjoy following your progress, everyone.

Old 04 April 2007   #33
Thumbs up

@ Fl3wk >>> Good progress. Nice to see you thinking about the skeleton of your creature. Now you really can, "flesh it out."

@ SpiritDreamer >>> Great stuff! Working from a poem is not something I've ever done before I don't think. I used a couple of haiku once in a project at University, but they just passed my lecturers by I'm afraid... I'm really looking forward to seeing this develop as you always manage to create something unique. Keep going.

@ MU >>> Abandon us then, why don't you?! LOL, (I'm not really bitter - honest.) good luck with your animation challenge and keep stopping by, crits are always useful to those working on the project.

Anyway, here is my first thought on the character I've got in mind >>>

He's a bit fuzzy at the moment - something I'll need to address in my development. I'll try to establish overall proportions etc now, and then come back and tune him/it in I think.

Cheers all
MIKE

Old 04 April 2007   #34
some beast or another

here is my quick concept sketch numero uno, I like this quote and the brain is bursting with images

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachm...id=112151&stc=1

default-rol. nice breakdowns

Roja.do more on your image its a good start

added image two refining of this chimera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monsterOne.jpg (69.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg monsterTwo.jpg (89.9 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by nochuss : 04 April 2007 at 08:37 PM. Reason: secondImage

Old 04 April 2007   #35
This is an intresting thread, Hopefully I can find some time to participate. Looking foward to all the great work.

Default - Rol - Intresting approach, you listen to twin when you draw as well? Howbout square and vsnares?

Old 04 April 2007   #36
Hi guys,

Nice to see all the work rolling in - keep it coming!

Just a reminder to subscribe to / bookmark this thread since the front page plug will probably disappear shortly.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 04 April 2007   #37
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Redwolf: Default - Rol - Intresting approach, you listen to twin when you draw as well? Howbout square and vsnares?

You are asking an interesting question about music, and how it subliminally shows up in your drawing work, eh? Good question!

I do listen to Squarepusher, I also listen to Susumu Yakota, Mileece, Murcof, The Prodigy... but I try to keep it in the "mood" of the work I'm trying to produce when listening while drawing. I've also got a lot of film soundtracks, anime OST's, aswell as a couple of game OST's, (ICO's being my favourite for general listening.) I first started listening to music while drawing only last year, after watching the gnomon DVD series of Iain McCaig. He said that listening to soundtracks were VITAL to the creative process. I tried it on his advice, agreed with him, and have done it ever since.

After reading that John Singer Sargent did this too - and infact used to play when he was either stuck in a rut, was in a moment of thought, or at a major point in a piece of work - I reckon that the best can't be wrong.

Anyway, I'm off to put my i-pod back on....

Cheers - I look forward to seeing what work you produce, while "under the influence" too.
MIKE

<<< UPDATE >>>

Some more ideas, just for fun. I'm still happier with the feel of the earlier one, but it's good to explore.

Cheers
MIKE

Last edited by default-rol : 04 April 2007 at 08:51 PM.

Old 04 April 2007   #38
SpiritDreamer-I like how that monster head is shaping out, looks cool!

Default-those last sketches you posted look really nice, I really like that style of drawing..and they're all cool ideas I think

I did a nicer drawing of the Cockatrice that I'm pretty happy with. Next step=coloring!

Old 04 April 2007   #39
Well even listening to Fear Factory and Napalm Death didn't push me to something satisfactorily grotesque . I'll have to step it back to Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada to see it that helps it click.

I was thinking of a statue come to life -- a simple hero facing off against a pair of statues enscrolled by a wizard type thing, pretty Frazetta inspired. I got interested in the above body type from a painting of his. It's getting dangerously close to a Blizzard style Naga, and (even if it is a man/serpent/fish hybrid) it isn't what I originally wanted when thinking grotesque... So most likely back to square one tomorrow unless something clicks in the night.

Nice start all round, Roja's cockatrice, Mike's sketches... this should be a really fun one to follow, exactly the kind of topic that can bring out the ... ?best? in people . I'll be pushing hard to get this one done, a bit of a better timeframe then the last one and a topic that is easier for me to get lost in

Old 04 April 2007   #40
Mike, what McCaig didn't mentioned is that listening to music doesn't make your drawing skills improve. Now that sucks!
I'm listening to all those music you mentioned, by the way.And Ico is also one listen to on a regular basis (as well as Shadow of the Colossus).
Sorry for beeing off topic. I'm working on a Salvatore-Name-of-the-Rose-type grotesque character, but I still haven't got anything worth showing. For now my sketches are... grotesque.
Take care.
-IS-

Old 04 April 2007   #41
Thumbs up

Good Morning all,

@ Roja >>> Thanks for the compliment. Your cockatrice is really coming along now, and the volumes of it seem to hold together really well. I've seen them before and I know that they always do seem to have rather small wings for their body size/mass. Have you considered trying to alter the convention by putting larger wings on it and seeing how it looks? Even a "quick and dirty" cut and paste job in photoshop, just to see if larger wings make your cockatrice even better than it already is? Good stuff anyway, can't wait to see the colouring stage.

@ kary >>> Boards of Canada eh? Another good band I've got a couple of albums of. (I also forgot to say I like Royksopp in my musical paragraph above - even been to see them live.) B of C may produce interesting results, try it and post up your results here!

@ Igor Sandman >>> Another great thing that McCaig says is, "Show everyone your work, no matter how bad you think it is, 'coz everyone has got many thousands of bad sketches in them. Show (what you think is your bad work) with glee, knowing that your great stuff is right on the other side..." I loved that quote and, like everyone else here, we all do really, REALLY bad sketches too! I hope that paraphrased quote empowers you to post your work up here, it did to me.

On the SOTC note, I'm going to get the soundtrack today. The game was excellent, like ICO, although the last few "Colossi" proved to be real pain in the a**es. Me and Liang, my girlfriend, fought for many hours... (both in the game, and outside the game - telling each other what we should have been doing to defeat them, LOL.) I will listen to the soundtrack as I create today. Well inspired!

Cheers all
MIKE

Old 04 April 2007   #42
Cool stuff here so far. I'm in on this one for sure guys.

Myspace www.myspace.com/olszakmike

Sketchbook

Old 04 April 2007   #43
OK Mike, you won.

I worked a bit on it so I'm more satisfied now. I did it while listening to SotC OST
Bye.
-IS-

Minor Edit: added the gesture study and a little story telling

Last edited by igorsandman : 04 April 2007 at 12:17 PM.

Old 04 April 2007   #44
I have done my first 3/4 view sketch. This is not the final look, I will be changing things I dislike.

Sketchbook

Old 04 April 2007   #45
Kappa

Hello Everyone,

First of all let me just say how grateful I am for something like this online workshop. I am sure that it is going to be a great learning experience.

After messing around a little while, I have decided to paint a kappa. A kappa is a creature from Japanese folklore. He looks like a child carrying a turtle's shell and he has a shallow hollow on the top of his head which holds water. A kappa is incredibly strong, but if you can knock the water out of his head, then you can catch the kappa. Child here in Japan are warned to stay away from the river and lakes in case the kappa might catch them and drag them into the water to drown.

I find the image of a kappa cute and horrible at the same time. All wet and slimey, but still innocent eyes like a child. Anyway, I will paint more tomorrow.

Thread Closed share thread