The Character-A-Fortnight Event : CAFÉ 001

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2007   #16
ok I will write up a brief for my character well, this might help the storyline even more....

Old 03 March 2007   #17
The mind map is an excellent way to drop down keywords and search for an idea. I may use this mechanic myself for this one. Although I may do it in photoshop or painter and use a wacom to write Unlimited space!!

When I first saw it I wasn't thinking of creatures with bodies that were armoured. I was thinking about any creature and then how it may look as a mechanical being. For mine I do not think I will go for war. This day and age war is looked upon as cool, but I think I will be a tree hugger for this one.

For me the industrial age was a time of growth in the economy sector, and was a time of utility to make human life easier. So my proposal is to design something that has the anatomical structure of a creature, but is used to aid mankind.

Firstly i will think of which function I want this utility to give, and then think about a creature that will benifit from this function, or the function benifits from the creatures anatomial structure.

Secondly I will either use traditional markers, or I will go into Painter, and sketch thumbnail silhuettes of this creature I select. Each time I draw it I will add something that looks man made. Once this stage is complete I will scan in the images, and turn down the opacity of the main layer so that the ink is not as intense, and then start adding the largest details to the thumbnails I believe might work.

This is how I might start this project. I will post these marker studies once I have got to that stage.

Sketchbook

Old 03 March 2007   #18
Hi...Mike..Rebecca...

Sounds like a great journy is about to get underway. Count me in on this voyage into the abysis of the deepest ocean of unforseen discoveries. ... Just took off the leash of my imagination...TIME TO SET IT FREE,...TIME TO SEE...WHAT'S LYING IN WAIT BENEATH THIS SEA.

Poetry is my method and vehical for creating and grasping ideas..

I think that for this first exercise, I will do a deep sea fish...maybe one of those with the huge spiked teeth, and florescent lanterns that dangle from thier heads, and act like a lure, tempting thier prey to come closer..maybe a two headed version..
ANYONE...is welcome to use, expand on, and manipulate my concept, in any way they may choose.

Hey Mike...you know that that whip scorpion uses that whip as a chemical weapon...that whip is loaded with toxins..that's against the Geneva Convention...no fair....but then again,.. all's fair in love and war...
Looking forward to seeing everyones concepts come into being...
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Old 03 March 2007   #19
"The whirring of cogs and the humming of moving parts reverberate in the darkened passageway. I can see blinking lights casting their illumination on the walls ahead. My breathing quickens as I turn the next corner… THERE IT IS! The new Green Turtle Ferries, what a sight to behold! This think was HUGE! It was a transport vehicle, transporting people under the sea to their land destinations. Right then I was in one of the tunnels you had to travel to so that you could walk onboard one of these things. Some day a city under the sea will take the form of this Ferrie, a TURTLE!"

So I will be combining a turtle anatomy with the structure of a vehicle that can carry people under very deep depths. It will be like a holiday ferrie where you can enjoy the underwater mysteries. It will be able to go to deep depths as deep as the sea bed. So this think has to be pressure resistant.

Just noticed glenn, you have chosen the sea too I was inspired by one of the deep sea books I borrowed from the library. Good luck with the two headed thingy.

Sketchbook

Old 03 March 2007   #20
THANKS...Andrew....Good Luck to you also...maybe we'll run into each other, while we're down thier...
I was a lancher tech., and part of the crew for a few years on a POLARIS sub, while in the Navy as a kid years ago...no windows to see what was out there,..only the windows of the imagination... very very cold down there, in more ways than one...
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Old 03 March 2007   #21
SpiritDreamer: That I may need to consider when I make this Ferrie. Something needs to be designed to prevent these transparent walls from caving in. Well seen as it is fantasy, its a new material they are using to shape the ferries translucent windows.

here is my first thumbnail. Not much, just trying to distort the turtle design somewhat.

Sketchbook

Old 03 March 2007   #22
Whoa! Sound kinda lively down here.... then I might as well intro my character.....

The Flight Chronicles I: Dragonfly: The First Flyer

The Main character is Drey, a Tom, Dick and Harry Mid-Devonian silverfish and does what other of his kind does; eating starch...... dodging primitive spiders with no web slingers....

Then his village gets massacred by “walking fish” the shaman from the the Great Tree refused to believe his tales and Drey gets exiled to the "Island". Lack of much food, he gets revived by the Providence, who grants him the power to transform into the Dragonfly!

Old 03 March 2007   #23
I've been lurking around for awhile but really haven't posted much of my own work. Well I'd like to change that and this seems like a good opportunity to do so!

For my creature I am thinking some sort of arachnid. It would be used for repairing other machines. Probably a hand sized (maybe smaller) construct with a different sort of tool at the end of each leg. Planning to go with a junkyard kind of feel for him. Any input you guys have is very appreciated! I will start sketching thumbnails immediately.

There are some good ideas up here! This should be a lot of fun.

Old 03 March 2007   #24
Looks like this thread is hotting up now! I'm definately looking forward to seeing some really good solutions to this brief.

My next update is a quick explination of how I am morphing the tail of a scorpion on to the body of a whip scorpion >>>

A big "Thank you" to Spirit Dreamer who provided me with photos of his lovely Whip Scorpion pet many months ago now. He assures me they are quite harmless, but I get the fear looking at them myself!

Cheers

MIKE

Old 03 March 2007   #25
ARGH, folks...!

this thread is already surpassing my expectations. Can't wait to try my pencils at a few things tonight.

Totally interesting posts by everyone...

Old 03 March 2007   #26
Some colour studies of the chosen silhuette. The silhuette will change over time, as will the colours.

Sketchbook

Old 03 March 2007   #27
HEY...Andrew....was thinking that if you are going to change the turtles basic design into a jet propelled system as your thumnail sketch shows,...why not go all the way, and make it a hybred species...half squid, and half turtle...will still have the armor of the turtle for protection from the sea pressure down there, but will also have the speed and adjellity of the squid...Plus the camaflage ability that the squid has, will act like a cloaking device, in the avent that danger should arise ... say like in the form of a two headed thing with big teeth, a search light, and a huge hunger in it's belly... ...Peacefull or not, you just never know what you will run into down there...better to be safe, than sorry, it's still a wild world down there. One that's full of creatures that have huge hungers, and will eat you if they get the chance, and if you give them the chance...just the way nature works, and is... ...Maybe your machine has found a world where nature does not exsist...possible I suppose, but very unlikely..
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Old 03 March 2007   #28
first mindmap... I am going to take the results of this and flesh them out in another mindmap to get to the details...

A question: I thought that character concepts are mostly clean, clearly lit presentations of a character minus the environment. The story starter implies that we should include a certain amount of environment and even storytelling.

Is that so? Or do we leave the environment out and concentrate on fleshing the lighting on the character out? Including the enviro sounds like doing a fully fledged painting to me, actually, so that thought sorta freaks me out, btw...

EDIT: freaks me out like in scary shit, man!

Old 03 March 2007   #29
This is great..now that I have finished school gives me something creative to work on. Look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with. Good luck !!

Old 03 March 2007   #30
Arrow

Originally Posted by Mu: A question: I thought that character concepts are mostly clean, clearly lit presentations of a character minus the environment. The story starter implies that we should include a certain amount of environment and even storytelling.

Character presentation drawings can be done in a number of ways, and this varies from artist to artist, and depends on the clients needs.

Depending on how far you take the project we are doing, you could produce a) Orthographics b) Turnarounds c) Character in monochrome d) Character in colour e) Character in situ.

I'm not saying you have to do all of these, (phew!) but if you are focusing on the 2D and not the 3D as I suspect you are, then the orthographic wouldn't be of any use to you. Neither would the turnarounds (You are left with the last three then.) You will need to include a scale reference that the viewer can relate to, (a graphic of a character, for example.)

My advice would be to get some ideas down of how your character will look, via thumbnails, and then try to plot the one you like most in perspective. This should provide you with a challenge. Once you've got that done, you can take it in to your favourite 2D painting package and render the hell out of it!!

Hope that helps some

MIKE

Thread Closed share thread