Your ideas needed for a Weekly Creature / Character Design Workshop!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2007
Your ideas needed for a Weekly Creature / Character Design Workshop!

Your ideas are needed for a Weekly Creature / Character Design Workshop!

Please post your ideas here. What would you like to see? Mike Rollinson, aka default-rol, will be running these. Let's get this going!

-Would you like to see separate 2D / 3D Workshops? Or all in one?

-Do you want these to be weekly or monthly?

-What types of themes do you want to see for Creature / Character Design?

-What do you think the guidelines should be?

Please post your ideas and feedback here! Let's get this puppy going.

One idea I've been kicking around is getting Zbrush artists to contribute renders for beginning artists to draw from. Or people can come up with their own concepts. What do you guys think?

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 03 March 2007 at 04:13 PM.

03 March 2007
first of all: great! another time sink...

- I'd love to see exercises/workshops which focus on the creation of real life or historical character concepts, too, as opposed to fantasy/sci-fi only.

- I don't know how this would be run, though? Assignments, wip-posting, community based c&c and progress?

- I think it would be cool if it wouldn't focus on fully polished results from the start. noobs like me would definitely benefit from guided creation of sketches and more basic techniques, too (like silhouettes as a starting point for concepts, mass sketching to get creativity going and so on)

over and out

EDIT: BTW, default-rol, so cool! Many thanks...

*subscribes*

03 March 2007
Replied through the following quote:

Originally Posted by Rebeccak:
Your ideas are needed for a Weekly Creature / Character Design Workshop!

Please post your ideas here. What would you like to see? Mike Rollinson, aka default-rol, will be running these. Let's get this going!

I think personally thay they should be combined. I am no 3D artist, but I really do appreciate the use of both 3D and 2D elements, like in Matte Paintings and such. It also gets everyone together, instead of seperating them, which could help on influences and may get people like myself to dab their fingers into 3D a little, and possibly vice-versa. In fact I cannot see a good reason to seperate 2D from 3D in a forum such as this. I understand the need for the Showcase forums, but this kind of thing needs to be combined. I do think a rule needs to be implemented mentioning that you HAVE to say what software packages you used.

I would like to see both! A weekly one to get people occupied and to keep them motivated. And also a monthly one so the community can get to know each others strengths and weaknesses and to form friendships. It is also a chance for people to pull off some really refined pieces that took the duration that a week would not have been possible for.

Everything that does not break the Forum rules. From Fish with wheels that race in Space to Wrms the size of a skyscaper that eats little maggets for breakfast, and then there are the characters, which I think is silly to seperate Characters from Creatures. If it is in the context of say the creatures/enemies in Final Fantasy, and the main 'Characters', then it should be fine. But please do not say that Characters have to be human, as this is both arrogent and restrictive.

Similar to most workshops, original pieces with no tracing etc. But an inclusion of artists and modellers needing to mention the software/materials they used. Also WIP's would be AWESOME for people who learn from the better skilled ones.

Please post your ideas and feedback here! Let's get this puppy going.

One idea I've been kicking around is getting Zbrush artists to contribute renders for beginning artists to draw from. Or people can come up with their own concepts. What do you guys think?

I think there needs to be a little guidence to the concepts, but only very brief, not so much that everyone designs the same thing.

CA.org has something good going, go over and let it inspire ideas. Try to make something unique to this one rather than directly copying. Like for instance the idea of combining both 3D and 2D elements, and having both segments post in the same threads. I do not think CA.org have that yet

Sketchbook

03 March 2007
Thumbs up

Hey.... great message about new workshop. Would be great, if this one starts...

I think, separate workshops are better, but 3D reference for 2D drawings are really welcome.

I'd like it weekly, if it's possible....

I like fantasy and little bit apocalyptic characters. I had some ideas in my head, but it's just still problem in "communication" between head(idea) and hand(idea realisation)...
Currently I have some ideas, one is apocalyptic enviroment after nuclear explosion ( came after watching dokument about Chernobyl and trailer for upcoming game Stalker)... I'd like to draw group of some stalkers everyone with other characteristic, etc....i think more and more ideas will come if this workshop get started...

As absolut beginner, it's hard to come up with some special ideas, I think it should include everything from character ideation (i saw marko djurdjevic dvd and it's really great in this), through figure anatomy, drawing clothes and props to proper shading and texturing, etc....

So that's it.... Hope this workshop will start in short time
Best wishes....

03 March 2007
Anything will be great, weekly and monthly if everyone has the time. Perhaps on a monthly basis you could give a rough description of what the character should look like, or do. Then give some examples, and let everyone's imagination run wild.

I do look forward to whatever is decided. I finally have time now that I graduated from college.

03 March 2007
Talking

i think running then#m the way OFWD's go would be very cool...monthly,2d/3d combined and covering all types of theme's

03 March 2007
Oh this sounds really fun!

-2D/3D combined I think. Let people do whichever they want.

-Weekly means not as much time, so not as many polished finished pieces..but perhaps sketching and practicing is what it's about? Plus you're getting a lot more topics to choose from, if you dont like the current one, just wait 1 week instead of 1 month.
-Monthly means more time to work and improve the 1 drawing..which is nice as well.
Hard choice here, i'm currently undecided.

-Themes..I think anything from scifi/fantasy to realistic fictional characters/creatures would be cool.

-I think it'd be fun if we come up with our own concepts.

03 March 2007
Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming! Also, if you have specific suggestions for our first character and / or creature design Workshop, please post those here as well!

Thanks!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2007
Creature: Final Boss Character for an action game or an RPG. Humaniod or Wildlife.

Character: Main Hero Character for same game, so RPG/action game.

I think it would be fun to start at these extremes to kick start things. Possibly even make up an imaginary game storyline and then ask people to choose the Hero or the Villain. Then once the deadline has been met it would be interesting to see the various designs on the same story theme.

Sketchbook

03 March 2007
Smile Creature/Character Design Workshop!!! - Fun

Letz keep it short and sweet weekly!..
As well as fully polished and finished monthly?!!
can we have both

And let us have a choice of 2D/3D

In guidelines i totally want to go with :
Quote: I think it should include everything from character ideation (i saw marko djurdjevic dvd and it's really great in this), through figure anatomy, drawing clothes and props to proper shading and texturing, etc....

And for our first character and / or creature design Workshop...Historical warriors?!!Sea creatures?!!Assassin?!!Funny Mutants?!!to pick something in particular...letz work on a theme?..

And yes like OFDW letz work together and must post our WIPs!..

03 March 2007
OFDW style is totally great, but I must say that I, too, would vote for a shorter period of time, like 2 weeks, just to keep the momentum.

Also, technique oriented topics instead of result oriented topics would be great

examples/suggestions:

- silhouette technique and fleshing it out

- innovative creature design with mass sketching / techniques to find new form languages

- lighting your character / setting up a nice background (esp. for 2D !)

- finding the right details to add

- mixing historical eras to create an original *and* believable approach to fantasy/sci-fi

03 March 2007
Relating designs might be interesting to explore, say looking at a premade design of a vehicle, building/environment, and designing the characters or creatures that inhabit/pilot such designs.
or doing a series of characters that belong to the same grupe, but have different properties, similar to what we see in a lot of games, comic books etc. Where characters often have different abilities, which has to be explained visually, yet they also need to be relating (or contrasting) visually to one another.

I remember that Francis Tzai did a concept design workshop back when he had his own forum, he did them as four workshops, looking at different milestones within the design process of one single designs. the workshops were layout like this:

1 - exploring silhouette and thumbnailing ideas.

2 - fleshing out, medium detail exploration.

3 - rendering and color design.

4 - turntable drawings.

I think that this way of doing one long workshop, but dividing them into smaller sub-workshops that look at different elements of the design process, might be interesting.

looking forward to the workshops.
-David.

03 March 2007
Hi David,...

I think your suggestions sounds great!

It would be a case study and thus be attractive to those who want to focus on the result, but at the same time be an opportunity for learning about various techniques that are involved in the process.

in addition, just a few suggestions for a group of people (you mentioned that idea)

- the three musketeers in space

- the medieval expert raiders

- high tech Aztec special squad ( )

- deep sea aliens and their pet mounts

03 March 2007
Talking

Hey all,

Thanks to those who have replied so far, there are some really good ideas floating around. I've got a few ideas of my own and I will try to post them up this afternoon when I get a bit more time. I'm very much open to suggestions though, so please keep posting up what you would like to see on these workshops.

Thanks again

MIKE

03 March 2007
Yeah ,... As all said I would like keep 2D/3D coz im into both, I can bring up my imaginations in it. I think I like weekly workshop, If I miss one week, I can participate in next week ...thats quick. I like both Creatures and Charactor Designs. I dont have a Idea abt the guidelines guys ...

Hope will get a good worshop soon !!

Thread Closed share thread