MatthewRodgers
thought size didnt matter

portfolio
Matthew Rodgers
Matte Painting / Concept Art
Freelance
Vancouver, Canada

Yah!

Joel, Rebecca, thanks for putting up another great workshop. I've been absent a while (lurking over on CA actually...) but this has sucked me back across. Ill update my anatomy thread too and add some of the new work I have been doing

Im in
Warm regards

Matty

Ps. Joel, loving your tuts in IFX. My gf got me a subscription for my birthday now too... WOOP! xD

Old 02-16-2007, 11:41 PM   #47
matwire
Veteran

portfolio
Mathieu FROSSARD
Freelance 2D 3D
Mozelos, Portugal

Nothingness
Greate draw ! I'm waiting for update

OK here is about 30 min update.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:00 AM   #48
almostkungfu
Veteran
Tor-Erik Lindstrøm
Fredrikstad, Norway

Seriously, Rubens' satyr is such a great image. So much personality!

Okay, so here's my miserable little try.
I sort of tried to tilt the angle slightly, just to test myself, but I came to realize I'm not quite there yet.
So well well, here's where I ended up! Gonna do an absolute copy instead now!

Old 02-17-2007, 12:05 AM   #49
TimMehmet
Frequenter

portfolio
Tim Mehmet
Barking, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to TimMehmet
Im new to this, do we just keep updating our picture until its finished, and then post the final in this thread right?
anyway heres my progress so far

Old 02-17-2007, 12:14 AM   #50
almostkungfu
Veteran
Tor-Erik Lindstrøm
Fredrikstad, Norway

Mdogger, yep, simple as that.
Brilliant wip btw.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:32 AM   #51
MechaHateChimp
O.G.

portfolio
Joel Carlo%2B%2B
Renaissance man
Barcelona, Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl3wk
I have an idea for my angel/demon, but I am not sure whether it would be okay here.

I am speaking of a real life demon. He does not exist today as he died in 1985, but I think doing him would be sufficient for a demon and an angel. An angel because he was known by many as the 'Angel of Death'. I speak of a man named Dr. Josef Mengele. I will keep from the demonic details, but I will say this: he was a supposed scientist working in genetics and was appointed the post of Senior Doctor at the noctorious Auchwitz Deathcamp in 1942. He experimented on people of all ages and was the guy who chose who would live and who would be gassed. For those who know him, you probably agree that he is a demon in human form.

This is a rough sketch of him in action at teh Selection. Would I be able to carry on with this here? I am probably still going to do it, whether shown here or not.

I have colour coded it to explain my intentions. The light blue 'people' are the twins that he selected at the Selections ramp (when the Jews came off the train). The red people are the SS guards and the person on the box is Mengele. The people in the foreground are the people waiting for selection. The chimneys in the back are the crematoriums, which are being disguised by the hedges and fence.

He fits into the criteria as a demon, if they ever exist/ed.

I would also have to agree with Rebecca on this.

Although there is a bit a of leeway to some of the guidleines, I feel your interpretation of what a demon is does not closely follow the guidelines to this workshop. Controversial subjects can also be a sensitive matter to some and not particularly welcome. In this type of situation, it is better to concentrate more on creating an image which adheres more closely to the workshop guidelines than to broad interepretation.

Remember, first and foremost, the workshops are put together for the goal of practicing figure drawing/painting and anatomy. If you still feel strongly about your idea, my suggestion would be to work on it on your time as you stated.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #52
MechaHateChimp
O.G.

portfolio
Joel Carlo%2B%2B
Renaissance man
Barcelona, Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdogger
Im new to this, do we just keep updating our picture until its finished, and then post the final in this thread right?
anyway heres my progress so far

Mdogger - Looks like youre off to a great start Please remember that although details of master copies are allowed, your subject must contain an angel or devil element to it.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:46 AM   #53
luckydesign
Ahoy!
portfolio
Lucky
Computer Graphics student
Auckland, New Zealand

Send a message via MSN to luckydesign
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaHateChimp
Mdogger - Looks like youre off to a great start Please remember that although details of master copies are allowed, your subject must contain an angel or devil element to it.

what about the angel in the cloud? :P I'm trying out my crappy ps skills on this image aswell, and i keep thinking im using the wrong brushes XP wip

Old 02-17-2007, 02:01 AM   #54
Mercuralis
Wacom Warrior

portfolio
Melissa Findley
Freelance artist
Tallahassee, USA

Send a message via AIM to Mercuralis
I've been here for awhile, but mostly in the DSForums. I've never participated in one of these, but I'd like to try.

While this isn't a replica of any of the master works, I'm trying to draw from more than one of them for inspiration, composition, pose, lighting, etc. I've always wanted to do a chiaroscuro painting.

Does this meet the guidelines?

I think compositionally, I need to expand my canvas a little on the top and bottom. I have a tendency to get really caught up in trying to perfect the anatomy, which results in it being wrong anyway and it looking incredibly stiff. I'm trying to loosen up a little, and I feel like this is a good start.

Should I keep going with it, or throw it in the scraps?

Old 02-17-2007, 02:11 AM   #55
TimMehmet
Frequenter

portfolio
Tim Mehmet
Barking, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to TimMehmet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaHateChimp

Ok I got it In that case Ill just change it to a full master copy.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:41 AM   #56
ThePatches
Frequenter

portfolio
Amanda Lore
Pittsburgh, USA

Mercuralis: I like it! I'd say it's definitly angelic/demony yup yup.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:55 AM   #57
MechaHateChimp
O.G.

portfolio
Joel Carlo%2B%2B
Renaissance man
Barcelona, Spain

Cavematty - Good to have you back and thanks for the compliment on the IFX tuts!

matwire - Looking very nice! Keep the great updates coming!

almostkungfu - glad to see youre experimenting! If youre up to it, my suggestion would be to keep playing with it and maybe use a photo reference similar to the position/angle your subject is in. Otherwise, looking forward to seeing your master copy

Nothingness - I like your idea! Im definitely interested in seeing how you develop it further. Good luck!

Ravmaster - I think youre off to a good start but your proportions need work. Have you ever considered blocking out dimensions with just raw shapes? Its a common technique that has really helped me in the past for gauging proportions and could be something that may help out a bit. Since youre working in natural media, I would suggest using some light gray design markers to lay down your shapes to rough out your basic light and dark areas first and then lay down your line work over your value study. Ive made a quick example done in PS to show you the general idea:

Old 02-17-2007, 03:58 AM   #58
botched
Scribbler

portfolio
Gustaf Fjelstrom
Illustrator
San Jose, USA

Awesome! This looks like a fun one. I'm going to try my best to make some time for this one... but then thats what I said about the last couple workshops. Here's to wishful thinking.

» B O T C H E D (gustaf fjelstrom)
The Botched Blog (um.... my blog)

Old 02-17-2007, 03:59 AM   #59
MechaHateChimp
O.G.

portfolio
Joel Carlo%2B%2B
Renaissance man
Barcelona, Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydesign
what about the angel in the cloud? :P I'm trying out my crappy ps skills on this image aswell, and i keep thinking im using the wrong brushes XP wip

Its perfectly ok to use any of the reference images to create your master copy, just make sure there is an element of either an angel or devil in your final image.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:01 AM   #60
Intervain

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Magdalena Dadela
Senior Character Artist
Ubisoft Toronto
Toronto, Canada

this one got me really excited - I think I'll join in the fun 3d this time methinks

Thread Closed share thread