TUTORIAL - Figurative Concept Pieces - by Gangus

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 02 February 2007   #61
What about the paper? Which one do you tend to use? do you use like a normal paper to do thumbs or sketches and bristol paper to do the final drawing?

Myspace www.myspace.com/olszakmike

Sketchbook

Old 02 February 2007   #62
Very helpfull topic, its always interesting to see how an artist works

Old 02 February 2007   #63
Hey Glen! Thanks very much for the info - really appreciate it!

Cheers
p.s. yeah Montreal's a really beautiful city

Old 02 February 2007   #64
Hey guys,
michael-olszak: The paper that I prefer to work on is that bristol smmoth illustration paper that comes
in the 14 by 20" pads. I tend to do my thumbs on yhr same page out around the corners of the illos space so that I can always refer back tothem without digging through reams of old paper.

As brand goes I am pretty oblivious to any major differences as they go- so long as they are aproximately the same stuff- (Depends what Michaels or Hobby Lobby) happens to stock at the time- I think right now I have a Canson pad o paper. Hope this answers your question.

Respectfully,
Gangus

No problem Intervain: Glad I could be of assistance - let me know if you ever have any other questions.
www.gangus.net

Old 02 February 2007   #65
Very cool. I'm glad you put these up and I'm adding my name to those looking forward to your workshop.

Old 02 February 2007   #66
Tutorial addition_part 2- Dressing up a Drawing Digitally

Hi Guys,

I have decided to add to this tutorial and give you more insight into the kind of things I will want to address in the upcoming workshop.

I hope you enjoy this, and can hopefully get a few tips or tricks to add to your arsenals.
If there is nothing new to you here- I hope you enjoy this for shits and giggles.

Respectfully,

Glen

PS -I am posting a larger full compilation of this with the final piece and another character concept to the 2D gallery- If it gets in please check it out and show your workshop support

This will also be viewable with another larger related piece in my portfolio here on CGtalk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tutorial_02_part-1.jpg (89.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg tutorial_02_part-2.jpg (88.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg tutorial_02_part-3.jpg (89.4 KB, 86 views)
www.gangus.net

Last edited by Rebeccak : 02 February 2007 at 02:32 PM.

Old 02 February 2007   #67
Here's the final piece.

It will be posted larger in my portfolio if you want to get a closer look.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg coluseum-announcer-small.jpg (89.4 KB, 35 views)
www.gangus.net

Last edited by Rebeccak : 02 February 2007 at 02:22 PM.

Old 02 February 2007   #68
Oh Glen, this is fantastic! Thanks for sharing! If only I could draw like this *sigh* I love the character, really sneaky look [made me think of Uriah Heep LOL - he's the villain] I also love your masked girl that you've put in the portfolio

Old 02 February 2007   #69
cool man. thanks for the answers and the tut man. this really helps.

Sketchbook

Old 02 February 2007   #70
Beautiful work. Thank you for the additional tutorial!

LOL Al Gore's internet...the one made of tubes?

EDIT: A serious question - I would be interested in knowing how you learned to draw - what methods you found the most useful, and whether you have always drawn in this style, or whether it evolved as a result of study of a particular kind of artform. Also I am curious to know the kind of study you generally recommend to other artists who are interested in drawing the human form in a stylized manner.

Cheers!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 02 February 2007 at 02:58 PM.

Old 02 February 2007   #71
God I am so glad you included an explanation as to your wonderfully textured backgrounds as this was something that really enchanted me about your drawings, but I did not dare to ask, because it seemed a bit ignorant to ask for the bg with so wonderful concpets in the foreground, heh...

Also, noone else seemed to wonder which made me think that I gotta be the only noob out there who does not know how to do it...

thanks!

Old 02 February 2007   #72
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Beautiful work. Thank you for the additional tutorial!

LOL Al Gore's internet...the one made of tubes?

EDIT: A serious question - I would be interested in knowing how you learned to draw - what methods you found the most useful, and whether you have always drawn in this style, or whether it evolved as a result of study of a particular kind of artform. Also I am curious to know the kind of study you generally recommend to other artists who are interested in drawing the human form in a stylized manner.

Cheers!

Thanks Rebeccak,
Excellent question. Sorry if I couldn't field it right away.
Not to discount my high school teacher (probably one of the meanest ol bastards you would find in the catholic Canadian school system- but extremely influential) my college experience
and professors I would have to say I am self taught.
There are some deciding factors that have greatly influenced my style. As with past artists I have naturally been influenced by my peers and those before me.

To give a basic run down- As a young'n - My greatest inspiration came from the elegant linework illustrations of Jeff Dee and Rosloff from that old purple hard cover Deities and demigods book for Dungeons and Dragons. They are tough to find - but man the simplicity of the gods drawn in there and the strength of their poses are still a real influence in my work today.

Next I went to University and frustrated by the overly "fine art" approach and the general dislike of my attention to detail and sense of realism I ended up studying as an art history major. There I fell in love with the art of Alphonse Much and Maxfield Parish. I found the same sense of designed elegance that first grabed my eye in the deities book.

I then went to college for Graphic Design (yeah I know still not directly related to fantasy art or digital painting and concept work- but boy I sure am getting older) Ironically it wasn't until I started teaching at the same school years later and being forced to teach a basic
Design class, for which I was originally loathe to do -being more an illustrator at heart.
It was here where I learned myself -to apply the basic principals of design towards every piece that I worked on.

Another huge step in the self teaching process was to finally come into contact with a similar style real life fantasy artist. Arnie Swekel- A popular Magic artist and D&D illustrator need help with some jobs he had at the time. It was a huge thing for me to see his original drawings- I changed that day seeing that actual pencil on board- with a new found sense of direction and a friendly hand into the industry I began drawing more and more.
(Later in years I like to think I paid some of my debt back to Arnie by pushing him to paint onthe computer- but it is tough to equal inspiration like that-especially at that time in my life where you start to think it is impossible to make a living doing something you love)

From there I slowly refined and refined my style until it began to take it's own form. Ironically (again) I still do not see "style" in my own work. I just see it as "my stuff" everyone tells me I have a drawing style but I really don't see it- where as I could look at someone like Miracola or Velinov and say now there's a style.

If I were to recomend a study for anyone seeking to draw with a certain style- I would say three things:
1) Draw more! These workshop and anatomy forums are great to push you to do that- but you have to be continuosly drawing the figure until it becomes second nature- then I think once you are comfortable enough in your rendering that your style will emerge. Often I don't feel that people focus enough on anatomy (myself included) It helps in drawing everything. Understanding how the body holds itself, the joints support and counter support the weight- will help even the oddest of creature designs themselves have a sense of style and believability.

2) Go and see other peoples artwork in person. standing a foot away from an original and seeing the actual hatchmarks- the places where they made mistakes, and the impressions in the paper or board make all thew difference in the world. The same goes for learning to paint. Seeing Lockwood's original oil paintings actually helped me work out in my mind how to paint better digitally. They are that impressive.

3) Network and learn from your peers- I now get the pleasure of working alongside some great artists at Raven as well as get excellent feedback from this forum. I share an office with Mitch Cotie www.mcotie.com who is an awesome very stylized artist himself- who has greatly influenced my work in the past 4 years. Also getting to work with a friend and peer from the entertainment community with lighting and animation experience www.dhay.net has really made a difference with how I approach each composition as a lit scene. There are some serious talents here on CGtalk if they make themselves availabe I suggest picking up whatever tips or inspiration from them that you can (I sure do)

Oh well, I hop this answers Rebeccak's question and gives you guys some insights on how I draw the way I do.

Respectfully,
Gangus
www.gangus.net

Old 02 February 2007   #73
Heres another pencil- you can check out the larger version in the blueline that it was drawn in at my cgportfolio.

Please stop by the 2D finished section if you want to see it painted- should hopefully be up by Saturday.

Hope you like,

Glen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X-Men-Illo_pencil_small.jpg (88.9 KB, 28 views)
www.gangus.net

Last edited by Rebeccak : 02 February 2007 at 04:08 PM.

Old 02 February 2007   #74
Gangus,

Thanks so much for the in depth reply - that is incredibly insightful, and I think rings true for many people wanting to create realistic work in a university system devoted mostly to 'fine art'. It's great to see this level of traditional work with an explanation of your background as I think it's an encouraging benchmark and example of what is possible with pencil, paper, and practice (the 3 P's) - very much looking forward to your Workshop in April.

One more question, if you get the chance - are there any specific anatomy books that you might recommend to others? And are there more influential artists whom you might name?

Cheers

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 02 February 2007   #75
Hey Gangus. My girlfriend just baught a new X-BOX game (Marvel Ultimate Alliance) you made the artwork for it right? Cool stuff man.

Sketchbook

reply share thread