TUTORIAL - Traditional Pencil Shading Technique - by Icey (NUDITY)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2007   #46
Gorgeous stuff Icey!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2007   #47
Yep.

Lovely!
Thanks for sharing your process steps

Old 10 October 2007   #48
Say you were paying attention.
Very powerful....

Old 11 November 2007   #49
Smile

Awesome!!! i've never touch my pencil since i recognized corel i think ill start it over again ... thanx for inspiring

Old 01 January 2008   #50
Question rubbing/blending

Hi!
a quick question: Do professional artists use anything to blend/rub their drawing, when they use graphite/charcoal/conté? In general, is it a good thing to do, or should it be avoided?
Thanks

Old 01 January 2008   #51
trying to adapt the tutorial..

Hi!

Also my first post to the forum, though i've been reading for a while. Started drawing two months ago and i think this tutorial helped me a lot. The stuff i did before lacked any contrast.
Thanks a lot!
Still made many mistakes here, e.g. first using a HB and then a 4B for the dark areas, also my wet hands smudged the paper terribly.

Old 01 January 2008   #52
Happy New Year!

Rebecca - thank you! But i do think that someone better at this should have this plug instead of me.

NR43 - Thank you! Really appreciate it! Have a great year!

Mr Mentler – I try to. I would be a shame for all the knowledge people gathered all this time to get wasted without even pinching the surface. A lot to learn not only by drawing but by listening. Thank you for opening the doors.

Mantankyai - Glad I did. Do start drawing traditionally because learning in digital medium is hard! I wouldn’t advise that to anybody. Traditional pencil is not overrated!

Elijah – As a beginner you shouldn’t rub the paper unless you are using coal/charcoal. I use to rub the paper like hell when I knew nothing about drawing, but that turned out to be a mess, so if you don’t control everything from form to lighting very well, I would advice not to try any blending that you can’t get with pencils. William Whitaker has a tutorial where he uses charcoal on one of his perfect paintings!

Nothing should stop you trying! Try everything, every new thing that crosses your mind. You can never do wrong in that.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20857

http://www.williamwhitaker.com/

FloJ – Hello and welcome! I’m honored that this is your firs post. I can’t open the link, but it doesn’t look bad at all! Certainly for 2 months of drawing this shows enormous potential! Glad you’ve stepped by!

Wish you the best for 2008!! Thank you for your replies.

Icey

Old 01 January 2008   #53
what an amazing resource! Thank you Icey, these tutorials are very inspiring, loaded with insightful quotes, and the artwork is just beautiful!
I love looking at artwork that just makes me want to draw.

Old 02 February 2008   #54
its my first visit here to your thread and i like your pencil work .. i like how you treat the shading and lights ... great work keep it up

Old 02 February 2009   #55
great tutorials! Only thing i do disagree is the fact you change things that look dull (in your first tut the jaws of the "emoes") you should hold them so you can keep it as realistic as possible.

Love your drawingstyle though! (also worth trying to draw with inkt, that way you need to look better before you draw because you don't have an erraser)

Can also be done without using ctrl + z on your wacom

Old 03 March 2010   #56
Foarte tare frate!

Awesome dude!

Old 10 October 2010   #57
Thank you! Looks great!

Old 10 October 2010   #58
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread