Open Figure Drawing Workshop - Mixed Masters - 020

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2006
Great stuff going on here guys - keep posting!

If you'd like to stay up with this thread after the plug goes off the front page, be sure to bookmark / subscribe to this thread in order to find it later.

Also, everyone please create new posts for updates rather than updating older ones since no one will know you've updated if you update an old post. We definitely want to see your work!

Keep up the good work!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2006
I like the aesthetics of these refs.

12 December 2006
I'll try Lord Leighton

Hi, my name is Patrick Miller. I recently took Chris Palomino's Painter IX course. I'd like to continue. Do I have to convert my work to JPG to upload or can I leave in RIFF? Here is my lyout, using 2B pencil and pastel. Patrick

12 December 2006
YAY and WOOT ! this will be fun!!!

12 December 2006
Cool

Hi everybody
some good stuff here ! Maybe I'll post a try in this challenge(if I have enough time).
Good luck for everybody !

12 December 2006
Uploads

I just tried to upload my layout image using the technique I used for the CG online course (resizing and converting toJPG) but the image did not post. Do I have to use the image hosting source to participate? Patrick (snartist)

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by snartist: I just tried to upload my layout image using the technique I used for the CG online course (resizing and converting toJPG) but the image did not post. Do I have to use the image hosting source to participate? Patrick (snartist)

Hi Patrick,

The CGWorkshops forums operate differently than the main, open forums of CGTalk - you need an image host to post to CGTalk's forums, this thread should help you out:

New to CGTalk? Learn how to post IMAGES here!
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=267088

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2006
Imageshack.us That should work for you.

BTW post in JPEG, RIFF might not be supported.

Sketchbook

12 December 2006
aggie93 - yeah, I hope so ^^

DigitalSol - Thanks! =D Ill do my best!

Elliepower - Looking very nice so far! You made me want to revisit my pencils

Kuraudo - The face is very nice! What bothers you? =o

And well, here is my update for today. This is my first time using a LCD screen, I dont like the colors here >.< going to check how it looks like on my good old CRT when I get home~

I tried to fixed the face. How is it looking now?

12 December 2006
Sula - Your rendering is great. What medium are you using, acryllics? There is something about her eyes. It is like her right eye is a little too small. Other than that it is coming along great.

My new anatomy thread

My Graphic Novel thread! & Blog

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Art is never finished, It's abandoned!

12 December 2006
Great job everyone

Sulamoon: You are great. It could just be me, but I think she has a tan. Maybe a little lighter?

Ellipower: Great pencil work! I'll be interested to see how this one turns out.

I'm taking too much time on line work. Im studying Graves on blocking in masses right now. Maybe that will help in the future.. but for now, I'm building using sticks and thread. I will post a WIP tonight or tommorow. Keep up the good work everybody!

------------------------------------------------------------------
My Website
My Anatomy Thread (nudity)
XianNC's WIPs

12 December 2006
Hi all! I chose n.8, by Ingres, mainly because I want to have a go at painting different types of beautiful materials and I am really liking that blue satin and lace. Here's what i could manage this evening, some pretty sad looking lines here, as I am desperate and using an aiptek pen with a trust tablet...a really awful combination I'd say...at x-mas santa should be bringing me a wacom if I'm good Using a grid for proportions.

12 December 2006
Hi everyone,

Some lovely work here so far! Great to see all the WIP coming in. I've been working on the Ingres / blue dress piece, here is where I've gotten so far - everything is just roughed in, and has lots of refining stages to go:

Gif of the process so far:

Keep up the great work everyone!

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 12 December 2006 at 01:38 AM.

12 December 2006
Hi all

great to see the updates and excitement so far!

I'll come back and comment more soon, nice to see a few variations on the same painting (Ingres blue dress and Biondina, sure that there will be more soon..)

Uziel - did you plan on taking yours further? she does look a bit older, but it's a great start and the colours are looking good

Ellie - Nice work so far

Vivien82 - looking good, keep an eye on that "long" nose of hers

Rebeccak - Smooooooth

All are going great - keep it up

Bit of an update; messy photo, so sorry about that I'm working on canvas in arcylics and really just started mapping it out so far:

001-Biondina

cheers all and take care
a.

12 December 2006
Hi guys, I posted these pointers elsewhere, but thought someone might benefit from them here.

Please bear in mind that I'm not 'teaching' this Workshop, I'm here to learn as much or more than everyone else. Everyone is free to offer advice, tutorials, step by steps, and feedback - whatever you feel is useful and whatever you have to contribute here is very much encouraged!

One thing that can be enormously useful when digitally painting is zooming way out on both your reference image and your own image. This helps you to see the major areas of light and dark and the major shapes and forms. The way to paint is from large to small, and from dark to light.

Here's a screenshot to illustrate what I mean. When zoomed out this far, I can easily see my mistakes in comparison to the original and can easily correct them at a distance without worrying too much about the details. You want to be sure to get the biggest areas right first before detailing your image any further. I find that I work zoomed out for the majority of the time when I've first started an image, and alternately zoom out / in frequently for the duration of the rest of the painting.

Also, there are some key principles which I hope these images help to demonstrate:

When first learning digital painting, it can be tremendously useful to work in grayscale. You can put both your image and reference in grayscale mode. I recommend creating 4 swatches: white, light gray, mid gray, and black. Using your brush, hit the alt key and your brush will temporarily turn into the eyedropper tool, and you can select any color or value from your canvas / swatches by hovering over the canvas while holding down the alt key. Release the alt key, and your brush will return to the brush tool.

Hope this is useful!

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread