WORKSHOP - Character Development Pipeline #001 - "THE HEAD HUNTER"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2006   #46
Originally Posted by default-rol: @benkashmir >>> Good to see you have fleshed out the initial brief a little with your own particular twist. Like I said, this is not essential, (I know everyone works differently) but I'm doing it too as I work on this brief.

Humans or mutants, nice range. Have you considered humans with a mutant twist or vice-versa? >>> to show they have evolved, or been genetically manipulated at least from human origins? (I personally think they have been evolved from human origins because their sternocleidomastoid is set in biped orientation on the necks of your mutant designs.)

Good to throw ideas out there, now start to tune them in more. No.6 of the mutants looks good to me, rock on!

@michael-olszak >>> Good to hear you so fired up, looking forward to seeing what you produce.

MIKE

hey mike.

your brief is very good for igniting the imagintaiong, this way everyone can make their own twists but still remain focus on a main theme.. i liked how you didnt caged the overall concept
as this twist gave me so much freedom of creativty
i also prefer no.6 , i now make him (as well as no.3) in various poses to check what suits best

and yeah, they will be humanoid...

Old 11 November 2006   #47
Talking 01 - Thumbs

Hey all,

Here is my first thumbnail attempt for the brief, done this afternoon. I'm trying to get the combat/military aspect of his/her dress down first. Then I plan on adding a juxtaposition of native/tribal elements to the combat outfit.

Like I said, these thumbs are early stage "thinking out loud" pieces, but if anyone sees anything they like, please shout up. We are all here to help each other get the best out of the workshop after all!!

@benkashmir >>> I'm glad you liked the brief!!

Cheers

MIKE

Old 11 November 2006   #48
el cortador de cabezas

i made the character with a look that reminds me of "Death" and a bit of a Sith
I´m using Painter. This are first and mid steps. I hope i will find some moment to finish it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CORTADOR_L.jpg (59.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg cortador2_L.jpg (67.1 KB, 85 views)

Old 11 November 2006   #49
Sounds like a fun workshop - I would love to incorporate the 3d, but will only have time for the 2d portion. Good luck to everyone participating!

Old 11 November 2006   #50
Originally Posted by davidportoles: i made the character with a look that reminds me of "Death" and a bit of a Sith
I´m using Painter. This are first and mid steps. I hope i will find some moment to finish it

Wow, i like your stile and the palette that you used.
I hope that you can finish your character
www.pixelonstudios.com

Old 11 November 2006   #51
i think this is a great idea, and i look forward to participate, there allready great sketches in so litle time.

Old 11 November 2006   #52
its all about da pose!

mike - i dig this modern military styles you got there.... tribal elements? thats intresting.. anxiuos to see it..

cant tell which one is best tough.. they are too similiar to me. (i'd go for a he tough)
on second thought... i prefer the top left one, as it shows some more flesh to it rather then sleeves.. will work better i think.

well, i cant also decide about my concept either..
this time i dont have something that i strongly like most like in the heads...
i tend to prefer 2.. but the other headhunter style is also intresting to me, sorta like a sniper..
i'd like to hear what you people thinks..

Last edited by benkashmir : 11 November 2006 at 07:22 PM.

Old 11 November 2006   #53
Man, great idea, I wish I could participate, I have too much to do though. I do know the curator for headhunters and I have tons of books and artifacts in my house abuot headhunters, so it wuold be great to impliment that stuff in, wish i had the time

Old 11 November 2006   #54
dis is mine i put maybe 5 hours in it, done on photoshop.

it's about a powerful dark elf witch lady who done a mighty
love potion for dis undead tree man and now dat he's fallen for
her, she refuses him her love unless he bring her 500 hundred human skulls.
yea she not really want his love she just trick him to bring her
skulls cuz she finds em pretty.
he's beginning to suspect dere's sumthin fishy about dis.

---

i never rigged , really lookin forward to it.

---

Old 11 November 2006   #55
great storry and sketch Panu looking forward to the rest... i never rigged either...keep it up.

Old 11 November 2006   #56
I went for more of an eastern eurpoean mad max look. I tried to give him weapons which wouldn't be ammo/materials consuming, stuff that he could recycle, and that would also allow him to take off heads pretty clean.

I think he needs to be a bit more savage looking in the next iteration. I'm diggin the jerry-rigged weapons though.

Old 11 November 2006   #57
how many of u are doing in game model? Cinematic model?

Old 11 November 2006   #58
I'll try my hand at this...I don't do character stuff at work so will be a nice change.

I've gone for the "hellraiser" serial killer approch. I had a pretty good idea in my head what I wanted so just went a head and did an overall rough of the character...I'll do further studies later and If I have time might even try and do a low poly model.

K

Old 11 November 2006   #59
Did a bit of research and came upon some interesting information of Celtic Headhunters. Sounded like a unique combination of characters so heres my attempt at some early concept stuff. Supposedly, Celtic headhunters used to take the head of the slain and hang them on display at the front of their horse. Hopefully, I can manage to get through this challenge and complete my idea.

--- kind of going for a stylized realism -----

Will be using Maya to model, maybe a touch of Zbrush and Mental Ray to render.

...hope you like.

mike.kasper@gmail.com

Old 11 November 2006   #60
Ok, here's my first stab (no pun intended) at this guy). This is just a thinking phase...so not sure how much will change yet. Some great pieces in the thread already.

Cris

Thread Closed share thread