WORKSHOP - Character Development Pipeline #001 - "THE HEAD HUNTER"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2006
Okay, I may or may not join this depending on how much time I have. But I do have the question of not if we're supposed to post in this thread, but what we're supposed to post in this thread.

This is a character design development workshop, so there's going to be a LOT of developement work to show. Dirty sketches, throwaway drawings, off-side notes, the works. And that's just 2d. I guess what I'm asking is: do you want all of that, or just the finished products, somewhere in-between, or leave it up to our discretion?

Last edited by Narratorway : 11 November 2006 at 05:56 AM.

11 November 2006
awww... no one eles wants to play??

11 November 2006
I'm going to let Mike answer questions tomorrow since this is his Workshop.

Here's my bit for now - just a fast sketch, trying to get a menacing looking fellow with some battle scars on his head eventually - please feel free to use this as a benchmark, eg, "I can do *sooo* much better than this - ultimately he's going to have more of a European than an Am. Indian look:

EDIT: updated new concept:

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 11 November 2006 at 05:22 AM.

11 November 2006
Thumbs up

Sounds great! I'm in. I'm a little confused, though, about where exactly to post my WIP & final work. I notice that people have started replying to this thread, but your description of where to put the thread makes it seem as if it should be under the Tutorials and Workshops section, with each thread titled "CDP #001 Workshop Thread of...."

Let me know and I'll post where appropriate.

I'll start working on the head hunter design -- to be sketched in Photoshop and pencil & paper and a maquette made in either Chavant clay or Super Sculpey. I'll definitely use every moment of the allotted time for each phase with hopes of coming up with a number of ideas since my first will most likely not be my best.

Thanks for creating the workshop. Great stuff!

Alec

11 November 2006
Originally Posted by Gentrifier: I'm a little confused, though, about where exactly to post my WIP & final work. I notice that people have started replying to this thread, but your description of where to put the thread makes it seem as if it should be under the Tutorials and Workshops section, with each thread titled "CDP #001 Workshop Thread of...."

Let me know and I'll post where appropriate.

Hi Gentrifier, just to clarify the confusion:

Please post ALL of your WIP and work here to this main WORKSHOP thread.

You are also welcome, though not required, to also keep track of your individual progress in the Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads section, with each thread titled "CDP #001 Workshop Thread of...." as you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 11 November 2006 at 06:44 AM.

11 November 2006
I've been visiting these forums for a while now and have yet to post anything. This project sounds interesting and I think i'll give it a try. My problem is the descrtiption of the character we are supposed to be designing is a little vague. Is post Eastern Europe after the cold war or some other time and what side is the character supposed to be on?

11 November 2006

Don't mind the chick, I was drawing that in class...
I have 3 concepts... ninja, fat joe lookalike tribeman, and a long haired assassin...
I think I like the fatjoe headhunter version the best.
I could do more drawings but I want to get started on the model soon.

11 November 2006
Smile

Great! Im joining in, hope I can finnish this too! I wanted to develop a renegade type of character for very loong time..

Well now to the bussiness, heres my first sketch, some kind of idea. Im going to change it, I can think of it as a part of my searching process so look for huge changes because Im on the start and not satisfied yet.

Concept:

Ive imaginated a biker (yes Im going to model a bike too!) with some eastern europe marks, some kind of Mad Max like character (I like the sew-off shotgun idea too - maybe some AK-47 for clear setting him to the region ).

This sketch is the first and rough - not showing his character (namely because of his loosy painted face), personality and also his clothes and accesories are still too causal...

I would like to go for some stylized look (exagerated facial features etc) but maintaining photorealism in lighting, materials and textures (hair and fur) - it will be hipoly char for cinematics in mind...

so stay tuned for updates

11 November 2006
-sounds really intresting. great opputunity to get some quality-work done, with hopefully loads of useful crits.
really hope to take part of the next one. got plenty of work to be done atm.
good luck to everybody participating.

-r

11 November 2006
Luiz: I really like the design...i can visualize him running around with his scythe behading people..lol..i can also see him with scars...

Becca: looking good so far ;+) nothing to crit yet... he kind has a little european feel into him already ;P

Libor: I like the idea of a mad biker headhunter... with some automated beheading weapon attached on the bike..great sketch

Digiegg: I agree with you i like the fatjoe one too...but the tribeman too you could combine the too perhaps....

yay...good stuff now i got to come up with something too!!!

11 November 2006
Talking

Originally Posted by yencaray: So anyone can join? And it's free? am i right or did i miss something?

Yup it's free, yup you get peer critique and of course you can join in!! God bless the internet, eh?!...

Originally Posted by Narratorway: Okay, I may or may not join this depending on how much time I have. But I do have the question of not if we're supposed to post in this thread, but what we're supposed to post in this thread.

This is a character design development workshop, so there's going to be a LOT of developement work to show. Dirty sketches, throwaway drawings, off-side notes, the works. And that's just 2d. I guess what I'm asking is: do you want all of that, or just the finished products, somewhere in-between, or leave it up to our discretion?

Hey Narratorway >>> You answered your own question in the last part! Nothing much else for me to add other than if you reckon it needs to be shown to explain your concept, lets see it!!

Originally Posted by Steve Bernstein: I've been visiting these forums for a while now and have yet to post anything. This project sounds interesting and I think i'll give it a try. My problem is the descrtiption of the character we are supposed to be designing is a little vague. Is post Eastern Europe after the cold war or some other time and what side is the character supposed to be on?

Hey Steve,

The character description was intentionally vague, a sort of written Rorschach Inkblot Test if you will, so that it will fire your imagination to finish the rest of the sentence, paragraph and story in your head, and then communicate it with visual tools (i.e. your drawings) so that others will understand. There are no right and wrong answers for the brief, (as in all art.)

Originally Posted by Steve Bernstein: Is post Eastern Europe after the cold war or some other time and what side is the character supposed to be on?

You make this decision. Is the character from the end of the cold war, or from a future time when another conflict has destroyed/unified Eastern Europe? Or is it something else altogether? You decide, again it is all good. You can make a hero character or an evil one. Is he out for justice? (like head hunting the people who destroyed his Country/village/whatever) or is he a military killer gone renegade, living by his own rules and writing his own missions as he goes along? Again, you decide....

To everyone,

Can't wait to see all the amazing ideas you people come up with, and great to see the ideas already on display. Well done all who have participated so far.

Cheers

MIKE

Last edited by default-rol : 11 November 2006 at 11:18 AM.

11 November 2006
head hunters.. weee!!!

okay, i havent seen the last post by mike giving a much more creative range, so i did those sort of modern routine sketches, i will post some new heads very soon, hoping you guys could help me pick the best one out of them (think concept ,notlevel of drawing), after words i will make several poses, outfits, weapons, gudgets, items, scenes for you to help me decide, this way i could benefit most from the workshop..

well here goes the first faces

btw - thank you mike and rebbeca for giving so much effort in contributing to this forum and its peoples.. you guys are pure gold.

11 November 2006
head hunters - next gen

well, as i promised, new heads

my story for them (abit overdone story)

the real cold war never ended with the fall of the curtain wall, the russians, after losing the race to the moon and the nuclear weapon turn thier military scientists for a new accomplisment.. the genetic engineering field.. a field which the very quickly learned to master..

they have created variuos creature, some desinged to employ in night, some in the harsh vegetation of the tropic jungles, some in the heating sun of the desert and some in the dirty sewers of large urban areas, some were inspired and combined from aquatic creatures, some from ground predators and some from night stalking beasts, but they were all desinged for one purpose, and one purpose only.. to hunt and kill.

here are the new heads, i would like you peoples to tell me which one is the best concept.. note that the color and level of detail will be improved after i pick one..

personally i tend to prefer either 3 or 6.
(each head took about 10-15 mins overall)

Last edited by benkashmir : 11 November 2006 at 03:09 PM.

11 November 2006
Oh yeah! this is awesome!

I too wanted to do something like this. Now i'll have a good practice at it. ROCKS!!

Myspace www.myspace.com/olszakmike

Sketchbook

11 November 2006
@benkashmir >>> Good to see you have fleshed out the initial brief a little with your own particular twist. Like I said, this is not essential, (I know everyone works differently) but I'm doing it too as I work on this brief.

Humans or mutants, nice range. Have you considered humans with a mutant twist or vice-versa? >>> to show they have evolved, or been genetically manipulated at least from human origins? (I personally think they have been evolved from human origins because their sternocleidomastoid is set in biped orientation on the necks of your mutant designs.)

Good to throw ideas out there, now start to tune them in more. No.6 of the mutants looks good to me, rock on!

@michael-olszak >>> Good to hear you so fired up, looking forward to seeing what you produce.

MIKE

Thread Closed share thread