WORKSHOP - Character Development Pipeline #001 - "THE HEAD HUNTER"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2006
Originally Posted by werepumpkin: When you say this should be "portfolio based" what does that mean?

This means that we are trying to get individuals to build a body of work that will be useful when applying for character artist/conceptual character art based positions.

Originally Posted by werepumpkin: That I should only post what I consider portfolio worthy?

If you feel that the work you have done in any of the sections is what you would deem worthy of showing to others, to either explain a concept (i.e. working drawings, orthographics, wireframes and texture art) or explain the full concept ( finished 2D art, or 3D art) then it is worth showing to the communtity here. This is personal vetting, and prevents the thread from being clogged up with millions of thumbnails or "30 second" sketches etc. I am personally only showing the community work which I would show to a potential employer.

Originally Posted by werepumpkin: That I should post work already in my portfolio? In which case you're saying the discussion CAN/MAY be as beneficial discussing existing character design, not necessarily work created specifcally for this forum. Which, by the way, I agree with.

The purpose of this thread is a workshop to generate new work for your portfolio. Old work/work on a similar theme that has already been completed should be posted to your sketchbook thread if you have one. If you don't please feel free to set one up on the relevant sub forum.

Originally Posted by werepumpkin: I have significant character work I can post here, even recent work. Would posting those be within theparamerters of this therad?

Thanks.

If the work is not done for this specific workshop and project, then it should be posted to other, relevant threads. This allows me to keep the workshop focused on the generation of new work and improving peoples skills through peer critique.

Hope that helps clear it up for you!!

Originally Posted by anim_ziggy: hahah i think i will... ermmm dumb question at the end of the day.... do we post here?

Yes!! Please post the work you are creating for this workshop here!!

Cheers

MIKE

11 November 2006
:)

Howdy Guys

This workshop came like a glove

Since yesterday I've been thinking about creating a character pipeline to improve my portfolio, so here it is ... thanks to everyone involved on this thread.

cheers

11 November 2006
Is there a way we can make our own little forum section?
just like how they do the lighting challenge and the cg challenge.
it hink putting everything in here could get messy.

11 November 2006
Originally Posted by Digiegg: Is there a way we can make our own little forum section?
just like how they do the lighting challenge and the cg challenge.
it hink putting everything in here could get messy.

Hi Digiegg,

The way that these Workshops work best, I've found, is to have a centralized WORKSHOP thread, such as the one we are on, to which all participants post their WIPs as work is generated. This keeps a community spirit and keeps everyone motivated and people are not obligated to check multiple individual threads to keep up with what others are working on.

What I recommend is the following:

Everyone who participates in the Workshop always posts their WIPs and final images / projects to this Main Workshop Thread.

Participants have the *option* of also creating their own Personal Workshop Thread here:

Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200

The naming convention for Workshop participants who are participating only in this Workshop or type of Workshop should be:

CDP #001 Workshop Thread of *Your Name*

(without the asterisks*)

For those who already have a Personal Sketchbook Thread, they may simply post their work to their existing threads.

So, for all participating, please ALWAYS post your WIPs to this main Workshop thread, but you also have the option of creating a personal Workshop Thread to keep track of your own individual progress in a linear fashion.

Please understand that feedback will only be given by Mike / default-rol to those posting to this Workshop Thread, as keeping track of multiple individual threads just becomes too time consuming.

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to seeing everyone's participation!

EDIT: I've also added these guidelines to the beginning of the thread.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 11 November 2006 at 07:34 PM.

11 November 2006
Looks cool bud, I'll see what I can do.

11 November 2006
is it alright to post studies (sketches etc) of research? for example i'm looking into The shuas and soviet soldiers n doing doodles to come up with an idea and have them as refernce too...

11 November 2006
Originally Posted by anim_ziggy: is it alright to post studies (sketches etc) of research? for example i'm looking into The shuas and soviet soldiers n doing doodles to come up with an idea and have them as refernce too...

Hi there anim_ziggy, I think you should feel free to treat this as your virtual work space. It will be quite cool to see different peoples' work processes in action.

Keep in mind you want to have a finished piece, be it 2D, 3D, or both, at the end of the Workshop. Please don't just post sketches and not complete a Concept. Create artwork that is worthy of your Portfolio.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 11 November 2006 at 08:39 PM.

11 November 2006
What a fabulous idea! I can only do 2D but please count me in, I need lots of help.

11 November 2006
Smile

Originally Posted by anim_ziggy: is it alright to post studies (sketches etc) of research? for example i'm looking into The shuas and soviet soldiers n doing doodles to come up with an idea and have them as refernce too...

RK has answered the post, so I'd just like to re-enforce what I said to werepumpkin a little bit earlier, which was;

"If you feel that the work you have done in any of the sections is what you would deem worthy of showing to others, to either explain a concept (i.e. working drawings, orthographics, wireframes and texture art) or explain the full concept ( finished 2D art, or 3D art) then it is worth showing to the communtity here. This is personal vetting, and prevents the thread from being clogged up with millions of thumbnails or "30 second" sketches etc."

WIP stuff is obviously useful to show at an early stage as it explains where your idea is going, but just keep in mind the quality of it. If you feel it is worthy of showing, then be my guest!

Hope that helps!

MIKE

11 November 2006
brainstorming 01 The Shuar.

don't know what i'll come up with but i was definatelly in drawing mode when i got home after work!! Nothing special, silly really...doodling away..

right soo, i'm off to watch X2 and put some food on my roaring belly!

11 November 2006
That's great! Believe it or not, I'm interested in headhunters and specially in the Jivaro Indians and their head-shrinking method since I was a child. Weird, eh? I'll try to join, is difficult for me since I'm a begginer, but I can't resist.
I'll see if I can do something.

Bless

11 November 2006
sweet......I got some great ideas.

11 November 2006
Argh, I'm booked solid this month. I'll try and find a bit of time for this, though; it looks like a fun workshop.

11 November 2006
So anyone can join? And it's free? am i right or did i miss something?

11 November 2006
Here's what I came up with, planning on doing a fat soviet guy that decapitates people with his scycle. Im thinking about giving him a cigar or something. C&C or more ideas are welcome

Thread Closed share thread