Old 09-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #31
Frejasphere
artist on joyride

portfolio
Annette Abolins
Driven to paint & draw
Abolina Art
Kariong, Australia

Hi all great to have another workshop up and running and to see the enthusiasm and speed that work is appearing! Nice Caravaggio Mal-1, I like your self-critique NR43 great start to the challenge everyone

not overly happy with this one, bit of overexcitement in wanting to get started

Michelangelo - crouching boy #010

pencil and charcoal on A4 sketch paper:

cheers all
a.

Last edited by Frejasphere : 10-08-2006 at 11:35 AM.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:15 AM   #32
jojo1975
Expert

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Giorgio Luciano
Modeller ;)
giorgioluciano.it
Genova, Italy

Hope to be in Love Old school tutorials

Old 09-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #33
YMS
Frequenter

Yvonne
Dunedin, New Zealand

Hey, everyone

First torso:

102:
CARAVAGGIO
Christ at the Column
c. 1607

Old 09-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #34
ytresu
Frequenter

portfolio
Alessandro Andreuccetti
San Gimignano, Italy

Torso #2

018:
MICHELANGELO Buonarroti
Ignudo
Fresco
Cappella Sistina, Vatican

Old 09-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #35
ytresu
Frequenter

portfolio
Alessandro Andreuccetti
San Gimignano, Italy

Torso #3

048:
RUBENS, Pieter Pauwel
Jupiter and Callisto
Oil on canvas, 202 x 305 cm
Staatliche Museen, Kassel

Old 09-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #36
Rod Seffen
professional cynic

portfolio
Rod Seffen
Character Modeler
Pixelwerks
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

No one's concerned at all of the chosen peices being entirely Italian renaissance-centric? (almost half are Michelangelo alone)
What about all the great neoclassical sculptures and paintings?
80% of the pieces on display seem to be classical male torsos made within 40 years of each other by a few artists with similar styles.
I'm not having a go at Rebecca, but is seems a little bit of a narrow window to be looking at.

Last edited by oDDity : 09-15-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:49 PM   #37
TheBloodyAlien
Custom User Title

portfolio
Agostino Priarolo
graphic designer
gov
Venice, Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDity
No one's concerned at all of the chosen peices being entirely Italian renaissance-centric? (almost half are Michelangelo alone)
80% of the pieces on display seem to be classical male torsos made within 40 years of each other by a few artists with similar styles.
I'm not having a go at Rebecca, but is seems a little bit of a narrow window to be looking at.

LOL narrow window

Old 09-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #38
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Great to see the number of pieces so far! It's funny, the focus here is on the TORSO, but everyone seems to be drawing / creating full figures - which is fine with me, that's up to the individual artist.

NR43,

If I may, I might suggest taking a sheet of tracing paper and overlaying it on top of the leg area, then redrawing both legs, which seem small / short relative to the rest of the figure. While 50 is a good goal, I think that it's more important to correct mistakes as this is purely a learning exercise, and we're not out to make finished pieces, necessarily. I look forward to seeing much more of your work and your progress!

HugeHarhar,

Nice to see your work here. I will just repeat here what I mentioned on your Personal Sketchbook Thread:

One thing I would say is to slow down a bit in your execution - and create your marks always in the direction of the topology of the form - and sort of finish your thoughts with respect to each stroke. If you really take time to look at a Michelangelo drawing and to analyze it, you will see how every mark that is made is supported and completed by another mark - for more on this, see the ARTICLE - Nudity link in my signature - it's about a drawing principle called Opposing Curves which is seen throughout all figurative art, but most strongly in the work of Michelangelo, who was a profound master of this principle. You see it carried out to the utmost in all of his works, drawing, paintings, and sculptures.

I look forward to following your thread and seeing your progress!

ytresu,

Lovely work, though work posted here should be work done for this Workshop exclusively. You know I like your linework a lot and I think you have a lot to teach here!

Cavematty,

Nice to see your first piece, and thank you for your enthusiasm! I would encourage you to focus on a single torso so as to get greater detail and depth of form. You may wish to lightly sketch the entire form, then really render the torso to a greater degree. It's a good opportunity to really explore a single aspect of the body in depth, but I won't prevent anyone from going further and recreating the entire figure.

Mal-1,

Lovely to see this work, but please only post work that is done specifically for this Workshop.

paolodelarosa,

Welcome, and it is a pleasure to see your work. I like that you have sketched in the face, but really rendered only the torso here. I think that is a good approach! The omni directional method of shading you have is working quite well. Nice start here!

Frejasphere,

A pleasure to see you here! Nice emotional quality to this piece - I would recommend to you also perhaps focusing on the torso while sketching in the rest of the features - up to you entirely, but I think it will allow you more disciplined study of just one feature of the body.

YMS,

Great to see you back here, and a really strong start! The figure seems to be leaning too much, perhaps a bit of tweaking could really enhance the tension in the pose.

Quote:
Originally posted by oDDity: No one's concerned at all of the chosen peices being entirely Italian renaissance-centric? (almost half are Michelangelo alone)

Hey there oDDity, I don't know if 'concern' is the right word - you are more than welcome to recommend artists to be included, or to find work which you would like to see included and post the relevant information here - unfortunately, the Web Gallery of Art does not assign unique URLs to images, so you will have to, like me, post the information about the individual artworks you find so that others can search for the images (so as not to impinge on copyright).

This is a Workshop that is for everyone's benefit, and I am always open to ideas and suggestions. So I hope that clears up your concerns.

Bear in mind that there are only so many body parts to be gone through, so in all likelihood, this Workshop will be repeated in the future, with a different set of artists and styles. But if you would like to see more of a mix, then I am happy to add more to the selection (with your suggestions, which you are welcome to post here).

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE:

Please only post work here that has been specifically done for this Workshop - no older work, please. Thanks!

Also, generally, I recommend that people focus on the TORSO, and that those working in 2D lightly sketch in the rest of the figure. (But if people wish to render the whole figure, then I certainly won't stop anyone!)

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09-15-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #39
JvdZ
Jan van der Zee
Student
Communication and Multimedia Design
Franeker, Netherlands

Hey all!

Great workshop. I'll try and do 50 in a variety of media: pencils, photoshop etc. Great way to practice!
Here's my first post and image, it's 008 michelangelo; detail of christ carrying a cross.

Crit's and all are welcome. Wait...that's the whole point.
Good luck practicing everyone!

On to neptune..

Old 09-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #40
ytresu
Frequenter

portfolio
Alessandro Andreuccetti
San Gimignano, Italy

Torso #4

027:
MICHELANGELO Buonarroti
Night
1526-33
Marble, length: 194 cm
Sagrestia Nuova, San Lorenzo, Florence

Hi RebeccaK, thanks for your nice words... I'm trying to your lessons and your drawing style to improve my skill.
Sorry for the first post... from now I will send only original work.
Thanks

Old 09-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #41
agou
Wookie

portfolio
Sophie Navas
polygon lover
France

Send a message via MSN to agou
This new anatomy thread is a good idea. I'll do some as soon as possible before next week - I'll be too busy then.
Good start everyone!!!

BLOG : Agou's blog

Old 09-15-2006, 04:07 PM   #42
Frejasphere
artist on joyride

portfolio
Annette Abolins
Driven to paint & draw
Abolina Art
Kariong, Australia

Thanks for comments Rebecca I agree that it's a good idea to focus on the torso, got a bit carried away with the 2 first ones ... so from now on I will... added to that, drawing at 2am after long day... well, say no more! Keep looking at the original of this one, thinking he must have used a young man... and added breasts, like I said, it's late

Great work everyone, and this is FUN!

cheers all
a.

Last edited by Frejasphere : 10-08-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:11 PM   #43
DiM
Know-it-All

portfolio
Dmitriy Michniuk
SPb, Russia

Hi all.

Good idea, but i have only 1 hour per day and not every day.
1-st speed paint. about 20-25 min.

DiM's Sketchbook
azamandius.livejournal.com

Old 09-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #44
paolodelarosa
paolo dela rosa
Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to paolodelarosa
Jvdz - Great work.... love the shadow of the arm on the torso...

ytresu - Very nice lines. nice shadows as well, that must have takes hours...

Here's my second attempt... changed the shadows a bit from the original.. don't know why... crits are welcome...

thanks

Rafael
Nude Study

Old 09-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #45
CgIcecube
Know-it-All

portfolio
Richa Kaul
New Delhi/ Bangalore, India

Smile

Count Me in

50 torso...in a month...great lesson...ll try to use both 2D/3D