Open Figure Drawing Workshop 019 - The Awakening of the Underground Giant

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2006
quick sketches not sure I will end up using any parts of them

08 August 2006
@architectus: Wow! The graveyard picture really looks good! I'm amazed at how you can work so quick!@Thomasphoenix: I really like your red-violet colour theme!

08 August 2006
OK I'm in. Now if I can only come up with a good concept. The ideas so far have been great!

08 August 2006
Great thread guys. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with

Thomasphoenix>
nice dynamic composition

some sketchy ideas for my protagonist

08 August 2006
EAD - I like the top right and bottom left

08 August 2006

Ok so here is my other character who will be fighting the giant. I also cleaned up my last image a bit. Im not really sure if I'll keep the entire body for this one as I planned on having him closer to the viewer. I may end up cutting him below the waste, possibly the hamstring. Im working on my layout now. - J

08 August 2006
mecha the anatomy looks great on that guy.

Here is another quick sketch I am done for the day, I like this concept though. Mentour rock back busting through city streets knocking buildings over. He was sick and tired of sleeping, and lots of ground had built up over him during the ages. But his angry gave him enough strength to bust out of his sleeping grave.

08 August 2006

architectus: thanks bud, although I think his torso is little too long...

Ok... so this is kinda what i have in mind but not exactly. Im leaning toward the left panel but I think I need a harder camera angle.

Right now Im using this Caravaggio image as inspiration. I like the tenebrism style he uses and I think it would make for a pretty dramatic image. Plus Im just fond of darker backgrounds cause theres less for me paint

Taking a break for tonight. Some more work on the layout in the next few days - J

08 August 2006
Talking

Update!Suggestions are welcome! Am facing an artists block!

08 August 2006
Here is a concept for my background. My plan is to have the giant inside of the volcano giving us one of those early morning stretches. I don't think that the background is done at the momemt. But I'm kind of stumped on how I should continue.

08 August 2006
Allrighty... here' goes.

How about a giant Lion (been meaning to do a lion for quite some time now... and never got to finish the one I started for a challenge last year) and some sort of tree-nymphy thing. I'm trying to play with the idea that either of the figures could be considered the "giant"...

» B O T C H E D (gustaf fjelstrom)
The Botched Blog (um.... my blog)

08 August 2006
Here's a couple of quick concepts:

Basic idea is for a giant trying to get some rest, who is rudely interrupted by some curious people--maybe explorers? tribal ritual? Still hammering that stuff out.

08 August 2006
Ok, folks, I am a lazy bum, so I won't comment on everyone's pieces...

Originally Posted by architectus: Okay I am done with this one for now, not sure I will update it anymore

architectus..., the rules do't explicitly say so, but the anatomy forums are a lawless area... ... many thought they were done with a piece til the forum leader informed them otherwise...

I like your piece, quite dynamic...

EAD - fantastic concept sketches. I love the rough style, yet there are many suggested details. I like the top two!

Mecha - as architectus rightly said you have a great emphasis on the anatomy in your concept which I really love. The poses interact very well and the proportiosn seem believable and convincing. As concerns the camera, I liked the right shot, because the cut off leg of the foreground figure made me feel uneasy, but that's just me.

Thomasphoenix - I think this is the first time I see you painting instead of drawing and I must say it's very exciting as I love your drawing style a lot. As concerns your piece I like the pose and anatomy of your giant, as well as the action you are trying to get across. I would say, however, that the composition looks a bit crammed(?). Kind of like a crop from a bigger image. Maybe give yourself more room and spread the action a bit?

botched - time to tell you that I stare at your avatar for at least 5-10 seconds each time I stumble over your posts. I still remember that piece. The lion face looks totally enchanting. Huge, wise and powerful. Much potential for a really poetic piece, there.

08 August 2006
Thumbs up The Underground Giant

"The Underground Giant" The Most wanted: He is an extremely violent and crazy homo erectuss, it likes much the violence, the expensive arms of fire and expensive clocks. He is very violent and wild. We looked for alive or drugged to him. Taken care of with its shadow.

This one is my concept for the "The Underground Giant". Pedro Laso.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bocetoplt3102.JPG (34.5 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by nazarone : 08 August 2006 at 02:39 PM.

08 August 2006
Okey heres my prelim sketch.. its not finished as you can see hes missing the lower part of his arm and his hand.. I stupidly forgot my pen at home and the tablet is pretty useless without it lol..

anyway.. small story behind it.. centuries ago the earth was dominated by a small group of giants who tended the land and watched over the beasts that roamed it..one nights sleep to a giant is millenia to a mortal human so as the great watchers slumbered the human race grew and civilisations evolved. this is why the mayans dissapeared the great watcher woke up and tore thier civilistaion to shreds .. now he slumbers again.. when will he next awaken?!

anyway ill finish off the arm and hand tonight at home and sort out his body. !!

-=Life is Creation..
Creation is Art..
Art is Life..=-

My spectacular 3D
Apex3D my Site

Thread Closed share thread