Open Figure Drawing Workshop 019 - The Awakening of the Underground Giant

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2006   #46
my giant in graveyard

Here is my beginning sketch. I had a pretty good idea what I wanted before I started, so this will probably be what I go with.

After 1000s of years the giant awakes, to find that built above him was a grave-yard, how ironic the giant thought.

The goth chick went to the graveyard on the wrong night.

I think I am going to drop the moon down lower, and crop the image, go for more of a wide screen view.

Last edited by architectus : 08 August 2006 at 03:37 PM.

Old 08 August 2006   #47
Kencho maybe make his shoulders and pecks larger, or reduce the ribs and torso. To get more of a V shape.

Old 08 August 2006   #48
Moving along, cropped like I said and lowered the moon. Laying down a color scheme, so far I like it. Any ideas?

Old 08 August 2006   #49
architectus,

One thing I would suggest is expanding your canvas size so that the action is not squarely centered in the middle. Make some small sketches that are just b/w to just play with compositional ideas. You don't have to lock down on a particular one soon, just experiment and you will likely spark more concepts which you can then integrate with this one.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2006   #50
architectus: Your piece is turning out really dramatic! She really did pick the wrong night didn't she... I'd make the colour scheme a little darker, if it was up to me, to give it a more nightlike feel.

____

Update on mine:

The lightbulb is representing something else, though at the moment, I haven't decided what it's going to look like. In any case, this picture shows more of where I'm aiming than the ones I posted earlier. Yay, (some kind of) progress! I still didn't get around to her clothing, though, because I want to make sure I get the figure right first. And she will have a hairdo, too. Later. xD

Old 08 August 2006   #51
Whoa there already is a lot of amazing WIP. I'm new to all this but I hope to be joining soon. I can't think of anything right now and I'm off to class. Maybe tomarrow I can contribute some work. Keep up the good work everyone.

Old 08 August 2006   #52
One from MEEE!

Lots of Interesting Interpetations! Here is mine!

Old 08 August 2006   #53
moving along

I work pretty fast, It is just the way I must paint, or I will never finish.

Working on modeling the giant some. I think the colors are pretty much set now.

Old 08 August 2006   #54
I work pretty fast, It is just the way I must paint, or I will never finish.

Working on modeling the giant some. I think the colors are pretty much set now.

rebeccak, yeah that is why I moved the moon down, but there is not much negative space is there. Maybe I should have added more space to the left, oh well, I will end up doing another one I am sure.

[/QUOTE]

Old 08 August 2006   #55
decided to try something on my 2nd concept...
will have redo it tomorrow as there are loads of things I don't like (cave too small, giant pose, faery, village,...)

I'm open for suggestions on composition and color...

architectus comin along nicely
Thomasphoenix wow very dynamic! maybe make him even more threatening with a more extreme facial expression...
Vilhelmina curious what you'll do with the lighting

well I'm calling it quits for today...

Old 08 August 2006   #56
Quick question...

Is it acceptable to use, as reference, a stock photo THAT I HAVE PURCHASED?

Just wondering.

» B O T C H E D (gustaf fjelstrom)
The Botched Blog (um.... my blog)

Old 08 August 2006   #57
thomasphenix I like what you got going on there, nice colors. He looks like he woke up a tad angry. Maybe he was uncomfurtable, or was confurtable and did not want to wake up.

Old 08 August 2006   #58
Quote: Originally posted by botched: Quick question...

Is it acceptable to use, as reference, a stock photo THAT I HAVE PURCHASED?

Just wondering.

botched, you are most welcome to use any Reference which you yourself own, or which you have permission to use.

However, as I'm sure you know, reference from sites other than free / copyright free sites such as www.characterdesigns.com may NOT be used without the permission of the copyright holder.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2006   #59
Okay I am done with this one for now, not sure I will update it anymore, I will work on some sketches for new ideas maybe.

I worked on this piece with my monitor at 60 brightness and 60 contrast, so you might need to turn monitor down to see it how I do.

oops I went to edit one of my other post and I accidently quoted it, sorry about that

Last edited by architectus : 08 August 2006 at 09:22 PM.

Old 08 August 2006   #60
Great workshop idea RebeccaK! If I find some spare time myself and an good idea, then I'll join this one as well. 3D then of course ! :-)

Erik

Thread Closed share thread