Anatomy Lesson Series: Body Part 1 - The Head

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2006
thanks for the rar file

06 June 2006
Smile

Okay, folks, may as well kick things off:

Today's head, I may update it later (just substitute this one out) but here is my version of Reference 049:

For anyone interested, here is a gif of the process (some of the steps are pretty funny):

Just to reiterate, it's okay to post just 1 head at a time, so long as it is finished (to the degree that you can in the given time). I'll post WIP type stuff to my Anatomy Thread, and final stuff here.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 06 June 2006 at 09:13 PM.

06 June 2006
Hey Rebecca!

I think this is an amazing idea and I will definitely take part. I'm already 70% done with a head from the list and I'll post the finished one here. The WIP you can see in my anatomy thread in few minutes if you'd wish to give crits

Great idea! Although I'm not sure if I'm able to complete 50 heads.
-Juhani

06 June 2006
Sounds fun! Can't wait to get started!

06 June 2006
Out of curiousity, Rebeccak:
Do we have to replicate the pix or can we represent them?

replicate=design your piece closely as possible to the original or
represent=design your piece using the original and making it "your own". ie: turning a Da Vinci into a Picasso (if you happen to be Picasso).

06 June 2006
The point is to get your model as close as posibble to the original ...

06 June 2006
My First Head

Here is my first head. It is copied from head #19 or #100. I spent about 2 or 3 hours on it. I'm posting now, instead of waiting until I finish four others, because I would like to get some feedback before moving on. I think that there is something missing from the likeness of the original. I'm happy with the shading, even though I could spend many more hours with it, but the likeness just doesn't look right to me. Maybe someone with a sharper eye can tell me what I did to make it look a little off.

Thanks

--Joey

Also, if this image is not visible then please tell me.

Last edited by JoseHerb : 06 June 2006 at 10:37 PM.

06 June 2006
Smile

JoseHerb,

I can see your image fine.

Looks good so far, and the shading is nicely consistent. There are two things I would recommend ~ one is to allow more room in the cap for the back of the man's skull, and the second is to watch the angle of the alignment of the ear with respect to the base of the nose and the brow:

When drawing heads that are covered by hair or hats etc. (as most heads are) it's important to draw the shape of the skull first to get an idea of where the hair / hat etc. would fall, since hair or a hat will be slightly raised from the surface of the head slightly, or in some cases, dramatically. Hope this helps!

Quote: Originally posted by Manifestant: Out of curiousity, Rebeccak:
Do we have to replicate the pix or can we represent them?

replicate=design your piece closely as possible to the original or
represent=design your piece using the original and making it "your own". ie: turning a Da Vinci into a Picasso (if you happen to be Picasso).

Manifestant, you are of course welcome to interpret, but the goal is realistic likeness. That being said, I doubt that anyone's realistic copy of the same original will look the same.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

06 June 2006
hey becca, great work so far

great to see all these enthusiastic people too

i did some ratehr quick sketches on the first 5. the last two are rather 5 minute sketches. the second one gave me the creeps and hes looking like vlad the cruel

06 June 2006
nice idea, I like it

06 June 2006
Well I was planning to work on heads/faces on my own next week, so might as well do it here. Count me in.

Mark

06 June 2006
003 - my 1st head

I just finished my first head... that lady was a ***** to draw, it took me quiet long...
IMO The most difficult thing about the image is to reproduce that subtle smile she has.
Maybe you guys and gals have better luck with it... I sorta gave it up... gotta move on to the next one

btw. Rebecca, that animated gif thingie is a good idea, thanks for sharing. I'll try to also make one of those if it's welcomed...

Last edited by coCoKNIght : 06 June 2006 at 11:09 PM.

06 June 2006
cool, i needed some direction in my sketching today. each one is about 2"x2" and took less than 15 minutes.

06 June 2006
what

What!!! no Sargent portrait? How dare you.

06 June 2006
Hi!

Elvis, it's only one, but I am not sure I should continue with that, what people post here is overhelming .

Sorry for no shading, I don't really know how to do that technically. I'll try tomorrow. I've never drawn anything like that before, this is very interesting experience. Working on 4 more

Thread Closed share thread