Open Figure Drawing Workshop - Hals, Waterhouse, Velazquez, and Leighton - 018

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2006   #61
Here is mine to ...started this large composition ......uf

Old 06 June 2006   #62
special applause to mazalo for takin the bait and diving head first into the massive Hals piece...!

Old 06 June 2006   #63
Hi @all
Interesting Theme, Im in too.
My first Wip: (this folds will kill me!)

Old 06 June 2006   #64
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Feel free! Thanks to Martin / erilaz for this great ref: :)

http://www.artrenewal.org/images/ar..._Innocent_X.jpg

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Wonderful! I'll get started as soon as possible. :)

Old 06 June 2006   #65
Dang, do any of y'all have jobs? How do you find time to do this much so fast? I barely got my other OFDW done in time.

Zhu - I am suprised that photobucket hasn't axed you yet. Get ready, they are on a spree.

Mu - I see you are supporting the motherland. Gut Deutchland, ja!

Jun - I am really liking your start. I wanted to do that one but there were too many people to draw. I have no time for that. Therefore I think I will paint June. We will see!

Later y'all!

My new anatomy thread

My Graphic Novel thread! & Blog

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Art is never finished, It's abandoned!

Old 06 June 2006   #66
Mazalo: Great start!! good luck, can't wait to see how you develop it.

Anien: first wip huh, this should be a nice learning experience then, A good sketch to start with too, you might want to completely desaturate if your going to work in greyscale though

aggie93
: Flaming June is good pick, the dress will be alot of fun to paint, i have all these Nimphs to draw because i like playing around too much

Come a little closer to the water my dear...

Last edited by Junpei : 06 June 2006 at 03:22 PM.

Old 06 June 2006   #67
my turn

wow just looked at the finished paintings from the last challenge, nice stuff! totally inspired me to get going.

thought i would start with this guy and maybe do the rest if i get time

what ya think so far?

Old 06 June 2006   #68
Thanks Junpei
your sketch looks good also. I 'm not planning to work in the greyscale, the mirror is to complicatet.
Is ist necessary to work with the same colors and strukture? Or could I work in a higher resulution?

Old 06 June 2006   #69
mazalo, terrific start! This is very nicely handled. Looking forward to seeing how it comes along.

Junpei: Nice job with the tones and composition so far. :)

rubber-chicken: Figure looks good, I like how you suggest the folds with simple, confident brushstrokes at this early stage.

Right.. and I started a pencil sketch (drawing? we'll see) of Pope Innocent X on an A4 sheet. Some 50-60 minutes so far, attention went mostly to the head because I love his expression. He looks so cunning and cross and -- oh I could say so many things about what he looks like! It's really my favourite Velázquez piece.

Perhaps it will be handy to be able to take a look at the reference since it's not in the original OFDW 18 options.

Old 06 June 2006   #70
Smile

YMS,

Great to see you back in this!

Clippy,

Looking forward to seeing your piece!

SaraD,

No problem about continuing to work on OFDW 017! As you know, all the OFDWs are open really indefinitely, so you are free to post til you're finished! I am happy to add your final OFDW piece to the SPOTLIGHT thread as you finish, but I didn't think you would want WIP there when you already had a lovely, finished piece in that thread.

Darkvision,

Great start here! 'Just refining' as you know can take a lot of time, and I would prefer to see you go for quality over quantity here. Since there are 4 weeks to the Workshop, take your time, the first week of the new OFDW is always frenetic, but don't think that this means you have to finish your piece quickly. Looking forward to your updates!

mazalo,

Congrats to be the first to tackle the full first selection! Can't wait to see your progress on this, it will be awesome if you can finish!

Mu,

No soccer for you! Only OFDW!

Anien,

Welcome aboard! Nice to see your sketch, we look forward to more!

Junpei,

Good start here, hopefully you have seen the higher res version of the reference, which has been added to the first post of this thread!

rubber-chicken,

Great to hear that you were inspired to join! That is exactly the point of the SPOTLIGHT images, to show off what great stuff is being produced here and to encourage more people to join in! Great start so far, I think that you will find as you keep posting WIPs and seeing others' WIPs, you will start to see the things that you need to improve / change / correct. Looking forward to your updates!

Anien,

I recommend working in hi res (300 dpi) and appropriate scale in inches.

eilidh,

No problem! I love this piece as well, and you've got a great start here! The name 'Innocent' really belies this guy's expression, I've always loved this work as well! Looking forward to your progress on this.

Back in a bit to reply to the previous posts.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06 June 2006   #71
Originally Posted by Rebecca: Mu,

No soccer for you! Only OFDW!

it's football, honey...

ask Carina... she'll deliver a speech on it...

Old 06 June 2006   #72
Smile

Enrique,

Amazing work, as we always expect from you!

QS,

Nice start on this, I'll be curious to see how far you take the digital before going digital!

David / Corvax,

Nice block in so far! You might try enlarging the arm / lower body just a bit.

zhuzhu,

PureGhostGR,

Looking forward to seeing your start here!

Fl3wk,

Nice to see your start here! Looking forward to your updates. Traditional media is more than welcome here.

krispee,

Great to see you back!

sturmkim,

Good start here!

hagarun,

It's great to see you! Long time no see!

Mal-1,

I think the dwarf picture by Velazquez is one of my favorites! Great choice!

Mark / FateBringer,

There are 4 weeks, you will hopefully have time to join in!

Keep up the great stuff everybody!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06 June 2006   #73
WOW! THERE IS A CLASSICAL PORTRAIT OF A DWARF! That is so cool. How would I go about copying one of these masterpieces? With paints I would layout the image on the canvas with pencil first. Than block out the colors. However I don't think that approach would work. Hmm I dunno if I could just sketch it out and than scan it. Than paint it in zbrush. The dwarf seems simple.

Old 06 June 2006   #74
*sigh* .. there is a bunch of drawing flaws in my painting right now.. but I'm slowly hammering them into shape.

Old 06 June 2006   #75
Jumping in on this one. Below is a screenie and the inital lines laid out. Feeling a teenie weenie bit daunted but I will press on!

Everyone else, fantastic work so far!

"Children see magic because they look for it." --Christopher Moore--

Thread Closed share thread