3D Workshop: Digital Anatomy Sculpture 1! The human hand - With Simon Roth

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2006
Hi Simon

This is what I came up with today. In between power failures that ruined three pieces that I was working on...
Used the cylinder shape - kind of stretched the hand out from it -
trying to do a fist this time.
Thanks for the instructions. Will be trying them out shortly.
Take Care
Glenn

04 April 2006
Good stuff Glen. They are losing focus a bit on the top.

I'd reccomend if your going to work from primatives to work from a cube or sphere, because the cylinder's topology makes it difficult to work on the top. (eg the cap on will always become triangles radiating out from a single vertex) If you do another try with them, and see if it works better.

I look forward to your next updates!

-Si

04 April 2006
Wow, I want to do this, I have never tried 3d before, but it looks fun, how can I get started?

04 April 2006
Hey jack!

Just download the demo on the first part. And follow the video tut I made for getting the base mesh model into the program.

Goodluck!

04 April 2006
Hi Simon
Tried the cube and sphere couldn't get a hand will try again
Worked from the cylinder again this morning. Feels more like the rounded wedge shape of the upper portion of the hand to me. My goal with Zbrush is to try to adapt what I am learning with it to what I already know in Painter 9. Want to end up with a Zbrush/Painter 9 combination painting technique. I don't have any 3D or animation goal - yet. That's a little out of my league at the moment.
Really appreciate all the help you have been giving me. Proving very useful.
Take care
Glenn

04 April 2006
Hey Glen

Hows it going?

as for what shape you are going to carve out of, If it works for you then no problem. That study is looking pretty good.

As 2d tool, to use alongside painter z-brush definately wont dissapoint.

Quote: I don't have any 3D or animation goal - yet. That's a little out of my league at the moment.

Well your hand studies are getting good, I would say give it a bit of practice and you'll well be able to make some nice 3d stuff!

-Simon

05 May 2006
very cool thread, should have found it earlier.
dont have anything to post yet but i have a base mesh of a hand and the rig to pose it.
ill get them ready for download soon so everyone (using maya) can pose it and export it to zbrush for sculpting.

Last edited by fx81 : 05 May 2006 at 05:15 AM.

05 May 2006
For a bit of fun.

05 May 2006
Oh well...still needs a lot of work but i'm quite happy being the first time i'm using zbrush

side effect - thread bumped

05 May 2006
First time using z-brush?

Thats great!

The third finger looks a little thin on the image from above the hand.

Keep going!

-Si

05 May 2006
Hi guys, I have just bumped into this thread Well, here is a hand model i did some time ago. It was done in Maya, nurbs patch model...I am aware that there are areas which need a lot of improvement, but besides concentrating on the overal shape, I payed a lot attention to the patch modeling technique which I`d like to master...

Oh, I have now realised that this a a z-brush thread...sorry guys for posting in the unappropriate thread

Last edited by ricma : 05 May 2006 at 08:33 PM.

05 May 2006
Smile

ricma,

No worries. I don't think Simo will mind your using the software package of your choice.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

05 May 2006
Originally Posted by ricma: Hi guys, I have just bumped into this thread Well, here is a hand model i did some time ago. It was done in Maya, nurbs patch model...I am aware that there are areas which need a lot of improvement, but besides concentrating on the overal shape, I payed a lot attention to the patch modeling technique which I`d like to master...

Oh, I have now realised that this a a z-brush thread...sorry guys for posting in the unappropriate thread

Hey!

No problem about the software, this thread is more about nailing good anatomy.

Its a great model, the proportions seem great! Maybe the wrist could do with a little more detail.

Thanks for posting that. How long did it take?

Sorry about my slow replies guys, I've been trying to get a dissertation ready in the last few days. I'll extend the deadline also, as one and a half weeks went in a flash!

-Simon

05 May 2006
Hi Simon,
thanks I can`t say for sure how much time I spent on this model, but lets say it was a day. Now I belive I`d do it in a few hours. Basicaly I started from a cylinder for a finger, tweaked it to get a decent shape (added isoparms where needed as well) and then coppied it for all other fingers and adjusted accordingly. The rest of the hand is also a cylinder roughly modeled in desired shape and then cut into patches.
I also scanned my own hand (palm side) and used it as a reference image plane.
The part I don`t like are the knuckles, hand looks flat from the side view.
That is a model I did a long time ago, came to this point and never got back to it to refine it...

Oh, and good luck with your dissertation.

Take care.

05 May 2006
HI Simon

Another hand study. Concentrating on the thumb joint mostly.
Hey
I have a question:
When I am in the 3d mode, I can't figure out how to use the other brushes without losing the 3d capability of spinning it around....
If you have time could you do a little step by step on how to use the other brushes and keep the 3d going at the same time?
Probably something simple...I just can't figure it out.
Thanks.
Take care
Glenn

Thread Closed share thread