Open Figure Drawing Workshop - Rembrandt Master Copy - with Rebeccak 016

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2006
Open Figure Drawing Workshop - Rembrandt Master Copy - with Rebeccak 016

Welcome to the SIXTEENTH thread of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop!!!

This workshop is open to any medium and any style. Some informal moderation
will be gladly provided by Rebecca Kimmel ~ however, the purpose of the
Workshop is for Artists to interact with and informally critique one another’s work.

Due to the popularity and outstanding success of the previous Master Copy Workshops, we will be continuing this week with another Master Copy Workshop! This week we will be working from a choice of 4 new Master Paintings by Rembrandt:

Note: This Workshop will last 4 weeks.

Choice 1: (See below for links)

Rembrandt (1606-1669)
Self Portrait as the Apostle St Paul
Oil on canvas, 1661
35 3/4 x 30 1/4 inches (91 x 77 cm)
Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Choice 2: (See below for links)

Rembrandt (1606-1669)
Titus van Rijn in a Monk's Habit
Oil on canvas, 1660
31 1/4 x 26 1/2 inches (79.5 x 67.5 cm)
Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Choice 3: (See below for links)

Rembrandt (1606-1669)
Portrait of Johannes Wtenbogaert (1557-1644), Remonstrant Minister
Oil on canvas, 1633
51 1/8 x 40 1/2 inches (130 x 103 cm)
Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Choice 4: (See below for links)

Rembrandt (1606-1669)
Jeremiah Lamenting the Destruction of Jerusalem
Oil on panel, 1630
22 3/4 x 18 inches (58 x 46 cm)
Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

>>RULES FOR THE THREADS<<

1. Photographs are the property of artrenewal.org and are copyrighted as such.

2. The drawings created from the photo reference provided here MUST be TASTEFUL, SINCERE, RESPECTFUL, and for the purpose of serious study of the human figure. Those who post silly, disrespectful, or tasteless work will have their posts deleted immediately
and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Rebecca Kimmel reserves the right to determine which drawings are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful to the Reference used here in the OFDWs.3. There is NO TIME LIMIT for posting on this thread.

3. Typically, new threads containing new photographs will be posted on a bi-weekly basis ~ however, for this Workshop, 4 weeks will be allowed before the next OFDW.

4. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only your BEST WORK, even if it is considered unfinished.

5. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

6. I will be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads should be on Group Critique and interaction.

7. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Gestural, Sketch, Finished Render, etc.

8. EDIT: 3D Artists who wish to use the reference for 3D models are free to do so. I just ask that you post your work here as well as in any 3D forum in which you post your work.

9. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 800 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please!

10. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art!

LINKS to Images:

>>REFERENCE IMAGE #1, Self Portrait as the Apostle St Paul<<

>>Alternate REFERENCE IMAGE source (same painting as above): Master Painting by Rembrandt<<

~~~

>> REFERENCE IMAGE #2, Titus van Rijn in a Monk's Habit<<

Alternate REFERENCE IMAGE source (same painting as above): Master Painting by Rembrandt

~~~

>>REFERENCE IMAGE #3, Portrait of Johannes Wtenbogaert (1557-1644), Remonstrant Minister<<

>>Alternate REFERENCE IMAGE source (same painting as above): Master Painting by Rembrandt<<

~~~

>>REFERENCE IMAGE #4, Jeremiah Lamenting the Destruction of Jerusalem<<

Alternate REFERENCE IMAGE source (same painting as above): Master Painting by Rembrandt

~~~

PLEASE NOTE: WIP (Work In Progress) images are an important part of the OFDWs and are encouraged. Please DO post WIP images as you work on your pieces.

PLEASE NOTE THAT ANY USE OF PAINTINGS WHICH ARE RELIGIOUS IN NATURE IS IN NO WAY AN ENDORSEMENT OF RELIGION OF ANY KIND.

Good luck!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 04 April 2006 at 02:52 AM.

04 April 2006
WIP - Rembrandt Copy

(To view o slideshow of progress to date, click here!)

Hello,

I'm starting this thread to do a fairly detailed Work In Progress step-by-step of the work I'll be doing on the new Rembrandt challenge. I didn't want to clutter up the main thread with lots of intermediate steps, so I'll post those here, but I'll still update in the main thread when I hit good milestones.

So, here's what's up:

I'll be working in Corel Painter. I started by opening a copy of the original reference, and creating a blank canvas of the same size:

Next, I filled in the canvas layer with a neutral tone, then created a new layer and named it "Charcoal Sketch". Using the Soft Charcoal brush set to a darker value of the background tone, and eyeballing the original off to the side, I roughly sketched in major masses:

Next, I created a third layer and called it "Color Roughs", and on this layer, using a bristly oil brush, I blocked in general colors. I eyeballed these colors, using the mixing palette in Painter to blend them more like actual paint. I didn't want to just eyedrop sample the original picture, because that felt too much like cheating!:

You can see I got all the colors a bit too bright, so next I used the adjust brightness/contrast control to lower the brightness until it looked closer to the original:

And that's where I stand tonight. I'll post again after the next time i work on it.

Yoiur comments, if you feel so inclined, are most welcome!

Thanks! -Bill

Last edited by billcunningham : 04 April 2006 at 09:17 AM.

04 April 2006
I'm in this one!

Am I the first one to throw his hat into this challenge? Woo hoo!

I've been peeking in at the Bouguereau and Carravaggio challenges and feeling so JEALOUS as I didn't have time to participate, but I'm doing this one, dammit!

I started another thread to post lots of WIP screenshots (I didn't want to clutter up this thread with anything less than milestone pics), here's a link to my first night's work:

WIP - Rembrandt Copy

I'm not at a point I want to post a full milestone shot yet, but you can see where I'm at thru that link. Hopefully I'll be far enough along to post a real shot by Wednesday.

Good luck everyone (And THANKS! Rebecca for keeping these challenges coming!)

04 April 2006
I´m gonna try to participate in this one Too long since I hade the time to paint and hang out with you guys

04 April 2006
Hi all,

@saraD and billcunningham
Great to see you here, hope we enjoy this together. Not only as a challenge but to learn from each other.

I love this, but my... hehe (pssst, the word with p)... starting fast and failed much faster. So I decide to do parts of some originals, if this is allowed, because a whole piece is too much for me.

This sketch done in 1 hour, trying out some brushes, nearly 1:1 size

Ciao,
Ellie

04 April 2006
A little more work

Ok, I couldn't sleep, I've got a headache, so I did a little more work on this:

On a new layer, named "detailed drawing", using a color that stands out, and the soft charcoal brush, I start drawing over the color roughs a more detailed sketch. I'm not tracing the original, I'm eyeballing it on my copy with the original open to the left. You can see hash and guide marks around the drawing. I try to hash in a mark at the top and bottom, left and right of the face, then throw in cross lines to mark the nose, eye and mouth positions, then start drawing around those to get the shapes in general correct proportion:

Continuing to also fill in the neck ruff... this is difficult and a little tedious. If you're not tracing something like this, the best way I know to do it is try to keep in sight the shapes the negative space between the complex, mazy lines make, and keep looking back and forth to make sure things are staying genetally in proportion. That's what I've done here:

Now I thre in another layer, called "Neutral", and filled it with a flat neutral shade so I can move it between my color roughs and the detailed drawing to isolare the lines and see what they look like:

Now, keeping an eye jumping between the original and my rough copy, trying to make the line drawing closer to exact as far as position an proportion goes to the original, I draw in the rest of the picture (you can see my color roughs have the hands fairly badly misplaced... I'll try to correct that now with the drawing):

And here it is against the neutral layer:

And that's it for tonight... really!

Here's a link to a slide show of this Work-in-Progress!

As always, any comments are most welcome! -Bill

04 April 2006
Smile

billcunningham,

Hey there, great to see you in this! You know, the kind of work you are doing here (WIP) is exactly the kind of thing I like to see on the OFDW threads ~ you are more than welcome to post WIP there.

It's up to you, but I would actually prefer it if you posted your WIP there. I am happy to merge your thread into the OFDW thread, but I won't if that is not what you prefer.

Great start! I can't wait to see this develop!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

04 April 2006
Smile

billcunningham,

You're more than welcome to post WIP here! I don't actually think of the OFDWs as challenges, but it's fine to think of them that way ~ really it's more of a workshop where artists help and support one another. But there's an element of challenge, I suppose, to it as well.

SaraD,
We really miss you! Come back! Hoping you can find time for this one!

Elliepower,

Wow, fantastic start! It's no problem doing a portion, it's probably what I'll do myself for this one. The eyes are really very expressive...

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

04 April 2006
Yay!
This will be such good practice for my Portraiture final exam (which started today and will go on for 6 more days, bleh). I was feeling so terrible about missing the Bouguereau, there's no way I'd miss this one!
*gets started*

04 April 2006
Smile

hiiri,

Great to see another person on board! What great timing with your Portraiture exam! I really look forward to seeing your work here.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

04 April 2006
I said I would start right away and I did!
Here's the colour rough. Just trying to get the colours in place.

I feel like painting all 4! Maybe I will..hehehe.

04 April 2006
Smile

Hey, go for all 4! Why not? There are 4 weeks in the Workshop, so that would be one week each. If you have enough time, this might be doable ~ though I would go for quality and maybe recommend two weeks for two portraits.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

04 April 2006
Please do merge the thread

Hey Rebecca,

I don't mind at all having this thread merged with the OFDW. I only started it separately because I wasn't sure posting this many WIP screenshots was acceptable.

If there is some administrator magic you can do to merge the threads, please feel free to do it. Otherwise, I'll just copy all these posts over to the OFDW myself after work tonight, and post updates there from now on.

Thanks!

04 April 2006
Talking

hiiri: wow~! what a nice start~~~!!!

my quick start in Photoshop 7 with custom Bristle brush.

04 April 2006
Damn, I have to join this time

zhuzhu
: I hope you will continue this one

"you can't see until you learn how to open your eyes"

Thread Closed share thread