Open Figure Drawing Workshop - Caravaggio Master Copy / Reference - with Rebeccak 015

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #61
Talking

Nice sketch, AOAH! Any plans to work on this further?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2006   #62
Wow Andrew thats hot! Its got such a nice feeling to it, I do hope you keep going.

~Jack

Old 03 March 2006   #63
Right, decided since I did a Caravaggio on my own (still working on it, I'll be bringing it into PS since I have much better control over the brushes), I'll do the photorefs for this OFDW. I'll probably have some fun with them, too.

Not sure how long. Not much, I think, just spread out in little spurts (damn you IRC and your distracting ways ).

Andyonahill: Sweet! Love the colors you're pulling off.

Ellipower: Awesome, you're making some great progress.

Jack Shannon: Nice values!

Old 03 March 2006   #64
Thanks guys.. I may well do a few more character/ hand studies as I learnt a lot from doing this one but I cant see me having the time nor the patience to try and pull of a full copy though. Good luck to those of you who are attempting it, hope it doesn't drive you all mad.

With regards to the colour theory bit. I find it very useful to use the eyedropper to analyze the way the artist employs colour before beginning to paint, The Carravagio is a great example of a painter changing the hue between the highlights and the shadows from warm to cool, the shadows are invariably more towards the purple end of the spectrum and the highlights more orange. this tends to make the image more 3D and visually arresting. However I would tend to refrain from using the eyedropper whilst painting as it takes some of the judgement away from the artist and it's important to learn to see the different colours for yourself..... Something I am attempting to improve at the moment.

Cheers

Old 03 March 2006   #65
Talking

Teck,

Great to see your start! You've got 4 weeks. It will be good to see what you can do with this in that time!

Heya AOAH,

Good to hear your thoughts. With respect to the eyedropper, I hope you don't think I was encouraging folks to sample from the original painting! I recommend sampling from areas of one's own painting, not the reference. You're right, the artist should learn to judge for her or himself which colors to pick and why. It's part of being an artist, after all.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2006   #66
Slight update, working on the left figure next...

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2006   #67
Wink

RK> I didnt think you were suggesting that

I do however think that periodically using photoshop to sample the masters use of colour to tell you what colour is used where can be a valuable learning resource and can speed up the learning process and provide a doorway into the artists technique. Trying to emulate colour all by eye can be a total nightmare due to the complexity of optical illusion.

Did I just contradict myself there? probably.. Basically I think the eyedropper can be an invaluable analysis/research tool to provide insight into how colour operates in an image.

Old 03 March 2006   #68
Talking

AOAH,

Ha, I have a similar feeling about tracing. I think that tracing reproductions of Master Drawings / Paintings / Sculptures can be an excellent tool for learning and getting the feel of how and what the old masters were doing in their art. However, for me, such tracing is only ever an exercise, and should never be used in a finished piece of one's own art. There is tons of art that comes through the validation queue each day for the Gallery, and it's immediately obvious what work has been traced from Reference. But I actually would encourage people to do tracings to get a sense of what the Masters did as an Exercise only.

Cheers,

~Rk

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2006   #69
Close UP

Im just bringing up the details, my first victim is the guy at Jesus' right, hope u like it

Im using Smudge tool because im getting mad by blending with the paint brush, sorry but I tried, and I couldn't

Old 03 March 2006   #70
Talking

Digital Sol,

This is looking really good!

Here are the brush settings I typically use ~ I don't know whether or not it will help, but I pretty much stick with this:

One thing which I think will help is if you get some darker darks, and lighter lights into the appropriate parts of the painting. For example, the shaded eye socket will be a lot darker value wise than it is currently. More contrast = more form, but you don't want to overwhiten or overdarken. Keep working, you're doing an excellent job!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2006   #71
Thanks a lot Rebecca, I will try to get darken some areas, I think that that is because I work inverse to you, I mean, u work from the dark to light, and I work shading the light, I will try your way on next paint, many thanks for the hints, I promess I will try to contrast more.

Thanks

Old 03 March 2006   #72
Talking

Digital Sol,

No problem! By the way, I'm far from infallible, so feel more than free to crit my work as well. I've learned tons from these OFDWs and watching the amazing work here...so please feel free to give me comments and criticism as well.

Small update:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2006   #73
Talking

Another thing that I find useful is to paint really zoomed out ~ this helps me to see value relationships and major relationships of the biggest masses. I can more easily see mistakes at this level. As you can see, my painting is zoomed out so that it's shown at 6.25% of it's real size.

Seen at this level, I can already pick out areas that need a lot of fixing.

Traditional artists and illustrators had to use optical devices to get a far away look at their work when standing relatively nearby. Luckily, when working digitally, no such clunky devices are required.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 03 March 2006 at 12:34 AM.

Old 03 March 2006   #74
Hey guys, I've been putting off starting one of these for a while! so im stoked to have begun! wohoo me. Bit over an hour so far i think... just been blocking in main shapes and colours and refining. Im not skillz enough to be doing underpaintings .
Thanks for looking and hello to everyone!! Guido

Old 03 March 2006   #75
Talking

Heya Guido!

Welcome aboard! I just watched your short film, 'Cat and a Nude Man', awesome, that was hilarious! I'm not an animation judge, but your short definitely had me laughing. Great 2D work on your site as well! Looking forward to seeing how you develop your piece.

Update for me...I fiddled a bit with the size and positions of the figures' heads, the big J's head was too small and narrow, and the head of the character to the left was too small. I think it's a bit better now:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread