Open Figure Drawing Workshop - Caravaggio Master Copy / Reference - with Rebeccak 015

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
Update

Almost done with the sketch part

03 March 2006
Hi all !!Just dropping by for some cheering here !!

Some stunning starts everyone , you guys insanely fast and great ! wow , can't wait to see how all your work is going to turn into !!

@ Sabie : go ... go ... go , go , go !!! otherwise challenge entry ... in 2 months

@ Beckie : w00t !! ... lovely start ... Beckie rules !!

cheers everyone ,

-Zapan

"One today is worth two tomorrows"
-Benjamin Franklin-

03 March 2006
Digital Sol, coming along really nicely mate,

Zapan, Join!

Last Update tonight.

Last edited by Jack Shannon : 03 March 2006 at 06:44 PM.

03 March 2006
Hi,

I'm going crazy about this work. The dreadlocks of the, I think it is a man, isn't it? *smile* They are hard to paint. And I have got a problem with the background, it is too *word lost* pixel-like .

I never learned drawing, only at school (25 yrs. ago) and as a hobby... if I make some mistakes, please tell me.

It is great to see other people entering the workshop and it is really an adventure for me to be here.

LG,
Ellie

03 March 2006
Thumbs up

Thanks a lot Jack, I like very much your progress, I can't explain to myself how u can see through that paint stains Its wonderful, even more, how u can smooth those, what tool u use, blur? or just the paintbrush.

Stunning start for u.

03 March 2006
Talking

Elliepower,

Great progress on this, and very fast! Watch the left arm of the central figure (the big J) ~ it looks a tad small, but this is an easy fix in PS. Also I think heightening the contrast will really give this picture pop! Looking forward to your next update!

mindofka,

Great to see you here, even if only for cheering! It's always great to see so many people interested in these Workshops! Feel free to hop on board if you get the chance.

Kalorlo,

Great to see you here! Great base coat, I look forward to seeing how this develops!

Jack,

Wow, looking great! I'm really excited to see your work on the boards!

Digital Sol,

This is looking fantastic ~ I love the foreground figure, there's a real sense of his presence. Nice work so far!

Steph,

It's great to see you here!! Thanks for chearing, you're always welcome!!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2006
Talking

Of use to some people here might be the following thread, which is an informal Workshop run here on the Anatomy Forum:

Color Theory and The Human Figure - NUDITY
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2965469#post2965469

Specifically of interest there:
Quote:

the following image is from: http://www.worqx.com/color/images/shade-tint-wheel.jpg
see full article: http://www.worqx.com/color/shade_tint.htm

In this diagram from the above source, tints are toward the center, and shades toward the outer rings of the color wheel.

According to this article: http://www.worqx.com/color/color_basics.htm

hue = what we think of as 'color'. 'Color' is actually defined by a bunch of different properties as described here.

tint = a hue produced by adding white.
shade = a hue produced by adding black.
intensity = the brightness or dullness of a hue. One may lower the intensity by adding white or black.

value = A measure of the amount of light reflected from a hue. Those hues with a high content of white have a higher luminance or value.

For those of you working in Photoshop, it's often useful to use the HSB (Hue, Saturation, Brightness) pallette, which allows you to adust the individual color properties of Hue, Saturation, Brightness manually:

Hope this is useful!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2006
Thanks that looks very interesting.

I have seen this question at the forums before, but I want to ask u, how u detail a paint?, I mean, you have some paint stains, like in Rebecca or Jack's artwork, and then...? u use the blur tool? the smudge? or just keep on painting with hard and soft brushes, please maybe it's an obvious question but I will be thankful if you can explainme a little more, I have my own technique but I think is not good enough.

Thanks

03 March 2006
Ellie, I really enjoyed that closeup, stunning progress.

Digital sol, thanks, well, i haven't tried to use smudge tools. Just paint brush but I tried what Rebecca said and used a combination of soft and hard egde round brushes, works wonders.

03 March 2006
Talking

Digital Sol,

I rarely if ever use the smudge tool, I basically use a combination of soft and hard brushes, and after I establish a 'stain' or area of more or less flat color / or more often in my case, value, with a somewhat harder brush, I'll go in with a softer brush and a sligthtly lighter value to gently brush in highlights.

The key is to work from dark to light, and from large areas to small areas. You can color pick from your painting easily when in brush mode by alt + clicking your canvas, which temporarily turns your brush into the eyedropper tool. Once the color has been selected, I may select a slightly brighter value or hue from the color pallette or from my swatches, and continue to refine an area, alternating between dark and light tones to build a sense of form.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by Digital Sol: Thanks that looks very interesting.

I have seen this question at the forums before, but I want to ask u, how u detail a paint?, I mean, you have some paint stains, like in Rebecca or Jack's artwork, and then...? u use the blur tool? the smudge? or just keep on painting with hard and soft brushes, please maybe it's an obvious question but I will be thankful if you can explainme a little more, I have my own technique but I think is not good enough.

Thanks

Well personally I find the smugde and blur tools are a little clumsy, and i just use the paint tool and press ALT very often to pick colours and blend that way, but some people i know use the smugde tool, just try and experiment and see what you find more comfortable.

edit: opps rebecca got there first

Oh and also, you reffer to those 'paint stains' well they dont actually look like that in photoshop but once saved the quality gets reduced dramaticly and the once soft gradients turn into stainy looking things
i have tryed saving at highest quality jpg and png but i cannot prevent the quality loss

Last edited by Jack Shannon : 03 March 2006 at 07:12 PM.

03 March 2006
Rebecca, Jack:

Thanks both, I will try that way, I usually paint with hard edged brushes I like the texture that they gives, I almost dont make them smooth, but when I want do it, I make layers of transparencies and the I use the smudge, since they are close values they are easy to merge, but I think that the brushes will give me more accuarancy.

Jack:

The paint looks really well, I call them stains because when u make a sketch in oil directly with paint, I know that technique as the paint stained, the quality loss is the same for me.

03 March 2006
Talking

Quote: Originally posted by Digital Sol: I call them stains because when u make a sketch in oil directly with paint, I know that technique as the paint stained, the quality loss is the same for me.

Heh, I use traditional analogies too, I tend to call them 'washes'.

Quote: Originally posted by Jack: edit: opps rebecca got there first

LOL

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

03 March 2006
Yo

Nice work folks. Thought i'd make a little contribution to this thread >>> 2hour sketch Photoshop>

Thread Closed share thread