Open Figure Drawing Workshop - Caravaggio Master Copy / Reference - with Rebeccak 015

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #1
Arrow Open Figure Drawing Workshop - Caravaggio Master Copy / Reference - with Rebeccak 015

Welcome to the FIFTEENTH thread of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop!!!

This workshop is open to any medium and any style. Some informal moderation
will be gladly provided by Rebecca Kimmel ~ however, the purpose of the
Workshop is for Artists to interact with and informally critique one anotherís work.

Due to the popularity and outstanding success of the previous Master Copy Workshops, we will be continuing this week with another Master Copy Workshop! However, those who choose to do so may also work from Reference from Hong Ly's Website, www.characterdesigns.com.
This week we will be working from a choice of 2 new Master Paintings by Caravaggio:

Note: This Workshop will last at least 3, and possibly 4 weeks. Depending on how far people get in 3 weeks, we may extend the time period to 4 weeks.

Choice 1: (See below for links)

Caravaggio (1571-1610)
The Entombment
Oil on canvas, 1602-1603
118 x 79 7/8 inches (300 x 203 cm)
Pinacoteca, Rome

Choice 2: (See below for links)

Caravaggio (1571-1610)
Supper at Emmaus
Oil on canvas, 1601-1602
54 5/8 x 76 3/4 inches (139 x 195 cm)
National Gallery, London

Choice 3: (See below for links)

Male Reference Image #1 from www.characterdesigns.com

Choice 4: (See below for links)

Male Reference Image #2 from www.characterdesigns.com

>>RULES FOR THE THREADS<<

1. Photographs are the property of artrenewal.org and are copyrighted as such.

2. The drawings created from the photo reference provided here MUST be TASTEFUL, SINCERE, RESPECTFUL, and for the purpose of serious study of the human figure. Those who post silly, disrespectful, or tasteless work will have their posts deleted immediately
and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Rebecca Kimmel reserves the right to determine which drawings are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful to the Reference used here in the OFDWs.3. There is NO TIME LIMIT for posting on this thread.

3. Typically, new threads containing new photographs will be posted on a bi-weekly basis ~ however, for this Workshop, 3~4 weeks will be allowed before the next OFDW.

4. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only your BEST WORK, even if it is considered unfinished.

5. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

6. I will be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads should be on Group Critique and interaction.

7. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Gestural, Sketch, Finished Render, etc.

8. EDIT: 3D Artists who wish to use the reference for 3D models are free to do so. I just ask that you post your work here as well as in any 3D forum in which you post your work.

9. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 800 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please!

10. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art!

LINKS to Images: WARNING: Nudity:

>>>REFERENCE IMAGE #1, The Entombment: Master Painting by Caravaggio<<<

>>>Alternate REFERENCE IMAGE source (same painting as above): Master Painting by Caravaggio<<<

~~~

>>>REFERENCE IMAGE #2, Supper at Emmaus: Master Painting by Caravaggio<<<

>>>Alternate REFERENCE IMAGE source (same painting as above): Master Painting by
Caravaggio<<<

~~~

REFERENCE IMAGE #3, Male Reference #1

~~~

REFERENCE IMAGE #4, Male Reference #2

~~~

PLEASE NOTE: WIP (Work In Progress) images are an important part of the OFDWs and are encouraged. Please DO post WIP images as you work on your pieces.

PLEASE NOTE
THAT WHILE THE CONTENT OF THE CARAVAGGIO PAINTINGS IS RELIGIOUS IN NATURE, THIS IS IN NO WAY AN ENDORSEMENT OF RELIGION OF ANY KIND.

Good luck!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 03 March 2006 at 12:01 AM.

Old 03 March 2006   #2
I think I'm in this time round.

Old 03 March 2006   #3
Good morning everyone!

Good to see that the next OFDW is online now, some interesting references, Becca...this seems to be an opportunity for me to practise some cloth painting , the choice is not easy this time...

-sabrina

Old 03 March 2006   #4
Talking

Teck,

You think, therefore you are!

Heya Sabie!

I've just seen the link to your OFDW piece in the Gallery, that's fantastic! Can't wait to see your beautiful contribution here!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2006   #5
Whad up

I'm glad u combined the refrence intho this, i dont think that ill have time to do the master copys. But man those masters are awesome.

Old 03 March 2006   #6
Hi Rebeccak,

I am new here, but watching for some time the beautyful pictures. But now it is time to start something big, I think for me this is perhaps too big. But how do we say in Germany: Take a jump into fresh water.

I don't know what is the right way to start, so I tried this. Also I don't know much about painting, but a few things I recognized: not to pick colors from the original, do not trace, forget lines and never give up if you failed.

cu,
Ellie

Old 03 March 2006   #7
Wow, big huge paintings! I think I'll attempt The Entombment. I learned an awful lot about skintones doing the Bouguereau and think I could learn much about lighting from this one. I really struggle with that.

Speaking of Bouguereau, I think he's become my new favourite. I've been closely studying all of this paintings at Art Renewal and am often stunned at his skill. Beautiful work so thanks for the intro Rebecca! I'd never heard of him before 012

Old 03 March 2006   #8
Hey everyone. I think I will have to step out on this one. I have to get serious about studying for my exam at the end of April. I will do the next one. I will watch yall though! Good luck everyone!

My new anatomy thread

My Graphic Novel thread! & Blog

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Art is never finished, It's abandoned!

Old 03 March 2006   #9
Talking Im new

From long long time I had been here at CG talk, and I haven't post anything yet because I didn't have enough level for compete with u talented guys and gals, this will be my first try, even if this is a hard challege, have fun everyone

Old 03 March 2006   #10
Talking

depleteD,

No worries, hoping you'll participate with the characterdesign reference!

Elliepower,

Welcome aboard! Great to see the start of your piece, it looks like you have a strong beginning here! It's great that you're mapping out all of the base colors, I just recommending putting down your darks first and building up the lights. Good luck, looking forward to your progress!

Amerasu,

Great to see you on board for this one, and can't wait to see what you do! Bouguereau was not unknown to me before, but I confess that I didn't really look at his work much until I heard his name mentioned a lot on the forums. I'm really glad I gave his work a new look!

aggie93,

We'll look forward to your participation as a cheerleader!

Digital Sol,

Just do the best you can, that's what we're all here for!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2006   #11
Busy

Hi,

try to do my best. I think the characters in my version will never look like in the original. Boooh. And so much to do... can I only put a peanut on the table instead of those many food?

LG,
Ellie

Old 03 March 2006   #12
Thumbs up

ElliePower's is looking great!!, why I can't begging with the paint like all u do? I don't know, but for me all is ezest with a lineart

I'm at work right now, so, I work in this from time to time, I hope somebody could give me an opinion, thanks.

Last edited by Digital Sol : 03 March 2006 at 06:30 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #13
Talking

Elliepower,

Great update! The things to watch are the foreground left figure ~ his figure / head should be quite a bit larger I think since he is in the foreground. Really nice work with the central figure and the figure on the right!

Digital Sol,

Nothing wrong with starting with linework! The 'old masters' certainly started with well~planned drawings before ever tackling paint. In fact, there is a saying which you may know which goes, 'Drawing IS Painting'. Looking forward to your next update!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 03 March 2006   #14
Elliepower: Holy crap that was quick!
Digital Sol: Everyone has their own way of working, so don't worry at all about laying down the foundations through linework. Besides, your lines are looking solid.

Old 03 March 2006   #15
Oh man! You had to launch the caravaggio one just as I figure out there's another challenge running that I've missed a month on already. And not only that, you put Hong Ly's references of guy with gun, probably my next biggest weakness after big red monsters... aye aye aye... I need a clone, darn it. Will do my utmost to join in this time!

Thread Closed share thread