TUTORIALS - The Book of Bones - by Doctor Bone

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2006
Hatched

Thanks SpiritDreamer <> I think that one of the benefits of this exercise is that it puts the focus on the whole <> you become more aware of the whole page <> I try no to get to involved in details or on any one figure and try to be aware to the texture and composition of the whole page.

Did more work on the final and here is a short version of the process.
(Absolutely no reference involved in this exercise)

The Cubes and Eggs

Establishing Torsos

Fleshing Out

05 May 2006
I've just finished downloading every page of this thread.What can i say...
I loved to watch your cubes and eggs process and the skull tutorial was truly great..and the hands..
Well,i sure hope your students in Dallas appreciate what they have.

Thanks,much respect!

05 May 2006
Bones Muscles Flesh Oh My!

A few pages of note for tonight demo and lecture on the pelvis <> I know they are rough and hard to follow but the key points are that the pelvis and its position in space and its relationship to the ground plane is the most important piece of information in understanding a pose. It is the mechanical axis of the body and the fulcrum for the strongest muscles groups in the body.

If not the starting point it is certainly a very early consideration when dealing with the figure.

Because of the fact the pelvic block and how the HWD of that block need to be understood.

One point I would like to make is that these diagrams are not a way to draw but away to understand complex forms <> understanding therefore is the key, because we cannot draw well what we do not understand.

Thank you all for feeding the monkey have to get to the studio now to get ready for my lecture.

Polonoid <> Thanks sorry these pages are hard to follow <> under the weather this week and just trying to get caught up.

05 May 2006
Lower Leg Tutorial

I am going to deal with the Posterior muscle group first and the first muscle of that group is the Soleus which is so named because it is shaped like a Soul fish.

I believe it to be the most important muscle in the lower leg because it is visible from all angles and add form and grace to the lower leg.

I will continue with the muscles of the back (posterior) then go to the front

This will take a while <> the important thing to remeber is that as artist the important aspects are the function and the form <> are muscles that perform the same function can usually be grouped together and the shape of the total group becomes the mass conception to remember.

I should of cleaned these images up a little in PS next time

The last surface muscle of the posterior group is the Flexor Digitalis Longus which runs behind the base of the Tibia on the Medial (inside) of the foot.

Artist generally don't deal with this muscle but I find that it adds form to the front and rear view of the ankle <> this is going to be it for the posterior view will continue with the anterior (front) and lateral (outside) views tomorrow.

Last edited by DoctorBone : 05 May 2006 at 10:35 PM.

05 May 2006
I feel ashamed at just looking at the images in this topic. I will put some time in to night to read all the useful posts that were made here. Thanks for the effort you put in here Michaelis!

Sketchbook

05 May 2006
I am truly amazed! Your work is stunning and truly inspiring! Thankyou so much for creating these tutorials.

06 June 2006
i'm studying this tut sir...

thanks and 5star from me

06 June 2006
FootNotes

A few footnotes I did before lastweeks lecture <> I try to reveiw the material before every lecture to refresh my memory and to learn something new <> I deal with the foot as having to skeletal structures the "ankle system" and the "heel system"

Let me apologize is advance because I know some of my notes are not that clear

06 June 2006
Thx a lot!

'A drawing is not well done unless it captures a state of mind.'
:Davinci:

07 July 2006
TradeSecrets

Not one of my better drawings, but I have had a lot of questions about the methods or techniques and materials I use so I thought I would post this here!

This is a mini tutorial on aspects of my pen and ink technique that I have been using on my old master studies.

These start with reference which I sometimes copy and put in construction lines for the keystone of the nose and the dental arch.

Here I drew the keystone on the reference copy (don't do this in books)

Also drew construction lines for brows, corners of eyes, base of nose and opening between the lips >>> I do not do this very often but it is valuable to check the angles which is where most drawings do wrong from the start.

Use straight lines to begin, because straight lines are easier to judge for angles.

I cannot stress the importance of getting the angles right <> we all have a tendency to straighten everything up and we constantly need to check and recheck angles.

The next order of business is to get a feeling for the placement of the eye sockets (which I visualize as aviator sunglasses) <> the triangle of the base of the nose and the center to the mouth.

Note that I am working from the inside out <> Daniel Greene who is a master at portraits works this way and points out as a kid that he drew the outline of the United States and then started to put in the states and by the time he got to the middle he had to start making the states smaller and smaller to get them to fit.

It does make a lot of sense to start from a central point and work out from there <> I prefer the Glabella of keystone of the eye sockets because of it central location and structural importance.

It is also critical in the placement of the eye sockets and the eyes which are more often than not the focal point of the portrait.

Also note that I get some tone in very early because I think line and tone should work together.

Paper: Speckletone recycled (kraft) from French Paper Company, not great for the wet media but I do like the color.

As you can see I work directly with ink with no pencil sketches to start.

For this drawing, and many I have done recently, I am using Nexus rollerball pens made by Koh-l-nor in Germany.

The Nexus pens come in a great selection of earth tones and can be softened with a alcohol marker blender.

The blender is what creates part of the yellow wash effect.

The first hatching I do is for general tone and to start the search for the planes.

The second phase of hatching I look for corners and start defining the planes.

I try to always keep thinking of the unity of line and mass (value) <> this is not how I have always worked. Like everyone else I use to work the line first and then fill in the shapes <> I have only been consciously working them both at the same time for a few months.
I feel very strongly that it is the right approach and now when I look back at the Old Master's I see that's exactly how they approached their studies.

I use a variety of pale Tria and Copic markers the get a little variety in the tonal structure and begin hatching over the marker tones and softening the edges with the marker blender (The Copic marker blender works better than the Tria blender) (in general I prefer the Copic products.

I do want to say that I really don't think to much about the phases of hatching, as they all seem to co- mingle, I do try to avoid creating tick-tack-toe checkerboards and in the latter stages I really try to start following the form.

I also start turning my sketchbook to get the angles I need to hatch. Not that many secrets. The real secret is to do it a lot!

T

07 July 2006
AWESOME STUFF!! this stuff is great and so usefull thanx a lot

07 July 2006
Bones

Thanks Ravmaster <> Feeding the dancing bear always makes the show better LOL

Here are a couple of notes on hands I did today <> always looking to increase my understanding of structure and function

08 August 2006
I really appreciate the overview of the portrait. Seeing it develop and what you're thinking is very helpful. Love the box and egg method -- just a great method to practice with .

08 August 2006
The Doctor Is In The House

Here are a few new coffee stains and donut crumbs....

Last edited by DoctorBone : 08 August 2006 at 03:08 PM.

08 August 2006
Hey Doc, great tutorial on portraits and some awsome sketches as always....this kinda medicine is sweet.

My Website
My Anatomy Thread @ CGTalk

Thread Closed share thread