TUTORIALS - The Book of Bones - by Doctor Bone

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2006
HandandMoreHands

Moving Closer to the Tutorial.
Hands don't come easy for anybody <> if someone draws hands and feet well it is because they have put in the time to learn to draw them.

04 April 2006
LotsAndLotaOfHands

Yes Virginia I have drawn a bunch of hands and the still take a lot of thought.

Last edited by DoctorBone : 04 April 2006 at 08:37 PM.

04 April 2006
LearningToDrawHands

Sorry I am making so many post but it will only let me load so many at a time
Joined CGS btw so I am here to stay

04 April 2006
HandTutorials

This is where I really started to learn to draw hands from memory, when I begin to realize that the key was to understand the underlying structure.
Of course we always have a model if we need one.

04 April 2006
Tutorial Continued

It is more important to know the function a muscle or group of muscles that to know the names. Function creates form.

04 April 2006
HandTutorialsCont.

04 April 2006
NeverDoneLearningtoDrawHands

Here are a few more recent studies <> I think becoming a master is realizing that you really never master anything only evolve

04 April 2006
Hi ....Doctor Bone... ....WOW....That's a lot of nice...and hard... work there...
very impressive...the hands are great, but that eloquent line of yours...wow..really breaths
life into them....a real pleasure seeing these....glad to hear that your sticking around...I really enjoy
studying your work....very inspireing...
TAKE CARE
Glenn

04 April 2006
Wow Doctor Bone

This thread is turning into an encyclopedia of knowledge!

Thanks so much!

04 April 2006
Moving Time

Thanks Spirit and Mu

Just moving a few things over from CA so if you have already seen this stuff I apologize.

Will be posting new stuff here as it develops.

This a system I developed to learn to draw the skull totally from memory with no reference <> no focus for the past few years has been to learn the draw the figure from without reference in any postion <> the hands above started out in about 98 totally from reference, Bridgman and others around 2002 I started to learn how to do it totally from memory and imagination <> I am not where I want to be with it and never will be.

But here is the process know it is hard to read and I apologize for that in advance!

Last edited by DoctorBone : 04 April 2006 at 06:05 PM.

04 April 2006
FootFetish

04 April 2006
incredible work! thanks so much for doing this, very informative and inspiring!

04 April 2006
BackTalk

Thanks so much for the feedback <> always important to know someone in watching

Small little spine study >< Really important to understand the curvature and to use the vitality of the inside curve as your guide.

The spine in humans is very unique because we face the world in an upright position. It plays and important part in our anatomical make-up and it plays an important part in my approach to dealing with figure structure.

Here is a study I did today to refresh my memory of the forms and functions of the vertebral column.

The column is made up of 29 vertebrae <> 24 real the sacrum and the 4 coccyx or tail vertebrae. We are mainly concerned with the 24 real functioning vertebrae which include: the 7 cervical or neck vertebrae, 12 thoracic or rib cage vertebrae and the 5 lumbar vertebrae.

Anyway here is the start of my review for my anatomy workshops.

Just added a couple a diagrams and notes to this page <> noticed that the vertabrae divide up according to the cranial index which is a guide to the curvature <> do not mean to dwell on this to much but it is the core of the structure the center post on which all else depends.

The artist needs to understand the support system and the functions that create the external forms or they will forever by a slave to coping surface detail.

And no matter how good one gets at copying surface detail there is always something lacking in the final result in terms of weight, balance and vitality.

So it is important to observe and see and have the hand skills to express and render what you see from reference or life, but it is also important to have a good knowledge of function and form so we know what we are seeing what it does and where to look for it.

I really don't think you can divide the approaches, as many seem to think, I think both are important to end up with a great product.

Thanks all <> return visits soon

Last edited by DoctorBone : 04 April 2006 at 02:37 PM.

04 April 2006
WhichCameFirst

Which Came First the Cube or the Egg?

I have had several request to do this cube and egg exercise again.
I scanned this very early so that I could make the point that I establish the cube first and then relate the egg to it.

The reason for this of course is that the cube depicts all three dimensions::
The HWD factor: Height >< Width >< Depth

Also here it represents the pelvic girdle which is the foundation element in my approach to the figure.

The point is that it is important to establish the position of the pelvic block.

More step-by-step to follow later today

Second installment <> laid the Eggs connected the sternum and the pelvic bone <abdominal band> on front views and the spinal column on back views

Moving on <> once I have a relationship between the cube and the egg and their orientation in space I start to establish the weight and balance >< look for the weight baring leg for standing poses and look for the settling point of gravity on seated and reclining poses.

Moving a little faster now adding some heads which I always save till near the end because it is balanced on top of the rest of the structure and I like to give it a counterpoint to everything else that is going on <> started to look for some side planes and down planes to establish a little more form to work with.

A little more fleshing out of the figures <> going to take a break more to come

Firming up a couple of figures to see how far I want to carry this puppy <> obviously this is a great exercise to get to some poses you normally wouldn't get to from memory and for me it is fun to stretch a little.

This is all for now <> it is past beer thirty and well into gin time for the Doc.

Hope some of you find this exercise interesting

Last edited by DoctorBone : 04 April 2006 at 09:09 PM.

04 April 2006
Hi...Dr Bone.....Really like how you are getting a lot of motion on the page right from the
start....circular motion...my eye can't stop traveling around and around LOL...NICE...
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Thread Closed share thread