Open Figure Drawing Workshop 010 with Hong Ly and Rebeccak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2005   #31
Hi everyone, so many good stuff .

I those ribs are so complicated. I tried but I delete off. Gonna it try tml.

Old 12 December 2005   #32
Talking

ericyeo,

Great start! I love that you're getting bold with color ~ it means you're getting confident with it.

Can't wait to see your update!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #33
i dont have any time :( i spent too long on it already. i only have 10 days off from school and then its exams.

lemog - you've made my day btw your piece is really amazing, i love your sharp lines

ericyeo - those feet are amazing

Old 12 December 2005   #34
Talking

yulias,

No worries! You did a beautiful piece. I hope you will join us for more OFDWs when you have the time.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #35
Here's an update, I rejected colour for now due to my inabillity to employ it to any sort of basic standard>> switched to greyscale.

Old 12 December 2005   #36
Talking

Nice stuff, AOAH! The face is coming together nicely...which reminds me that I should get back to mine...

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #37
Talking

Small update for me...

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #38
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: dogyears,

Welcome to the OFDWs and to the Anatomy Forum! Great to see your posts!

I quite like the painterliness of both of these...may I ask, which paint package are you using?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Nothing fancy. The Gimp actually - I can't even afford photoshop !

Old 12 December 2005   #39
Talking

dogyears,

No worries! Have you ever tried ArtRage?

http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

It's a free downloadable app that's really great for painting also. I've used it just a bit ~ Mr. Mu uses it and really likes it. A friend of mine just raves about it.

You might want to check it out if you get the chance!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #40
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: dogyears,

No worries! Have you ever tried ArtRage?

http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

It's a free downloadable app that's really great for painting also. I've used it just a bit ~ Mr. Mu uses it and really likes it. A friend of mine just raves about it.

You might want to check it out if you get the chance!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Actually I have, I'm not a big fan really. It's awesome software, but a tad too realistic ... to be honestl I don't really go out of the way to make my paintings painterly (I would actually like a more photorealistic style), but they just turn out that way somehow. Any tips ?

Old 12 December 2005   #41
Talking

Quote: Originally posted by dogyears: Actually I have, I'm not a big fan really. It's awesome software, but a tad too realistic ... to be honest I don't really go out of the way to make my paintings painterly (I would actually like a more photorealistic style), but they just turn out that way somehow. Any tips?

Hmm, I'm not familiar with Gimp, but generally speaking I would say to limit your pallette initially to only a few colors ~ paint swatches on your canvas, and sample them repeatedly. Choose a light / highlight, a midtone, and a dark ~ and stick with that limited pallette. You could use a light pink, a medium orange~brown, and a dark brown, for example, and start to build the figure that way. Don't try to overcomplicate things. It's not color that's going to create form, it's VALUE. So focus on that and not on color.

Also, now that you've got a nice foundation laid, you might just try using smaller brushes to get more detail and to refine the figure. Concentrate on what matters the most ~ and work from large to small as you paint. Don't go after the eyes first, but the eye sockets, and the general shapes of the head.

After that point, it's just a matter of continually refining your shape and value placements.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #42
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Hmm, I'm not familiar with Gimp, but generally speaking I would say to limit your pallette initially to only a few colors ~ paint swatches on your canvas, and sample them repeatedly. Choose a light / highlight, a midtone, and a dark ~ and stick with that limited pallette. You could use a light pink, a medium orange~brown, and a dark brown, for example, and start to build the figure that way. Don't try to overcomplicate things. It's not color that's going to create form, it's VALUE. So focus on that and not on color.

Also, now that you've got a nice foundation laid, you might just try using smaller brushes to get more detail and to refine the figure. Concentrate on what matters the most ~ and work from large to small as you paint. Don't go after the eyes first, but the eye sockets, and the general shapes of the head.

After that point, it's just a matter of continually refining your shape and value placements.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Thanks. I will give that a shot in my next portrait ... maybe sometime later in the day.

Old 12 December 2005   #43
Cool! Look forward to the results...update coming up...

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #44
Talking

Another update (sorry guys, I tend to do a lot of these)

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #45
thats coming along quite nicely Rebeccak. are you going to color it or is it gonna remain a valuestudie?

face in black and white ~ not too successful thou .

~David René.

Thread Closed share thread