Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #46
Mu
enthusiast

portfolio
Murat Kayi
Dortmund, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Mu
I knew this interactive demo because it was linked as further reading in one of your "color theory"-links in the beginning of this thread.

Actually, I get the feeling, that with understanding colors it is much more a matter of practise than with anything else. It is like stumbling on blindly til you start to see shapes gradually.

Kindalikesortof

Old 01-19-2006, 02:18 PM   #47
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Mr. Mu,

I totally agree with what you say ~ understanding color is mainly a matter of practice ~ that is absolutely the case ~ bear in mind that I learned color as a traditional painter, and so my primary experience is of mixing real life paint. Paint differs from pixels, but the basic color property descriptions are the same. Both painting traditionally and digitally with color require practice ~ those little color swatches are instructive, but the real work involves a bit of elbow grease and just digging right in.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #48
danielh68
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Helzer
Illustrator
Reno, USA

I decided to use this one for reference. I changed the composition quite a bit.

Great thread Rebeccak...I don't see how you manage all this stuff...you must be very busy. Hats off to ya!

HelzerSketch Blog

Old 01-20-2006, 08:07 PM   #49
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

danielh68,

Great to see you on this thread! I was hoping you'd find it...really looking forward to your contributions ~ I really love your sense of color and your sketches! Please post as much information and sketches here as you would like.

Will definitely take a look at this when I'm at home...and thank you for the feedback!

EDIT: I looked at your piece really briefly ~ nice start! Are you going to go for a realistic color scheme / or a more interpretive one? Either is fine with me.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 01-20-2006 at 08:14 PM.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:35 PM   #50
danielh68
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Helzer
Illustrator
Reno, USA

Definitley interpretive I'm playing around with some theories developed by Charles Hawthorne. It has a lot to do with temperature, as well as, applying pure pigment to the canvass initally, then adding greys afterwards.

Spent a little more time during lunch break.

HelzerSketch Blog

Last edited by danielh68 : 01-20-2006 at 10:42 PM.

Old 01-21-2006, 03:59 AM   #51
danielh68
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Helzer
Illustrator
Reno, USA

Used this image but changed the composition around, along with some other stuff.

HelzerSketch Blog

Old 01-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #52
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

danielh68,

It's fantastic to have your participation here, I quite admire your style and dedication to digital painting...at some point, I hope you do a Tutorial here on your techniques and methods ~ I know you're constantly working to improve and try new things, and I think people here on the forum would really benefit from demos of how you work.

I am really partial to your second image ~ for me it has more emotional resonance. I think the critique I would have is that the icebergs need to have more substance / be darker in value somehow, as currently they are different in hue from their surroundings, but not much different in value...but I quite like the way you've contrasted textures in the sky and also value / hue.

I think you might quite like the work of a former teacher of mine, whose work can be found here:

http://www.jcacciolagallery.com/Pag...sts/Turner.html

Really brilliant use of sunset / dusky / apocalyptic color ~ and his work has gotten better over time.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01-21-2006, 06:19 PM   #53
danielh68
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Helzer
Illustrator
Reno, USA

Thanks, Rebeccak.

About the tutorial...sure, I'll do one at some point if people are interested.

I enjoyed the link, excellent work. He wouldn't be related to "the" William Turner? His work has some similarities.

This morning, I worked a little bit more on the glacier piece. Although, I gotta go because my dog is badgering me --- he hasn't had his morning run, yet.

Thanks, again.

HelzerSketch Blog

Old 01-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #54
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

danielh68,

You're more than welcome! Woo, I really like this update...the far right glacier in particular I think is really nicely done...the foreground glacier still bothers me a bit, because of the hard edges I think...but I really like the direction you've taken this in. It's funny how a few changes can really affect the mood of a piece, no? I feel that this is much quieter, and a lot more thoughtful than the previous version. Color, but also texture, are certainly the responsible factors. I definitely think there would be interest in your tutorials. Feel free to either post them here, or independently on the Anatomy Forum or elsewhere, and I'll link them in the first few posts.

BTW, no, the two Turners are not related, though I agree they share some similarities.

Some works with which you are likely familiar by Monet...while Monet used light and sometimes 'fluffy' colors, his work was never 'fluffy' to my mind, and always seemed to have a depth as conveyed through both line and intensity of closely observed and imagined color combinations...while not my favorite artist, I certainly love his work for his brilliance. Do you have artists in particular whom you admire particularly for their sense of color?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #55
danielh68
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Helzer
Illustrator
Reno, USA

Yeah, there's something about the foreground glacier that needs improvement. Like you said,
the hard edge is too constant. I might blend the "hardness" into a abstract shape as it reaches the edge of the canvass. I'll continue to fiddle with it.

In regards to "Colorists", I'm fond of all the masters from the Impressionist and Post-Impressionist periods.

Despite being very popular, Monet is one of my favorites in this category. I love all his garden pieces: lilies, Japanese bridge, etc. I was especially impressed when I witnessed them in person. Up close, they're very abstract.

I also like the portrait he did of his wife while she lay lifeless in her bed. Very strange, but I think it says a lot about his nickname "The Eye".

Here are some modern painters that I like:

Wolf Kahn:

Wayne Thiebaud:

Frank Hyder:

HelzerSketch Blog

Old 01-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #56
Arctis
~ The Voyager ~

portfolio
Pierre Droal
Illustrator, visual artist
Paris, France

For Divinerain

If you don't mind, I've made a quick paintover on your eye, just to show you that an eye is surrounded by muscles and the nose. If you underline their presence, even if it's a young woman, you'l have a more tangible character.
I personnaly think that young women are the most difficult type of body to draw, because you hardly see what's behind the skin. In consequence, it has to be underlined, otherwise it's shy.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:23 PM   #57
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by danielh68: In regards to "Colorists", I'm fond of all the masters from the Impressionist and Post-Impressionist periods.

Despite being very popular, Monet is one of my favorites in this category. I love all his garden pieces: lilies, Japanese bridge, etc. I was especially impressed when I witnessed them in person. Up close, they're very abstract.

I also like the portrait he did of his wife while she lay lifeless in her bed. Very strange, but I think it says a lot about his nickname "The Eye".

I know what you mean...though this portrait always struck me as somewhat heartless and cruel:

I think she was still alive at the time? Not sure.

I've also heard a quote said about Monet by his contemporaries, which goes something like, "Monet is only an eye...but what an eye". I've just googled the quote, and apparently the comment was made by Cezanne.

Thanks for posting those images of your fav artists...I love Thiebaud as well, but hadn't heard of Frank Hyder. Will have to look him up.

Arctis,

Nice job with the paintover ~ a different approach which I think is really helpful.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01-21-2006, 08:31 PM   #58
danielh68
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Helzer
Illustrator
Reno, USA

Yeah, I'm unsure whether she was dead or near-death. Nonethless, those are the exact feelings I have when I look at that piece.

Also, thanks for the exact quote -- my mind is fuzzy

HelzerSketch Blog

Old 01-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #59
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

No worries...I don't know why that quote has stuck with me, very little else does.

Glad I'm not the only one a little discomfited by that piece...

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01-21-2006, 09:17 PM   #60
Mu
enthusiast

portfolio
Murat Kayi
Dortmund, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Mu
Hi there,

first let me say: I am soo glad this is not anywhere near a private tuition for me anymore

So what did I do?
I was thinking about what Rebecca said about contrast/brightness.
But I wanted to test wether I was in control of these aspects of colour, so I manually adjusted contrast/brightness by choosing higher values, more saturated hues, and increasing the "distance" between tints and shades.

Hope you like it.

Arctis - what a spectacular paintover! Anatomy background knowledge applied to color theory!

Daniel - don't know wether I actually ever said so, but I bookmarked your sketches-thread in my "favourite artists" gallery folder and highly appreciate your work here, because to my mind it is your color choices (among other things) which help to create your unique style.

*sigh*

forgive me - I am way too talkative...

Thread Closed share thread