Color Theory and The Human Figure - NUDITY

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2006   #31
hi Mr Mu, thanks.. you're nice. Didja get painter IX yet? Lookin forward to seeing an update from ya

Old 01 January 2006   #32
no, no painter yet

they must have sent it via pony express

update: today, today - back in a sec...

Old 01 January 2006   #33
still no details,

this time I had to completely change the hues I used, because when I used more saturated tones I realized I had chosen a wrong hue from the start!

So, another important thing I learned here:
*starts scribbling*

saturated hues = easier to check!

Old 01 January 2006   #34
Talking

Mr. Mu,

Hey now, I'm quite impressed! While I think the original photo leans more to the bluish in the background, I really don't care so long as the hues and their various properties which you select resonate with one another, as they really are doing here.

I quite like where the deep pink/orange of the flower in the upper right of the picture plane meets the aqua~green of the background...I think that's really working well ~ actually, I think the picture as a whole is working well, though some accents of purple and blue might help to punch up the background. Also adding a light, desaturated orange in a limited way for the stalk might really help to set things off. Color is all about relationships ~ not just quality, but also about quantity of hue, value, and saturation.

Will you be working on this further?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01 January 2006   #35
Originally Posted by Rebecca: Will you be working on this further?

muahaha... .............. you are kidding, right?

of course! I just started! I am only just beginning to understand the lesson you set before my nose with these photo refs and I won't stop until I immersed in this topic so far I can study things on my own accord further (so I won't need private tuition for every new prob...)

I want to reach that level I have with greyscale values now: I have understood what I need to learn so I can mind my steps single-handed (with support given when I blindly stumble onto difficult ground, like in the OFDWs, you know?)

So, to cut a long sentence short: erm, yes, I will continue.

By now you might have guessed that this flower is not the only but the first ref I chose to work on...

*shakes head in disbelief*

thought you knew me better by now....

Old 01 January 2006   #36
Talking

DivineRAiN,

I think you have a great start here. I've taken the liberty of doing a paintover of your piece ~ do you mind if I post it? Some people don't like paintovers, so if you would rather I just make verbal comments, let me know.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01 January 2006   #37
Mr Mu your's is coming along nicely I think.. but I'm no expert on this subject. I like what you're doing with the background.

Rebecca, no way, I don't mind at all. Sometimes paintovers happen in Stahlberg's body topology thread to show what's trying to be explained in words.. the visual thing is helpful.
No offense taken here, I'd like to see it

Old 01 January 2006   #38
DivineRAiN,

Thank you. Here is the paintover sequence ~ I hope it helps:

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01 January 2006   #39
Please note that after blurring the top merged image layer, I erased that layer in the area of the flowers to reveal the unblurred layers below (this was done to give the background a blurred effect, while preserving the relative sharpness of the foreground flowers). Also note that I left areas around the petals' edges a bit blurred.

While not a finished painting, I hope this is useful in terms of giving some ideas in terms of how to tweak and enrich color in a painting ~ let me know what you think.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 01 January 2006 at 09:59 PM.

Old 01 January 2006   #40
You know, about increasing brightness and contrast, I tested that while working on my image, too and also found it could use the boost.
What made me not do it, though, was the fact that while I could have produced a better image I would not have understood what exactly happened.

Don't get me wrong - I am lazy as hell and praise all instant-remedy solutions and don't feel I should not use filters etc for any reason (I mean, it's all digital, anyway, I am not a purist)

But I want to understand what I do.

Now, I see that increasing contrast/brightness for example does that painting good. But how can it be done manually, for instance?
What does actually happen? Setting off edges and using higher values throughout the painting? Is that something you would do manually from the beginning when you paint?

I hope I got my confusion across...

Old 01 January 2006   #41
Wow-- that does make the flower stand out and shine. Under normal circumstances the blur would be added to a version that has most (if not all) of your basic colors down?.. and then add the detail after? Or get some detail down before the blur?

Now that you have me thinking about it Mr Mu, I never considered myself to be a purist either, but I don't know why I don't add bright/contrast to the things I paint. I add them to my Terragen renders when I think it's needed, auto-levels and sharpening too. First time around I guess I misunderstood your post, it seemed like you didn't know what effect adding bright/contrast has on an image, so I thought a good way to show the difference is with a washed out terragen render. But I first found an eye so I didn't have to look who knows where on my computer for a washed out render. The eye is a good example. LoL This is really bad. I was trying to follow Linda's painting an eye tutorial.

In her thread I posted my eye pic that is similar to the top left one... why I thought I was done I don't know. Why it didn't occure to me to add some contrast, dunno. The bottom left has a lil gauss blur on a layer with low opacity.

Old 01 January 2006   #42
Talking

Mr. Mu,

I think this little color tutorial can explain it better than I can:

http://www.worqx.com/color/color_basics.htm

Basically, I've done several different things to manipulate the image ~ some having to do with color properties, and some having to do with just general digital painting techniques (none of which are right or wrong, mind you).

1.) I've increased the brightness and contrast of the overall image. This has an obvious effect we can all understand (though I was reading today that changing the brightness / contrast is not always the best thing to do with photographs).

2.) I've adjusted the hue and saturation of the image as a whole, and various parts of the image. I think this makes more sense if you are using Photoshop ~ my apologies, as I wrote the tutorial with DivineRAIN in mind, whom I assume uses Photoshop, and did not take into consideration that you are using a different paint package. (In fact, in light of that, your post now makes more sense to me. You'll have a lot more options similar to those in Photoshop once your copy of Painter arrives).

3.) I've changed the hue in various places of the image by manipulating the selective color properties of the image. Again, my apologies as I really aimed the tut towards a Photoshop user, and forgot about the fact that these image adjustment controls do not exist in ArtRage. I see where you're coming from now.

Basically, if you are painting without fancy controls and sliders that make this work easier, it is all about simply using more saturated colors.

Ok, I think this might help to make more sense of things:

the following image is from: http://www.worqx.com/color/images/shade-tint-wheel.jpg
see full article: http://www.worqx.com/color/shade_tint.htm

In this diagram from the above source, tints are toward the center, and shades toward the outer rings of the color wheel.

Various color related terms are confusing, and it helps to just show what they are ~ doh! *slaps forehead*.

According to this article: http://www.worqx.com/color/color_basics.htm

hue = what we think of as 'color'. 'Color' is actually defined by a bunch of different properties as described here.

tint = a hue produced by adding white.
shade = a hue produced by adding black.
intensity = the brightness or dullness of a hue. One may lower the intensity by adding white or black.

value = A measure of the amount of light reflected from a hue. Those hues with a high content of white have a higher luminance or value.

~~

So basically, what I effectively did in DivineRAIN's painting was to increase the intensity of the various hues (by increasing their saturation). I also increased the brightness/contrast which effectively changed the relationship of tinted and shaded (lightened and darkened) hues in his piece.

I know this is confusing to break color down into its various properties ~ but I hope this helps to make sense of things.

Anyone with something else to offer is more than welcome to do so here.

DivineRAiN,

Did you just now increase the brightness / contrast of your piece? A definite improvement. I hope the paintover was helpful.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 01 January 2006 at 02:12 AM.

Old 01 January 2006   #43
Arrow

Also, here's a great interactive color website that everyone should take a look at:

http://www.poynterextra.org/cp/index.html

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 01 January 2006 at 02:21 AM.

Old 01 January 2006   #44
Wow!

Err WOW!

I actually knew the color basics tutorial website you pointed me to from an earlier link, but your summary/synopsis rocks!
I feel I understand these terms much better, now!

And, as concerns artrage/photoshop features: nevermind!
I actually do have the chance to use contrast/brightness sliders and many other Photoshop-like features for my pics in the GIMP, for example, and I often have done so.
But when you suggested tweaking DivineRAin's painting like this it occured to me that I never truly understood what these sliders actually did.

Now this passage...:
Originally Posted by Rebecca: So basically, what I effectively did in DivineRAIN's painting was to increase the intensity of the various hues (by increasing their saturation). I also increased the brightness/contrast which effectively changed the relationship of tinted and shaded (lightened and darkened) hues in his piece.

...hammered that home to me...

"like... totally, man!"

Thanks!

DivineRAin - thanks for sharing your enhanced eye-study. It is also very enlightening.
I think you increased my brightness...

Old 01 January 2006   #45
Talking

Hey Mr. Mu,

You're welcome! These demos aren't going to go into any color books anytime too soon and they are in large part based off of what I remember from color class a long time ago and off of the online tutorial, but putting them together helped me to remember stuff, too. Color's a lot more complicated than it seems! Glad this could help.

Seriously take a look at that color link that follows the demo post ~ it's got some really excellent examples and is nice as it's interactive.

I've also put the above demo on the first page under 'Color Demos'. If anyone has any corrections or anything to add, please let me know.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 01 January 2006 at 12:20 PM.

Thread Closed share thread