Color Theory and The Human Figure - NUDITY

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2006   #16
Arrow

Mr. Mu,

By no means is this a perfect or finished paintover, but here is a suggestion for the direction I think it might be better to go in ~ more blues, more deep bluish~greens, and more saturated colors generally. Take a look at the following and let me know if you have any questions.

Bear in mind that I'm using Photoshop, and so have access to a broader toolset which I have employed ~ however, once you get Painter, you should have an even broader toolset than that.

Reference image:

http://www.tropicalisland.de/DPS%20...0flower%20b.jpg

Your original image.

I think the thing to try first is to lay down a more saturated base coat, and don't go for whites. If you put whites in from the start, the effect will be to flatten / deaden your picture. Use white sparingly ~ always try to put a bit of color into your whites ~ the same with blacks. Try to avoid pure white and pure black when possible. Use shades (darkened in terms of value) of hues to create your shadow areas, and tints (lightened in terms of values) of hues to create areas of light.

Note that my steps here are kind of random:

1. My main suggestion is to fill the entire background from the start ~ as with the black and white studies, so with color ~ all values / hues are relative and you want to establish the major key first. Here we're thinking mostly deep blues / greens with tinges of purples and some accents of yellow and here and there some desaturated oranges.

Colors will all look differently depending on which colors they are placed next to ~ you just have to go with your gut instinct, lay down some colors, and then tweak them to make them either more or less saturated, a different hue, a different tint (lighter) a different shade (darker) etc.

The key thing to bear in mind is that you won't be able to replicate the colors of the world perfectly ~ often you must exxaggerate and refine color relationships to get the effect that you want. Don't try to copy the photo exactly ~ work on color relationships, and see what actually happens on the page.

I've added the darker and midtone values / hues first. Next I'm starting to build up the lighter areas on top.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 01 January 2006 at 01:50 PM.

Old 01 January 2006   #17
Talking

Just continuing to refine the relationships of hue, value, and saturation...most of it is frankly mucking about, trial and error.

Here I've merged all of my layers in PS and increased the Brightness and Contrast.

Adding deeper blues to accent some of the midtone and light edges of the flowers.

This I would say is about a halfway point in terms of a painting ~ but it gives the basic idea. Note that there are hue contrasts as well as contrasts of value and saturation. Using Color is sort of like flying a kite with these 3 separate strings used to manipulate it. The more you work with these properties of Color, the more comfortable you will feel.

Hope this helps. Like I say, I'm not really a Color teacher ~ but am happy to try to help.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 01 January 2006 at 01:56 PM.

Old 01 January 2006   #18
Originally Posted by Mr. Mu: something that added to my confusion is that my current application's (artweaver) color wheel does not look like anything mentioned in the above tutorials like this one.
In artweaver's color wheel, complementary colours do not lie opposite of each other,e.g.

Artweaver Color Wheel:

Looks like artweaver uses a completely different wheel which makes it hard to follow these tasks. Does anyone know what system the colorwheel of the above screenshot uses?

It looks like the printmakers colorwheel, you got an example of it on the page you linked to

The printwheel has some limitations since not all colors are possible to mix clean - feel free to disagree with me here

And hi Becca!

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 01 January 2006   #19
Talking

Gunie,

Thanks for this! Please help me out in any way you can ~ I'm no color expert, and think of colors more intuitively now than technically. So any advice and tips here is welcome!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01 January 2006   #20
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Gunie,

Thanks for this! Please help me out in any way you can ~ I'm no color expert, and think of colors more intuitively now than technically. So any advice and tips here is welcome!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

It's the same here, I'm afraid - I don't think much about it when I work. I've been a bit into it when it comes to traditional, non-digital paint - so if any questions regarding that will turn up I might jump in. Will keep an eye on this thread for sure

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 01 January 2006   #21
Talking

Originally posted by Gunie: It's the same here, I'm afraid - I don't think much about it when I work. I've been a bit into it when it comes to traditional, non-digital paint - so if any questions regarding that will turn up I might jump in. Will keep an eye on this thread for sure

Thanks Gunie!

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01 January 2006   #22
so,

Originally Posted by rebecca: Use white sparingly ~ always try to put a bit of color into your whites

Will eliminate these in the next step. So I guess it's similar to laying down values? Start from the middle values and add the highlights and shadows later on?

just quickly trying to tune in to the blue hues here...

and a quick comparison... which shows how much I am lost initially when choosing colors - would have never seen the blue hues.

will continue from here, now.

Last edited by Mu : 01 January 2006 at 03:37 PM.

Old 01 January 2006   #23
Talking

Mr. Mu,

Looking good so far.

My main suggestion would be to start with more saturated hues here ~ you can always gray things down (and yes, of course you can also always re~saturate them) ~ but given that our tendency is to start with less saturated hues, it's best to just sort of jump in there and lay everything out on the table in terms of saturation. It's a necessary step toward overcoming timidity towards color.

The other thing I would suggest would be to darken the bkgrd a bit ~ again ~ throw in all the ingredients before mixing things up. And definitely work from your midtones UP in saturation and value, and DOWN in saturation and value.

Keep going! You're determination is impressive Mr. Mu!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01 January 2006   #24
It's a necessary step toward overcoming timidity towards color.

wow, I feel caught in the act, now. That's exactly the reason why I made this choices, albeit not being aware of it.

'kay

*takes a deep breath*

Old 01 January 2006   #25
Talking

Color can't hurt you, Mr. Mu.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01 January 2006   #26
this is an interesting subject.. I read a little on color theory but nothing about it ever stuck with me. So far I have very little experience with digital painting.. basically I deal with color more often when I'm working on terragen scenes. (and no experience with traditional painting) Lastnight I started to try the flower. If this wasn't about trying to copy a picture, I probably would've picked desaturated colors because I tend to like how they look.. but the final result never looks good the next day.

This still needs a lot of work, I didn't start adding any greens to the background and so on. I used procreate painter that came with the tablet. Planning to get painter IX this summer.

Old 01 January 2006   #27
Talking

DivineRAiN,

Welcome to the Anatomy Forum!

Good to see you here, Mr. Mu will be happy that he is no longer alone in his private 'tuition'.

I think what you have so far is quite good, particularly considering that you haven't painted much before.

I think the next thing to think about with respect to your color study is the fact that the background is just as saturated as the foreground object / flower ~ it's good that you've gone the opposite extreme of your (and most folks') tendency to undersaturate their pictures, but now I think it's time to change course and desaturate the background colors a bit so that the background does not compete so much with the foreground.

What happens is that more saturated objects tend to come forward in space, while less saturated objects tend to recede in space. You can see this quite clearly in any mountain scene, where the atmospheric perspective ~ eg, dust and pollutants in the air ~ makes farther objects seem duskier.

http://ecycletours.com/images/Images04/Dolo%20Digitals/Cortina%20mountain%20vistas.jpg

Notice how in this mountain scene, the trees and grass in the foreground are really saturated, with the mountain in the background being more muted / blue~grayish.

Try the same sort of thing with the flower image. Looking forward to your update!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 01 January 2006 at 01:41 AM.

Old 01 January 2006   #28
thanks Rebecca for the welcome and I'll try to keep your words in mind when I work on this tonight. Nice picture to illustrate exactly what you're talking about.

Old 01 January 2006   #29
worked on this for more than a few hours tonight, it doesn't feel like I spent so much time on it.

Old 01 January 2006   #30
Originally Posted by rebeccaK: Mr. Mu will be happy that he is no longer alone in his private 'tuition'.

I am indeed!

divineRAin - I am not much of an authority when it comes to colours, but I like your painting. The detailed objects stand out very pleasantly when compared tothe fuzzy background!

Thread Closed share thread