Open Figure Drawing Workshop 009 with Ben Miller and Rebeccak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2005
Adding some color and working on the face. Need to find time to work on it.

Mecha, I love your approach! i'm very inspired by the bold, loose brushstrokes. I'm gonna try to use in future projects.

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by Zarracin: Mecha, I love your approach! i'm very inspired by the bold, loose brushstrokes. I'm gonna try to use in future projects.

Like you Javier, I'm very interested by his approach... I love this way... not easy for me...

Anyway... I really appreciate all the other interpretations (as yours) and styles... very inspiring sor far

SaraD -> Slowly... but perfectly...

12 December 2005
You´re so right lemog... This is going sooo slow. I am a huge fan of the male body, but not when it comes to paint it It´s hard. But I´m hangin´in there. I refuse to give up

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Mecha,

Sweet progress so far. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Thanks Rebecca

Im probably going to have to work on it a little bit at a time for now on. I just dedicated myself to working on some illustrations for a short story so I'll be concentrating on that until it is complete. I hope to knock out a little more this weekend. - J

12 December 2005
Smile

Quote: by drawmonger: Great poses Ben!

Thanks!

And, thanks to all for the opportunity to participate here in this way and see your works . I'm greatly enjoying it and appreciate it very much .

12 December 2005
Hi Rebecca and everyone
Today's update
#1 Softened last figure posted using softener brush tint section Painter 8
Then started laying on thick impasto strokes of color.
#2 Went over figure with thick impasto brush strokes, oils
Searching out areas of light and shadow
#3 Blended using soft blend stump #30, blender section, Painter 8
Also upped resolution from really low to really high in this phase

Next phase paint over, searching for colors and refine as I go along.
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 12 December 2005 at 03:27 AM.

12 December 2005
Talking

Vidar3d,

Good stuff so far, nice balance and proportions thus far. Looking forward to your update!

Zarracin,

I'm a bit confused ~ you're registered under two different user names? Any particular reason for this? FYI, the first post loads a lot faster than the second. You'll want to compress your jpgs, make a copy that is smaller to post so that it will load fairly quickly. Ideally, a jpg should be under 200 KB to load quickly. No biggie, just letting you know.

At any rate, your piece is looking great, and I look forward to seeing your next steps.

SaraD,

You're doing brilliantly, and I'm sure you're on the fast track to completing this. Looking forward to the final result.

Mecha,

Cool, look forward to seeing your progress later on. Bear in mind, this OFDW will run for another week.

Glenn,

I like your experimentation, keep going with that! Just remember that the strokes aren't more important than the painting, and keep finding that balance between experimentation and representation.

Inspiring stuff here guys and gals!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
Update on my progress. I used drawing with right side of ur brain technique for shaping the contour. For colors, I just need more practices. I never seem to understand color theory. I just paint what i see from the picture and here is my attempt.

oh. I want to thanks rebeccak for the comments and help. In previous post. Im really appreciated

Last edited by ericyeo : 12 December 2005 at 03:21 AM.

12 December 2005
Talking

ericyeo,

No problem.

If you are new to digital painting, then I think that the best thing to do is to focus on doing a Value Study, using just 3 Values: White, Mid-Gray, and Black.

I've taken your original image, and desaturated it in Photoshop (Image > Adjustments > Desaturate, or Ctrl + Shift + U):

I've also increased the Brightness and Contrast on the desaturated image (Image > Adjustments > Brightness / Contrast).

This is to show that Value is more important than Color.

VALUE RANGE = FULL RANGE FROM BLACK -> WHITE:

White Mid-Gray Black

Check out these Tutorials on Grayscale, as well as Color, Digital Painting:

Steven Stahlberg's 'Jealousy - Step by Step' Digital Painting Tutorial
http://www.androidblues.com/Jealous...alousystep.html

TUTORIAL - Shading Techniques (Various Media) - by Rebeccak
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=275436

TUTORIAL - Digital Figure Painting - by Samanthie
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=274082&highlight=Samanthie

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 12 December 2005 at 03:43 AM.

12 December 2005
Ericyeo...
Some of the Old Masters fill in the space around the figure with a very deep purple,almost
black.Then they would take a color that's in the middle of the range of colors that have
been chosen for the skin... the color that's half way between the darkest dark, and the
lightest light...the mid tone color. This color was then used to fill in the entire figure..drawing..
The first, and the most important step, in this technique
This color becomes a unifying element, and unites all of the other colors, and is
the most important color of them all, for this technique. All of the other lighter and darker
colors are placed over, and blended into this midtone color...gives the painting, or figure
unity....also the dark purple background, when blended into the figure, in certain deep
shadow areas, lightens up, and creates a beautiful shadow.
This is just one technique among many however...The key to it all, is to train your eye
to see the the different shades of light and dark, wheather your painting in color,or
black and white halftone.
Hope this helps in some small way, with the color problem you siad you were haveing...

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 12 December 2005 at 10:13 AM.

12 December 2005
Deleted (Double post)

Last edited by Rebeccak : 12 December 2005 at 05:32 AM.

12 December 2005
Triple post

Last edited by Rebeccak : 12 December 2005 at 05:33 AM.

12 December 2005
Talking

ink sketch:

12 December 2005
Talking

Great to see you back on the OFDWs, zhuzhu!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by rebeccak: If you are new to digital painting, then I think that the best thing to do is to focus on doing a Value Study, using just 3 Values: White, Mid-Gray, and Black.

Originally Posted by SpiritDreamer:
[...]the mid tone color. This color was then used to fill in the entire figure..drawing..
The first, and the most important step, in this technique
This color becomes a unifying element, and unites all of the other colors, and is
the most important color of them all, for this technique. All of the other lighter and darker
colors are placed over, and blended into this midtone color

ericyeo - this is what I did with my grayscale paintings on the last two OFDWs, too. It's actually been quite an eye-opener for me to concentrate on values only. Looking forward to your updates!

Thread Closed share thread