Open Figure Drawing Workshop 008 with Hong Ly and Rebeccak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2005
Sigh....I had to give in to the temptation.

Here's a WIP.
About 15/20 mins, PS, wacom. I have to do the back muscles and hair and give everything a once over still....ahh...the long way of the PAPERCLIP....REMEMBER IT'S A WIP! THE SMUDGY BITS WILL BE GONE!

12 December 2005
Talking

Nice, P'clip! It's great to see you finally on the OFDW!

Keep going!!! Wow, that's really nice so far for such a short period of time...keep at it sister!

Cheers,

~Rk

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
You took a whole quark-time to reply?? Slowing down in our old age, are we?

Any anatomy crits?

12 December 2005
Talking

P'Clip,

LMKAOITS...

The first thing I would say is that she has no waist currently ~ the upper back / torso moves without transition into the pelvis / buttocks. When in doubt, elongate!

Even though the head is in shadow, establish its outlines with maybe a low opacity gray. It's really what sets the standard for the rest of the figure, so you want to establish it's rough size and shape quickly, even if you will eventually knock it back into shadow.

The left arm is biggish, but may look less so when the torso is tweaked. When you find that things are getting a bit off proportionally, just create a new layer and do a fast gesture sketch or quick drawing to reassess the proportions. Use it as a guide as you paint ~ you can always delete / turn off the layer as your proportions become more established.

The main bit here is to get the head established first.

Cheers,

~Rk

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
Hi All, here's my first WIP for this one...

Rebecca, glad you like the skelton poser is pretty good for art reference.

12 December 2005
Talking

drawMonger,

Completely beautiful. My only quibble at this point is that the top of her head looks too flat / there is not enough cranial mass up there. Otherwise, the lighting thus far is sublime ~ can't wait to see your next update!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
Thanks Rebecca! I can see what you mean about the head...will fix it in the next version.

12 December 2005
David's Daily Update:

~David René.

12 December 2005
Audit, Drawmonger,Corvax-Wooooo! Nice works!

Here is mine done in photoshop 7 about 30 mins....
It has that Craig Mullins brush stroke to it kind of lol.

and the small update where I left off late last night.

I got sidetracked because I was on the phone. I am still working on this. It is a challenge painting this freehand in photoshop
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Last edited by pushav : 12 December 2005 at 08:20 PM.

12 December 2005
drawMonger: Wow. That looks really good.

--

I had a really bad day today but luckily painting and browsing CGTalk never fails to cheer me up a little. This was originally meant to be a quick test of brushes and colours to get myself more used to using Painter, but I got carried away abit.

Last edited by TheDagger : 12 December 2005 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Changing image hosting.

12 December 2005
Talking

@Corvax,

Nice, keep it coming!

@pushav,

HOLY CRAP, IS THIS PUSHAV??? You're doing a fantastic job, my friend, keep up the good work!!

@TheDagger,

Really good start here! I think the values are starting to look nice in the second WIP, and the main thing I would recommend would be to tone down the texture and value of the background. Keep working on this and experimenting as you have been doing, and definitely post more WIP!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
Rebecca- I think that I am on a serious lucky streak. And painting on a dark background helps me see the color differently for some reason. This time I decided to paint on a larger canvas at about 80 dpi lol i know 80 then slowly up scale it and continue to paint it. I guess what Zhuzhu was telling me is starting to sink in after tons of freehand painting failures. the 007 workshop one turned out decent and now I wanted this one to be somewhat better. I will post aonther animated w.i.p. when I am done with it. Hope fully I can get the feet right. And yeah it is the same Pushav whose art you have grown to like somewhat now with 10% less spam lol. I should make a tutorial of one of theese one day when I get better at this method.

Thedagger-is the background the pallette knife in painter? Nice work so far.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

12 December 2005
Thanks Drawmonger! Maybe some time next week (if I can squeeze it in during finals) I'll try and redo my piece. It took me awhile to see what you were talking about. I know in theory the humerus comes out of the glenoid cavity that's under the acromion arch and not off the top of the arm. And I know that the femur comes out of the lower middle of the side of the pelvis and should make an indentation.

But regardless of what I know in theory I think I'm still off in practice. I can see how the angle of the elbow and arm seems to imply that it's hinging from the top and not nestled in like it's supposed to. I'm working on my critical eye. Anyhow, thanks a ton for the pose and explanation!

12 December 2005
Update:

*phev*... alright here is another update. I'm quite happy whit the way the feet turned out~ but the face .... well lets just say there is still a LOT of work to be done in that area .

~David René

Last edited by Corvax : 12 December 2005 at 02:24 AM.

12 December 2005
Talking

RoboMonkeyModule,

I've done a review of your piece which I hope helps to show you how to simplify things a bit:

Particularly in drawings where you are spending a short amount of time, you want to capture the essence, as we are doing in the 15 Minute Sketchathon. No matter the amount of time you spend on a piece, you always want to capture the essential action and movement of the pose.

The psychological tendency one has when going to do a 'drawing' is to think that details are required. Very little in the way of detail is needed to express the spirit of a pose. In fact, detail quite often impedes the expression of a pose, as the artist tends to focus on them in place of the overall gesture. Focus on GESTURE and BASIC STRUCTURE first.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread