Open Figure Drawing Workshop 008 with Hong Ly and Rebeccak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2005
Talking

David,

Thank you for the closeups! Just beautiful work.

I still think that the body is too short / small for the head. Here are a few tweak suggestions ~ and they are just that, suggestions, for tweaking the body to match the head:

Hope this helps improve your gorgeous work.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
Now it´s "only" the head left to paint.... As you can see I got inspired by Corvax colors for this one. Don´t master them as well as he does though - I have to practice What a delightful homework

http://sara.mallverkstan.net/CGtalk008.htm

SpiritDreamer - the one that caught my eye was the "Bear & buffalo". Those vivid colors and the movement is great! Well done!

Last edited by SaraD : 12 December 2005 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Wrong link

12 December 2005
Hi SaraD fantastic painting. your artwork seems very solid, all you put out is just beautiful.

I hope you don't mind me posting your image, it makes browsing a bit more easy. I'm still deeplinking form you site, so if its a bandwidth issue or you don't want it posted for some other reason just say the word and we'll take it down .

SaraD's work:

I think you should try making you curves (especially on the silhouette) abit more vibrant, you have allot of long smooth curves in you image right now, which would be grate for a more simplistic stile, but I think the level of realism you've taken your image to really calls for a more advance curvature. remember there are not alot of long curves on the human body ~ their more a composite of smaller curves making one long one. o0(sure hope that made any sense ).

I think you need to get alot more around whit your colors, take a close look ad your reference, notice the pale green in the midtones and the bounced light, notice how just before the highlight become that burned out yellow there is just a bit of pink and notice how the transition form light to dark sifts the colors from yellow to a rusty orange to a deep deep red then to magenta and violet and then back to red.

Your kinda working on a small slice of the color wheel, which can work sometimes, but why settle for a slice when there's a whole delicious pizza of colors out there. *mmhhh PIZZA!!*

12 December 2005
That´s soooo right on the spot, Corvax! I do have to practice my way of working with colors. I often (always?) use a very monocromatic colorscheme, and have to learn how to see all those colors that you so easily point out
Regarding to why I don´t post the pics is that I have some kind of restriction on the forum that only allows me a certain amount of Mbytes. Don´t know why - maybe it´s a membership-issue. So - feel free to post my images away

12 December 2005
SaraD: The space restriction is only for attachments that are stored on CGTalk's servers. You can post images from other sources without any restrictions. I see that you have your own site. Just click the insert image button when you are making a new post and type in the url. I personally host all my pics on my own website and have never used the attachment space provided by CGTalk. I think Rebecca wrote some instructions about this. And if I misunderstood what you mean and you knew all this already, my apologies.

And that pic of yours looks fantastic. I love how smoothly and accurately you can render all those shadows and highlights.

Corvax: I think I have only one word to say about your work: "Wow". Amazing job.

12 December 2005
Ah, is that how it works
Thanks Dagger!

12 December 2005
Hi
SaraD
That Bear and Buffalo, is one of my favorites also, something that was a common
ocurance not to long ago, but is now gone forever, and will never be witnessed by
by anyone, ever again, except in this painting . I created it from imagination, no
referances used, did it for Nebizels thread on this forum, to demonstrate the ryhem
of oposseing curves to create motion and action, the way Peter Paul Rubens used
to do in his action paintings, of people hunting exotic animals, great drama.
Anyway, it's yours, at cost of course, no profit wanted by me in your case.
would look great printed on canvas in the Giclee method. All the stuff I have
done in that method turnes out beautiful, looks just like oil paintings on canvas
Magic !.... e mail me if your interested.

About your latest painting, don't forget that dramatic lighting, is the key to it's
beauty, like that singer you have on your site, great painting by the way.
Let the form disapear into the imagination of the viewer, lets them participate
in the painting....One of the Old Masters secrets...Rembrant ect.
Take Care
Glenn

12 December 2005
Hi
Dave
Beautiful realism in this peice....you captured the mood and feeling that this pose
conveys perfectly... GREAT JOB.....

12 December 2005
hi hi!

phew, my term (trimester) has just finished and i've taken advantage by working on the figure painting most of the afternoon and evening... I took rk's advice of course and the soft round has been the brush of choice today, after trying with a stipple brush which didn't work out. I also changed the colours back to the greenish high-key by pulling most of the present colours from the photo, but maybe a bit of the old orange shows through...

yesterday:

today:

still under construction...would love to hear thoughts esp. regarding the modelling

-audit

12 December 2005
only one word comes to mind "Wauw" ~ beautiful audit.

The feet reminds me of Lucian Freud's paintings.

12 December 2005
corvax - thanks!! yeah i've spent quite some time on it now, so it's gratifying to see your post. i must return the compliment and say i very much admire your paintings too Freud you say!? ...hm well he wasn't in my mind at the time, more like 'dammit why are feet so complicated?!'

12 December 2005
Talking

audit,
Holy crap, what an amazing improvement! Great job so far, ESPECIALLY on the legs!! I agree with Dave, the feet do look exceptionally painterly and reminiscent of Freud. Excellent work there!!

The thing that I think needs your attention next is the area of the waist. She is sitting in a very contorted position ~ however, her waist would still be quite a bit thicker, as per your initial WIP, nonetheless. I would just take a step back to reevaluate that area. Make sure to save versions of your work and to back it up! No sense in losing all the great effort and work you've put into this so far!

Fantastic progress ~ the next challenge you face is to model the upper torso / back and head. Looking great so far! Really looking forward to your next update!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
David's Daily Update:

Okay so I need brake from that other pose, so I started on the second one:

~David René.

12 December 2005
RoboMonkey, here is a skeleton of the pose (done in poser)...

Some sugestions for you to consider:

.the ball and socket joint of the shoulder is nestled within the scapula. In your pic the joint seems to hinge above the scapula. Below is a better pic of what i mean (from Barcsay's 'Anatomy for the artist').

.the length of the humerus and the bones in the forearm should be similar.

.check the connection of the femur with the hip bone.

.perhaps make some more room for the rib cage.

HTH!

12 December 2005
Talking

drawMonger,
You so rock!!! This is a great idea! Thanks for posting this, it is of tremendous usefulnes...hmm, will have to get Poser, I think!

Thanks!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread