Open Figure Drawing Workshop 008 with Hong Ly and Rebeccak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2005   #31
WOW! Rebecca and Covax, simply stunning!!

Old 11 November 2005   #32
Originally Posted by SaraD:
David, this one is fab! I love the colors, and I think you did well on the hair I´ll pull out a chair and sneek over your shoulder as you finish this one.

~SaraD: Gee thanks don't really see the point of you trying to learn anything form me thou. I've seen your paintings and they are fare beyond mine . any news on the book~ did you make it to print?

Old 11 November 2005   #33

There are some funky effects on this due to scanning it and piecing it back together in Photoshop. In all, took me about an hour and a half which is the longest I've drawn one thing in one sitting for a couple weeks.

Old 12 December 2005   #34
Update:
Okay had 30 min. to spare so worked a bit on the back and her left arm. the highlight on the ribs is a bit of a headache , still needs alot of work .

~David René.

Old 12 December 2005   #35
Talking

David,

Beauuuuuuuuuuutiful!!

My one quibble is that I think her torso (rib cage / pelvis) looks a bit small for the head, arm, and leg. I'm not sure because I'm not looking at the Reference right now, but I think you could enlarge the back area quite a lot and the figure would be in better proportion. I'll definitely want to take a look at the Ref later and compare, but that is my basic sense of things at the moment. But WOW, really great work here...I'm very impressed!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #36
Hi RoboMonkeyModule, you've made a good effort to get the light and shade working in your piece. I would however, take a step back and study the human skeleton, having a good look at the shape of the bones of the limbs and how they join up with the rest of the body...this will make it much easier for you to approach the human figure.

Old 12 December 2005   #37
15 Minutes + change, Photoshop: (done for the 15 MS)

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #38
Didn´t think I would have the time to participate in this one, but - Dadaaaa! Time appeared from nowhere
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008a_001.jpg (32.7 KB, 32 views)

Old 12 December 2005   #39
Thanks Drawmonger - I have studied that a bit, but not as thoroughly as I probably should. I'm especially shaky on my limb bone anatomy and back musculature. Sometimes I lose the position of the scapula in all the bumpiness of the back.

Are there any specific errors that really stick out to you and if so, do you have time for a quick over-draw? If not, just pointing them out would be really helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by RoboMonkeyModule : 12 December 2005 at 05:57 PM.

Old 12 December 2005   #40
corvax - I keep coming back to this page of the thread like a magnetic needle just to watch your study again and again. and you know why, don't you...

Old 12 December 2005   #41
hi i have been working up my 15min sketch of one of these poses, as the grand-high rebeccak suggested :

sketch:

after a few hours

this is ongoing work so please, critique it!

Old 12 December 2005   #42
Talking

audit,

'Grand high', LMAO!

Looking really good so far! My suggestion for a next step is to start sampling colors ~ if you have your Paintbrush selected in Photoshop or Painter, alt + click on your screen in the area where you want to sample color, and your brush will temporarily become the eyedropper tool, and will sample the color in the area you click. Use a soft round brush (I like the Airbrush setting) and lower the Opacity to 25 ~ 50%. Then lightly brush over areas of transition from light to dark that you have already established, and start to soften interior edges.

The key thing is edge control. Softer edges will recede, sharper edges will come forward. You'll want to really work to control what pushes forward and what recedes into space through the manipulation of edge hardness / softness.

Looking forward to your update!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #43
thanks rebeccak! - that was exactly my thought for the next stage - to get rid of the painting by numbers element harhar

Old 12 December 2005   #44
Talking

audit,

Hehe, I start out the same way! It helps to establish the basic chunks of value...if it makes one's image temporarily look like a paint by number image, then so be it!

Cheers,

~Rk

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #45
David's Daily Update:

hmm.. I always get to a certain point in a painting were I tend to move around allot, correcting little areas, much more then making any sense and I think I reached that point now . But I didn't want to cheat you guys for an update, so here it is:

not a whole lot has happened form the last one but there are some small changes in there (for one I actually flipped the painting the right way this time *hehe*).
so to compensate for the lack of a "real" update you get some closeups of details.

The head actually came around really quick. I never have much trouble getting heads and hands right. I often struggle whit strange areas and its often detailed low contrast areas.

I really like this hand. There was allot of different colors in there and it did take quite a while, oddly enough the other hand I jazzed out in a couple of minuets.

~David René.

Thread Closed share thread