Open Figure Drawing Workshop 007 with Hong Ly and Rebeccak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2005
Thanks for the tip Corvax. I'll definately give it a try

11 November 2005
Hi Rebecca...

Hope your class was a great success!

We also have been on a sort of "break".
A week and a half ago our computer crashed -
(I guess all Glenn's typing burned up the hard drive.)

So I put in a new one, and we're back!

Anyway...We're back and got the pictures for this 007 Tutorial.

Glenn fell in love with the red head so he might be inspired to produce a nice painting.

Mrs Spirit Dreamer

11 November 2005
Talking

SpiritDreamers,

Was beginning to worry about you guys! Glad to see you back! Sorry for the HD failure, but glad things are back in order. Looking forward to your posts!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

11 November 2005
Hi Rebecca and Everyone
Finally able to paint again.
After two weeks of trying to figure out what broke the computer.
Fan and Hard Drive...What a pain!
Anyway.
Everyone's stuff is looking good and getting better.
Amazing to see the progress of everyone over such a short time.
Great!

Anyway here's my attempt.
Trying for a painterly look rather than photographic.
One fat oil brush in Painter 8 so far...round.
Trying to see how much detail can be created with it.
Kind of the way Rembrandt used single brush strokes to create objects.
I hope.
Will try for more detail now.
Just started this today.

Opinions and help always welcome and appreciated.

Nice to be back. Feels good!

Take care
Glenn

11 November 2005
DrawMonger
Nice job, really like the face, hope mine comes out that good.
Her hair could use some more work though, it's one of her prettiest
features. Really study the colors in it, there is probably six or seven
colors there, these are what make it shine and glow,and give it beauty,
and deapth. the same principle applies to her skin. Like Rebecca says, take it
a step further,it's the best way to learn, and improve. Done't be afraid to
experiment, just save your versions as you go along. That way you can't lose.
Really look forward to seeing your progress, on this one.
Take Care
Glenn

11 November 2005
Hi Glenn, thanks for the feedback...i appreciate all the help and advice i'm getting with this one and looking forward to posting an update soon.

I really like the free approach you've taken to get to your current version, to me it gives your piece a sense of spontaneity.

11 November 2005
Here's the new version with colour adjustments only...will do another round of refinement on hair and lower legs etc. To make the changes I...

1. flattened images and duplicated the background layer at 10% (all work is on the new layer).

2. created a mask of the bare skin areas and adjusted the highlights on the green channel via curves to add some green/yellow into the mix.

3. via adjustments satuated the whole area a little more and also tweaked levels.

4. added a solid color adjustment layer to the skin selection (orange) to help the skin fit in a little more with the hair colour (about 10%)

5. flattened image

6. i noticed Liepke uses bright pink in his skin tones so painted some of the skin values brght pink in color blend mode.

phew!

Last edited by drawMonger : 11 November 2005 at 02:19 PM.

11 November 2005
here is the earlier version with the current...

11 November 2005
~drawMonger:

Your doing good, the hands especially are really well done. but your values are still too bright -- skin is a lot darken then one would think.
take a look ad this little curve adjustment I made on you image see how much more vibrant you cant get if you darken your midtones a bit.

11 November 2005
Hi everyone,

let me say that I like all of the pics so far and try to take them as well as the feedback and comments as a quality guide line (esp. drawMonger's).

I am going for the second photo in my second round and find it much more challenging (or maybe I put more efforts in it, I don't know)...so I am going to throw in a progress snapshot, hoping for useful directions, or, to cut a long sentence short:
any feedback/hints/terrified yells are appreciated!

11 November 2005
Talking

SpiritDreamers,

Great to have you back! SD1 ~ watch the proportions of the head ~ looking a bit small at this point. I know you'll correct it as you go along.

drawMonger,

Nice update! I think that you're definitely going in the right direction with this. Having said that, I really like David's (Corvax's) comments re: adjusting the curves of the image. I think these are great comments! I would like to add to this discussion by noting the color temperature of sections of the models body ~ note how warm/orange/pink her shoulder area seems with respect to the cool/bluish green tones of her legs. Her face is cooler than her shoulders, with a bit of bluishness, but not nearly as cold as her legs are. If you look at your current image, all of the areas of the body have about the same color temperature. Try tweaking these areas (perhaps using blending modes only, at first) to vary the color temperature of various sections of the body.

David,

Thanks for all of your great comments! I think this is really useful!!

Mr. Mu,

Great to see your work here! What I always recommend, particularly those who are new to digital painting, is to do studies in grayscale.

Check out:

TUTORIAL - Digital Figurative Painting from OFDW - by Rebeccak

and

Stahlberg's Painting Tutorial

which both go into painting in Black and White FIRST before adding color information through the use of layers set with Blending Modes.

I always recommend filling the bkgrd with a neutral tone ~ not leaving it white, as values are all RELATIVE, and against a white bkgrd, your values of the figure will be thrown off.

Hope this helps, and look forward to seeing your update!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

11 November 2005
Drawmonger and SaraD, truly amazing stuff. Really inspiring. It makes me feel like a kid with crayons and construction paper

Here is my humble b/w submission. I slimmed the legs as was suggested and tried making the values more accurate in terms of their relations to one another. Once I got into shading, several errors in the intial gesture have begun to really stand out to me. So frustrating! But I think my shading skills are improving as I continue to get accustomed to my Wacom and the various brush settings in PS.

11 November 2005
Talking

Vidar3d,

Some tremendous progress here, it's very impressive! The main area I would suggest you work on to improve is the face ~ the body is nicely naturalistic, and the face has a bit of a wooden look to it ~ Try softening some of the features a bit ~ it's a tough thing to do, but really try to suggest that the features of the face ~ eyes, nose, lips ~ are not just sitting on top of the surface of the face, but are an integral part of it.

The upper part of the body is modeled beautifully ~ I would suggest softening the modeling / shading of the legs a bit to match the upper torso. Then I would work to get the foot to feel as though it were hitting flat against the floor.

Beautiful progress, and hope to see more!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

11 November 2005
Hi RebeccaK,

this is funny, because I was browsing Stahlbergs tutorial/progress yesterday and actually had started with grayscale - but my software does not (yet) have a color mode in the layer's options

But as you suggested, I will redo the drawing in grayscale - the colors were driving me mad anyway, like you mentioned: the difference in warmth between face/torso/legs.

*sharpens his tablet pen*
*realizes it's broken now*
*sighs*

11 November 2005
Talking

Mr. Mu,

LOL ~ re: pen! No worries about the color thang, personally, I think it's a good idea to spend a lot of time practicing in b/w only first.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread