Open Figure Drawing Workshop 007 with Hong Ly and Rebeccak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2005   #31
Talking

Vidar3d,

Nice progress here! Nice basic blocking in with your values, and I think the hard work of fine tuning / refining those value relationships and the drawing itself is next on the agenda. It's great that you've kept the rendering for the entire body at the same level. It's a good idea to bring everything up at once / work the painting as a whole. I think the thing you should look out for is making the legs too big (thick) for the body / head. Additionally, I would recommend sketching in the arm that you can't see ~ just guess at it's shape. This will help with the placement of the hand eventually.

Great stuff! Look forward to seeing your next update.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #32
RedRaven

Well here is my try, worked on it for about 5 hours, which is pretty long for me. I am bad keeping focused that long. Keep jumping on the video games too much!

Old 11 November 2005   #33
Talking

Dark3D,

Wow, I think this is one of the nicest pieces of yours I've seen so far! Really beautiful work, I wish that you would do more extended pieces like this! You've really nailed the expression in the face...the legs are a bit more sketchy, and a bit short / thin ~ but the upper half of the torso is killer. Nice work on the fan, as well...not diggin' the tree as much, but overall this is a really great piece! Hope to see more of your work along this line!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #34
The finished piece is now on display

http://sara.mallverkstan.net/CGtalk007.htm

C&C as much as you can!

Old 11 November 2005   #35
Hi All, loved the pose for this one...

Great work all (as always)
Dark3D

Old 11 November 2005   #36
here's some WIP images

Old 11 November 2005   #37
Talking

SaraD,

Nice! I think the legs look just a bit short / small for the upper body. Watch also the axis of the head in relationship to the axis of the body ~ it looks perhaps a bit off / tilted to the left side of the picture plane. It may look different when hair is added, but probably best to adjust before adding hair. As usual, your rendering is beautiful! Any chance you will be working any more on this?

drawMonger,

Nice! You've really captured the face and the overall pose quite well. I think it just remains to refine the body, making sure not to make the legs too small. Overall, really cool so far, and thanks for including the progress sequence! That is always cool to see.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #38
Thanks Rebecca, here is the next version...fixed the legs and refined the body and hair.

SaraD...i love what you've done! it looks like a 3D rendering!!

Old 11 November 2005   #39
Talking

drawMonger,

Wow, this is really coming along great! The improved legs make this look sooo much better! Nice work!! I would say the next step is to really get the colors to sing together ~ right now, she really looks a bit pasty ~ and her skin is in reality super light ~ so the trick will be to give her skin a luminescence without making her look like a ghost. Ever seen the paintings of Malcom "Skip" Liepke? I'm not suggesting you imitate his style, but take a look at his color combinations ~ he's great at combining muted reds and greens.

Great stuff so far!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #40
Started working in the 007 series. This is a wip of the face.

::Flemish Classical Atelier::
Art residencies:: Intensive Drawing and Painting workshops
in Brugge, Belgium

Old 11 November 2005   #41
Talking

Nice job with the body so far, Queenie! The problem with the face is in the alignment of the eyes. On a separate layer above your existing layers, draw parallel lines representing the axes of the eyes, base of the nose, lips, chin, and the top of the forehead as well. All of thes lines should be parallel. The midline of the face should be perpendicular to these lines.

Nice thing about PS ~ you can copy + merge and paste.

Great to see you back in the OFDWs!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #42
Thanks Rebecca! I really value your feedback.

I love Liepke's work...i agree his colour combinations are sublime

Teaking the colour of this one will be a real challenge...but i'm up for it

Old 11 November 2005   #43
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Nice job with the body so far, Queenie! The problem with the face is in the alignment of the eyes. On a separate layer above your existing layers, draw parallel lines representing the axes of the eyes, base of the nose, lips, chin, and the top of the forehead as well. All of thes lines should be parallel. The midline of the face should be perpendicular to these lines.

Nice thing about PS ~ you can copy + merge and paste.

Great to see you back in the OFDWs!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Good eye, my lady. Glad you found out before I went too far. Will take a look at it again.
Thanks a bunch

::Flemish Classical Atelier::
Art residencies:: Intensive Drawing and Painting workshops
in Brugge, Belgium

Old 11 November 2005   #44
Talking

drawMonger,

No problem, thanks! Try using color layers with Blending Modes...that should do the trick, so long as your work is subtle.

Queenie,

No prob! Anytime.

Cheers,

~Rk

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #45
~drawMonger: I had the exact same issue a while ago, my highlights looked milky and desaturated, what really pushed me over the edge was when I picked up a book on color theory.

here's what I learned:

Take a look ad the image below its a chart of hue (horizontal) and value (vertical), what I want to look ad is how those two color variables combined effect the 3rd - saturation, notice that some hues look more saturated at different values -- yellows and turquoises look more saturated at light values and that blues and reds look more saturated at dark values.

You can incorporate this into your painting by (VERY lightly) toning your highlights towards yellow or turquoise (turquoise tends to work best, it makes the skin look warmer) --funny thing is when you look ad human skin it has that bit of blueish highlight.
Also try adding a bit of green to your darkest shadows -- that's gonna giver you a nice set of complementary colors.

its not the end all be all of working out your issue but this little peace of information did get me a long way.

hope it helped.

--cheers David René.

Thread Closed share thread