Open Figure Drawing Workshop 007 with Hong Ly and Rebeccak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2005   #1
Arrow Open Figure Drawing Workshop 007 with Hong Ly and Rebeccak

NOW OPEN!!! OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 007!!!

Welcome to the SEVENTH thread of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop!!!

>>>Click HERE for Hong Ly's Website<<<

>>RULES FOR THE THREADS<<

1. Photographs are the property of Hong Ly and are copyrighted as such.

2. Photographs are NOT to be used for ANY other purpose apart from Figurative Drawing Reference for this thread on CGTalk.

3. The drawings created from the photo reference provided here MUST be TASTEFUL, SINCERE, RESPECTFUL, and for the purpose of serious study of the human figure. Those who post silly, disrespectful, or tasteless work will have their posts deleted immediately
and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Hong Ly, Rebecca Kimmel, and Roberto Ortiz reserve the right to determine which drawings are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful to the model/s, who have generously agreed to allow their images to be used on the condition that they be used for the tasteful and serious study of Figurative Art only.

4. There is NO TIME LIMIT for posting on this thread.

5. New threads containing new photographs will be posted on a bi-weekly basis, depending on the number of photographs available.

6. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only your BEST WORK, even if it is considered unfinished.

7. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

8. I will be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads should be on Group Critique and interaction.

9. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Gestural, Sketch, Finished Render, etc.

EDIT: 3D Artists who wish to use the reference for 3D models are free to do so. I just ask that you post your work here as well as in any 3D forum in which you post your work.

11. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 800 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please!

12. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art!

LINKS to Photographs: WARNING: (Slight) Nudity:

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 1 ~ Female, Costumed

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 2 ~ Female, Costumed

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 3 ~ Female, Costumed

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 4 ~ Female, Costumed

PLEASE NOTE: WIP (Work In Progress) images are an important part of the OFDWs and are encouraged. Please DO post WIP images as you work on your pieces.

Also note that all previous OFDWs are listed in Post #3 here:
Tutorials, Workshops, Anatomy Reviews & More ... [links within]

Good luck!

~Rebeccak and Hong Ly

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 11 November 2005 at 04:41 AM.

Old 11 November 2005   #2
Finally...!!

I've sitting in front of the computer constantly refreshing the forums waiting for the next OFDW... *hehe*

I'll get right on it.

thanks a lot to Rebeccak and Hong Ly for organicing this and making the photos available.

cheers David René.

Old 11 November 2005   #3
Talking

David René,

Sorry for that! Heh, I think I accidentally missed a week there ~! So OFDW 006 was extended a week longer than it should have been, but I'll try not miss any more.

Looking forward to seeing your posts!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #4
Talking

I´m gonna get right to it. As soon as all the work piling up at my desk allowes it ... C´ya!

Old 11 November 2005   #5
Hi there,

I am a beginner (actually, I am what we in german call a "bloody beginner"), and as such highly interested in figure drawing. But I wonder:

Are the workshops considered to be taken part in one after another?

That is, should I do the tasks of the previous workshops before I have a go (and after desperate labourious attempts finally fail) at these tasks?

Old 11 November 2005   #6
Originally Posted by Mr. Mu: Are the workshops considered to be taken part in one after another?

That is, should I do the tasks of the previous workshops before I have a go (and after desperate labourious attempts finally fail) at these tasks?

You don't have to do any drawing for the previous workshops. You can start right here right now. Of course, if you want, you can do the previous workshops too, as they will remain open, but most of us will concentrate on this new one meaning that most of the activity will be here.

Btw, I'm definetely going to take part in this workshop. I can't resist something that has double-oh seven in it.

Old 11 November 2005   #7
I'll definitely take part in this one also!

Old 11 November 2005   #8
Talking

SaraD,

WooHoo! Can't wait to see your work!

Mr. Mu,

You're free to jump right into this (or the latest one) whenever! We'd be glad to have you!

TheDagger,

LOL ~ 007 indeed! I should have included a graphic of Bond...James Bond... Thanks for the helpful info!

Metrini,

Alright! Welcome aboard!

Cheers guys,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 11 November 2005   #9
Woot...this was a good warm up today. Took about an hour edit: oh yeah also I didn't want to detail the face, i like the ambiguety and impersonalness of it without it *end edit
Unfortunately this didn't scan very well!!!...uped contrast in ps so you could see it....but... well if anyone has any suggestions for scanning better please let me know.

Old 11 November 2005   #10
Starting out. Going for the same metallic, clean look as I did with the muscular man in challenge 004. I know I said I would see the whole picture, and I almost did... I just "missed" the part of ther body that has clothes on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007_001.jpg (41.6 KB, 68 views)

Old 11 November 2005   #11
had a bit of time for lunch so I thought I would have a go at this one.

about an hour spent on this so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lady with fan2 copy.jpg (69.0 KB, 82 views)

Old 11 November 2005   #12
Hi everyone,

I actually did not *want* to render the (beautiful) model in such an ugly way. It is due to my lack of skills. Any hints on how to make it better will not be "written into water", as we say...

I added the gesture sketch, too, in case there's a mistake I do at an early stage which has to be worked on.

here's mine:

gesture sketch:

Old 11 November 2005   #13
Just sketching and experimenting a little. I think I might try painting the same pic next but with the light source in different position so that I can't rely on the reference picture completely. I'll probably fail miserably but I got to try that tomorrow.

Hmm.. and I really should fix those legs now that I look at them. lol

Old 11 November 2005   #14
dagger - wow that looks beautiful

Old 11 November 2005   #15
wow this are really hard, the high contrast between the dark cloth and the pale skin makes it very defficult to pick out values.

well here is my first pass, abit rough but it'll have to do for now.

Its drawn on brown super grainy kardus papir whit graphite and hightlighted whit white chalk.
I might have gone abit over board whit the highlights on the forarm and face *hehe*.

--Cheers David René.

Thread Closed share thread