NOW OPEN!!! OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 006 with Ron Eyre and Rebecca Kimmel!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2005
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Well, couldn't resist at least starting a drawing for this OFDW...it's been a while for me posting work, so guilt had start to set in. At any rate, this is just a beginning, but it was refreshing to work traditionally...there are definite benefits vs. digital, and vice versa.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

oooh yeh,now i remember why i admire rebecca..almost forgot why i bother with her sumtimes...

10 October 2005
Talking

Quote: oooh yeh,now i remember why i admire rebecca..almost forgot why i bother with her sumtimes...

ROFL...very funny, NOOBEDLY NOOB! What would I be without a tag team of hecklers to make me grow gray hair prematurely and shorten my life? Nothing, I say! Yeah, we love ya, too.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
lol.for some reason the word premature makes me shudder...

what type of paper are you using there Ms Kimmel? it looks bumpyfied/granified,probably better for charcoal,i needs some...

10 October 2005
Talking

NOOB,

It's just regular old newsprint (rough textured ~ can't get smooth any longer) ~ I added a bit of a Photoshoppe texture to hide some of the imperfections of the digital picture.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Talking

Quote: This is a "What to do while you should be doing something else" study. Only about 30mins on this one, with lots to improve on, obviously. More time on this and I might be able to bring out something worthwhile!
Sorry Rebecca, couldn't resist the urge!

Martin, only just now saw your sketch! Not at all, I think it's great to see you doing the OFDWs! It's nice to see you carrying over the technique to figure drawing / painting...I'm sure were you to give all of your attention to this, you would produce a beautiful piece! Definitely looking forward to your participating in future OFDWs!

Quote: Rebecca, there's a wonderful fluid and alive quality to your sketch...this is the type of thing that i'd like to achieve in my drawings -- you make it look so easy (pushav, I can relate to -> ).

Did you use charcoal or pencil and on what size paper?

drawMonger, just saw your post as well! Thank you! It's the typical charcoal pencil which I use ~ this post in the Life Drawing thread shows the materials which both Pixel Colada and I use (it's what they taught us in school, I know no different!) and have stuck with ever since. I'm working on rough newsprint, 18" x 24" on an easel. May as well take a picture to show you...will post that soon.

Here's my setup ~ nothing special, just folding easel + newsprint.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 10 October 2005 at 04:03 PM.

10 October 2005
Digital camera?! Hmmmmm. I would try it but i dont feel like installing the software on my computer lol. I used to have and easel but I dislike them. Flat surfaces for me like at dinner table.
Nice work all keep it up.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Last edited by pushav : 10 October 2005 at 04:14 PM.

10 October 2005
Ugh..painting realistically..what a pain

RebeccaK

Nice flowy, controlled lines you got there. You brought out most of the flesh and bones by using simple strokes/shading.

Erliaz

Great start, we could actually see the tonal values and the form. I'd suggest using a pen/charcoal (or any dry media) to further emphasize the figure by building over what you already have.

And as for myself, I am still struggling with the human skin. Might as well give it a shot, so here are the WIP pics of Ron:

Painter8-digital oils

Still experimenting and figuring out how to use painter 8...any help/tips/suggestions/critiques are always welcomed.

Last edited by Nigh7shad3 : 10 October 2005 at 08:29 PM.

10 October 2005
Talking

Nigh7shad3,

Hey, good to see your progress! You can paste the URL of your Photobucket images into the little mountain / sun icon in the text editor which you can get back to by clicking "Edit Post" in your post window. That way, folks can see your images without clicking on a link.

I actually recommend trying the approach Martin / erilaz is using, which is to use only grayscale values at first to build form. It's a great approach, and limits the set of factors with which you have to contend when digitally painting. Steven Stahlberg has a great tutorial on his website which outlines this method of painting. I definitely recommend checking it out!

Also, you may want to check out this demo I put together for a value study piece I did for OFDW 002:
TUTORIAL - Digital Figurative Painting from OFDW - by Rebeccak.

Samanthie did an incredible COLOR digital painting tutorial here:
TUTORIAL - Digital Figure Painting - by Samanthie

Hope these provide some useful information which you can then continue to use in your piece!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Originally Posted by pushav: Digital camera?! Hmmmmm. I would try it but i dont feel like installing the software on my computer lol. I used to have and easel but I dislike them. Flat surfaces for me like at dinner table.
Nice work all keep it up.

the reason people that draw with big paper have easels is because if ur where to draw at a desk ur pic would become distorted.

10 October 2005
Originally Posted by NOOB!: the reason people that draw with big paper have easels is because if ur where to draw at a desk ur pic would become distorted.

Maybe lol maybe. I like to tower over my work. I dont see how people use easels. It feels weird.
I work better on a smaller paper large as I go is 11 by 14 but that becomes costly depending on the timing.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

10 October 2005
Thanks for the warm welcome, the helpful suggestions, and for the link to your WIP. As you requested, a bit about me: I am an Art Director for a specialty printing company in the Pacific Northwest. We specialize in providing labeling and branding for the wine industry. I graduated from college a few years ago with a degree in computer animation. Turned out I didn't like it all that well once I had to start doing it for a living. I am hoping to get into more illustration and have worked recently doing some freelance storyboards. (fun stuff). Anyway I am hoping to use this form to sharpen and expand my skills as well as get a chance to get some inspiration from the other excellent posts of the other participants.

My latest attempts, I didn't make it too much past catching the gesture but did start laying down some values as per your suggestion.

10 October 2005
Talking

Vidar3d,

You're welcome! It's always nice to have new folks aboard, especially those who really are enthusiastic about the OFDWs!

Yep, I definitely think you are on the right track here...lots of digital artists / illustrators work this way, with black / white first in Photoshop and/or Painter, and then creating color later thru use of the Blending Modes in Photoshop. It definitely simplifies the process of digital painting, and allows artists to focus on what is truly important in a painting, which is building form thru areas of light and dark. The key thing to remember with value is that all value is relative ~ put the same gray next to a lighter or darker value, and it will appear differently. Constructing paintings through value is a bit like putting a puzzle together. Your values must interlock in order to make sense to the viewer.

Enough rambling. I recommend using a Soft Round brush (it looks like you're using a Hard Brush, more difficult to blend) at a low opacity and flow setting (like 50% each). Remember that you can also use your smudge and blur tools to blend values together (so long as you are working on a flattened layer ~ though you may want to copy merge and paste your work to a new layer to preserve your layers up to that point).

Looks good! Looking forward to seeing more updates. Thanks for telling us about yourself, too.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Hi Rebecca, thanks for showing the materials you use. I'm starting a local life drawing group (16 Nov is our first gathering) so needed to get the low-down on materials...you and everyone here are inspirational....can't wait for OFDW 007

10 October 2005
Here is my study:

IMDb

10 October 2005
Hi, everyone!

I don't get much time these days to say much about the work being produced in these Workshops, but I have to say I'm amazed at the quality of the work here! It's a real eye-opener for me as the model! (lol). Do you really HAVE to paint everything you see? ..... all those wrinkles! Durrrrrrrrrr!! Can't you use a little 'artistic licence' ....... and leave out some of those wrinkles? LOL! This is a very revealing experience for me!

I find this work all the more incredible - now that I'm becoming more familiar with these workshops - on realizing that all the work is being done using a MOUSE! I HAVE tried using the mouse to draw and paint on the screen, but I just HAVEN'T the same control as when using a pencil or a brush where I can rest the side of my hand on the paper and move and bend my fingers. I have used an easel a lot during my career, where I have no support for my arm - but even there - I control the fine manoeuvrings for fine detail using some movement of my fingers. For me this is a whole new ball-game! I have to admit that I do NOT have the facility of 'Photoshop'! I DO have 'Coral Paint' where there are extensive facilities for drawing and painting 'on screen'. There is a lot here I have not fathomed out yet, but I HAVE tried to draw using the mouse. I felt so handicapped with only being able to use my wrist and arm. With finer detail my movements were jurky.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying viewing the progression of your work, and am truely pleased - and humbled - seeing my efforts as a model being put to such good use. I'm on a learning curve here myself ..... being on the 'other' side of the canvass! Well done, all of you!

Thread Closed share thread