NOW OPEN!!! OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 006 with Ron Eyre and Rebecca Kimmel!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2005   #46
Talking

drawMonger,

You're welcome! Keep up the good work! Would you mind adding this link to the Favorite Figurative Artists thread?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #47
Originally Posted by rebeccak: Would you mind adding this link to the Favorite Figurative Artists thread?

Done! Thanks for the link!!

Old 10 October 2005   #48
Hello everybody, I'm new to CGtalk (Just registered ). Chanced upon this workshop thread and figured to give it a go...still have a lot to learn. Great work here, alot of amazing talents.

My first try, 20mins, chalk/charcoal on black. Painter 8

Old 10 October 2005   #49
Hi Rebecca
Trying something different this time and new for me.
Going to keep it in Black and White.
Using water color brushes, Painter 8.
#1 sharp edges all over
#2 starting to soften up edges on shadow side
Want to see what these brushes are capable of.
We'll see how far I can refine it without ruining it.
Take care
Glenn

Old 10 October 2005   #50
Talking

seth1,

Missed your post, great to see you back! I think you have some interesting areas of drawing in your piece, but need to focus on getting the overall lay~in (rough drawing / proportions) established before going in and focusing on details. What you are missing is the big picture, which you need to really nail down first. For example, the arm is rather long, and the lower torso / pelvis too small relative to his upper torso / chest / back. But the actual drawing style is quite nice, so I would just recommend reconsidering the proportions of the piece. Hope to see further work on this!

Vidar3d,

My apologies, I missed your post earlier as well! Welcome to the Anatomy Forum! I think you have well established the basics of the figure here. What I would recommend your doing is to fill the bkgrd with a mid~gray, and working the lights and darks gradually in successive layers on top. A piece like this is really all about the tweaking of value relationships.

Check out this Tutorial, or Demo, rather, which I put together from a piece which I did for the OFDW 002: TUTORIAL - Digital Figurative Painting from OFDW - by Rebeccak.You will find that what I most emphasize to people is VALUE relationships ~ it's the basis of all good drawing and particularly painting.

Hope to see further progress on your piece! Also, let us know something about yourself / bkgrd / training, etc.

DrawMonger,

Thanks for posting all of those great links! I checked them all out briefly, and will definitely go back to peruse them more thoroughly later on!

Nigh7shad3,

Welcome to the Anatomy Forum as well! You've got quite a nice and interesting start here, but you may have to invert this piece if you want to start to bring up values, as currently your outer line is light, and the interior dark. This is a nice effect, but if you plan to build up values, it may present a problem for you. It would be nice to know a bit about your background and training.

SpiritDreamers,

Great to see you guys back in full force! I think you've got a nice start here, and have established the proportions very well. I think it would be nice if you developed this piece along the lines of a classical sculpture, as Ron really has a physique which is condusive to that kind of piece. Try to really make the forms feel as dimensional as you can without going over the top. I look forward to seeing how this piece develops!

Great to see so much good work happening!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #51
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

RebeccaK, I had an art teacher who told me that it takes two people to make art: One person to make the art and one person to hit the artist over the head and tell him or her when it's done. I'm enjoying taking a more painterly approach to this workshop and I hope I can restrain myself from over-working the piece. Thanks for the suggestion--I'm saving a new file after any major edits, so I can revisit past versions if I need to.

I agree that Ron is a very nice model, and there's a lot of diversity and good work on this thread as a result.

Corvax, I really love the texture of the wrinkled skin pulling up around the abdomen on your finished piece. It's really nice.

I was out of town part of this week on a business trip, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on my painting. I've been focusing on the face, and cropped a close-up for my next WIP post.

Old 10 October 2005   #52
Talking

SevenMars,

Lol, thanks for that quote! I think you're doing a really nice job with this ~ nice progress so far! I would caution you not to go too light / too pasty on the skintones too soon ~ you would be surprised how dark even light appearing skin can be in places. Reserve your whitest whites for pure highlight ~ everything else should be (in terms of value) a midtone gray or a dark.

I would also encourage you to start to blend some of the areas here. I like that you've kept a limited pallette, which is enabling you to see and isolate the different areas of light and dark. Keep working! You are definitely making progress, and it's great to see your update!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #53
Thanks for the critique, Rebeccak. That's exactly what I need to keep me motivated
Alot of interesting interpretation and approach trying to capture Ron here. SevenMars, I like your WIP-looks like you got most of the stuff down and I agree about overdoing an artwork lol

A lil bit about myself: Recently graduated from Limkokwing University here in Malaysia, with a diploma in classical animation. Planning to apply to the Academy of Art in San Fran..taking the BFA course in animation and visual effects. We had life drawing classes back in college but somehow I feel that the emphasis on figure drawing was lacking. Good thing our lecturer introduced us to Glen Vilppu's work during our final semester though-which is why I've decided to join this amazing online workshop. Looking forward to making new friends along the way too

Here's a ''touched-up'' version of my previous drawing. Added some monochromatic hues and refined the form of Ron's face.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b...anportrait2.jpg

Old 10 October 2005   #54
Talking

Well, couldn't resist at least starting a drawing for this OFDW...it's been a while for me posting work, so guilt had start to set in. At any rate, this is just a beginning, but it was refreshing to work traditionally...there are definite benefits vs. digital, and vice versa.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 10 October 2005 at 08:26 PM.

Old 10 October 2005   #55
Talking

Nigh7shad3,

Nice to hear more about your background! Good luck with your school plans, and let us know what happens.

It's good to see your update! I think you ought to go for more of a realistic approach, using realistic colors ~ I think you will get more out of the Workshop that way, but of course, style is totally up to you. Hope to see more updates soon!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #56
Talking

Hi all... thanks to Ron for these pictures, I'd actually been wondering if I could request an older model at some point, much as I like the smooth skin of the younger models, there is something wonderful about the texture of older skin, the way it fits over muscles and veins and its translucency. I've always loved the way old masters painted older skin, the elements of blues and greens they used. So naturallyI jumped at this thread! I'd love to do an oil study of one of those poses eventually but work and time in general fights me at the moment, but I have both images on my harddrive, for future reference!

And here's my current effort. I'm trying to work on the bits of the body I have weakness in, mainly the leg (thigh in particular) and the forearm. I'm working on a cheapo sketch pad with an h and hb pencil, as thats all I currently have at my disposal (being at work).

Zephyri,

Somehow, I missed your post ~ beautiful work! I agree with you completely about older models and oil paintings by old masters ~ are you a fan of Zurbaran? I think you would really love his work.

Here is an example of Zurbaran's work:

http://www.artunframed.com/images/compressed8/zurbaran565.jpg

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #57
Rebecca-How do you get your tonal sketches to scan so clean or are you using a digital camera. Evertime I scan my tonal drawing, they come out looking bad. What am I doing wrong. I am scanning at 300 dpi and it still looks bad. Even on britsol
Teach me your magics. Yeah magics

I should join in on this one maybe.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Old 10 October 2005   #58
Talking

pushav,

I use a digital camera (a Canon Power Shot SD200 Digital Elph), then in Photoshop, tweak the levels, use the dodge tool, adjust Brightness / Contrast etc. in addition to adding a color layer and playing with the Blending Modes. It's the only way I can get a 'clean' image ~ and even then it's not all that clean. I usually end up shooting pics in my kitchen, as it's the only place I have fluorescent + incandescent light. I still end up with kinda crappy shots sometimes, but thank goodness for the magic of your friend and mine, PS.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #59
This is a "What to do while you should be doing something else" study. Only about 30mins on this one, with lots to improve on, obviously. More time on this and I might be able to bring out something worthwhile!
Sorry Rebecca, couldn't resist the urge!

Old 10 October 2005   #60
Rebecca, there's a wonderful fluid and alive quality to your sketch...this is the type of thing that i'd like to achieve in my drawings -- you make it look so easy (pushav, I can relate to -> ).

Did you use charcoal or pencil and on what size paper?

Cheers!

and erilaz! stop studying and draw

Last edited by drawMonger : 10 October 2005 at 02:10 PM.

Thread Closed share thread