NOW OPEN!!! OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 006 with Ron Eyre and Rebecca Kimmel!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2005   #31
update..

Old 10 October 2005   #32
Talking

Corvax,

This is really becoming an exceptional piece. The mood of the model is nearly palpable ~ excellent job with really bringing this pose to life!

Will you be working on the figure in it's entirety, or cropping it as a portrait? I think the portrait is quite strong ~ it's of course up to you.

Great work so far ~ I recommend saving this version, then creating a copy, and seeing how far in terms of rendering you can push the copy without losing the liveliness of the brushstrokes.

Looking forward to seeing how far you can take this!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #33
Lots of lines...

Corvax Corvax Corvax

Old 10 October 2005   #34
Talking

drawMonger,

Nice!! He needs more of a waist...currently there is little space between the bottom of his last rib and the top of his pelvis...take a look at the reference closely, and notice that his waist should be more defined. I really like the linework!! It's working really well for you ~ can't wait to see more!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #35
I'm sorry to say I haven't reviewed the rest of the thread, but I'm looking forward to spending some time looking at everyone's work.

Work in progress, just blocking out the painting and getting a feel for the colors and mood. The PSD file is actually 2000x1200 pixels, but I cropped it down to 800x600 for easy viewing purposes. I just realized I forgot to flip it back before saving. Oops.

Appx. 2hrs, Adobe PS7 and Wacom Graphire.

Old 10 October 2005   #36
Talking

SevenMars,

It's great to see your work here! I think you have a really great start...there is such a nice mood to this piece ~ I think Ron is a really good model who has done a lot to inspire folks here.

I think the challenge for you will be to take this to the next level in terms of rendering without losing the basic atmosphere which you have so nicely established. Make sure to save versions of your file so that you can go back to a previous version if you so desire.

Nice work so far! Looking forward to seeing your next post. Definitely check out the other posts...some very nice work is in this thread already.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #37
Wink

Originally Posted by Skurai: Sweet zhuzhu, I just downloaded artweaver but when I try to draw, wel... It's not working, I can't even use the fill tool.
Do you think you know why that is?
Thanks!

Artweaver maybe a little bit instability, i don't know why as you said,hope they will do some better update. in Artweaver, i used charcoal pencil brush for those sketchs.you can also do this in Painter,it is the same thing.

Old 10 October 2005   #38
Hi Rebecca, shame about my last picture...it's such a waist
Hope this one is better...

Thanks again for taking the time to help me to improve my work

Old 10 October 2005   #39
The proses so far and an update ... all in only one post phew .

Update: worked a bit on the lights and darks and im starting to paint in all the little details, still a long way to go and I'm noticing some proportional issues

Old 10 October 2005   #40
And done!!

Old 10 October 2005   #41
Talking

Drawmonger,

MUCH better! Not a waist at all ~ or, what a waist!

Corvax,

WOW!!! Really nice work here! It's really great how you have captured all of the wrinkles and details of the model ~ excellent work!!!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #42
I love the photos! Many thanks to Ron Eyre. I can't wait to get started on this session. Unfortunately, I'm crazily busy this week (again) and won't manage to get too much done before the weekend but I thought I'd drop in quickly and add a couple of comments for the last couple of pics

Corvax Looks fabulous! The way you rendered the details such as the wrinkles on the chest is great. Very nice work! I have to admit that I prefer the sketchy version though - not because it's better, just because I love that sort of artistic style. The only crit I have is perhaps the shading on his left forearm seems a little off as well as on the collar bone but those are minor things. Overall, it looks fantastic

drawMonger Looking very good! Is that pen and ink or digital? It's so hard to tell sometimes. As I mentioned above, I like that sketchy style a lot and it's working nicely for you. The hands look great, especially the lower one. I agree with Rebecca on the waist though - it could still be a little short.

SevenMars I know it's a WIP but nice painterly style and great lighting so far! I look forward to seeing your progress. It seems you've already nicely captured the essence of Ron's face.

Old 10 October 2005   #43
zhuzhu: ALlways seem to impress me with your digital work....

Fixed The left side of the guy! Will scan when some guy gets off the comp...
1 hour sketch! Meh! Lots of things i could of done better and should of! THink ill do it again... 3B pencil....
http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/...udy1hour9ns.jpg

Last edited by seth1 : 10 October 2005 at 05:37 AM.

Old 10 October 2005   #44
Quick Sketch Just to Get Started

Hey guys. I haven't been around cgtalk much lately and was excited when I came across this new forum. Super talented work! Amazing to see all of the different styles and interpretations of the same reference. Anyways, I am a bit rusty with life drawing but figured I had better take the plunge and post something. This was a 10 minute gesture sketch on a Wacom in PS 7. I am going to try the other reference tomorrow.

Old 10 October 2005   #45
Thanks Amerasu and Rebecca for the great feedback. I really admire the pen drawings from the golden age of illustration (esp. Willy Pogany and W. Heath Robinson)...so really like practicing this style.

Amerasu, this is done in photoshop...although i do like the pen brush in painter a lot too.

edit: How can i forget! my favourite pen artist is Heinrich Kley http://www.bpib.com/illustrat/kley.htm
(warning: Bud Plant's site is addictive)

Last edited by drawMonger : 10 October 2005 at 08:19 AM.

Thread Closed share thread