NOW OPEN!!! OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 006 with Ron Eyre and Rebecca Kimmel!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2005
Missed the last OFDW but im back in the sattle now.

I was kinda inspired by some chalk studies by Michelangelo I saw in Haarlem (Holland), and wanted to make something similar. I'm nowhere close to the level of his drawings but I wasn't expecting as much . the feet look awfull I know that.

10 October 2005
Talking

Corvax,

Nice work! I can see the influence, particularly in his left hand...really nice work there! I agree that the feet need work, as well as the upper back near the base of the neck. Will you be working on this further?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Originally Posted by zhuzhu: Thanks Rebeccak and Ron~~~!

ha ha, i am the first post this time~~~

sketch in Artweaver:

Sweet zhuzhu, I just downloaded artweaver but when I try to draw, wel... It's not working, I can't even use the fill tool.
Do you think you know why that is?
Thanks!

10 October 2005
Hi All, this is a quick sketch in photoshop

top stuff Zhuzhu!

10 October 2005
Talking

drawMonger,

I really like how you're always using a different style ~ it's quite interesting to see! I would say on this piece to add something more / lower his pelvis a bit. Currently it seems he lacks something of a waist. But your line quality and the upper torso are quite nice! Can't wait to see where you go with this!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Thanks Rebecca! I can see what you're saying about the waist...i'll try and fix it.

Cheers

10 October 2005
Talking

drawMonger,

No prob! Look forward to seeing where you go with this...I don't think you would want to blend it too much, but you might need to add lots and lots of additional layers of strokes / cross~hatching to really build up form. Which would look really cool!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Originally Posted by Corvax: I was kinda inspired by some chalk studies by Michelangelo I saw in Haarlem (Holland), and wanted to make something similar. I'm nowhere close to the level of his drawings but I wasn't expecting as much

I know how that feels!
I went to the Teylersmuseum two weeks ago and I have a lecture with guided tour booked for tomorrow!

It's a shame the Teylersmiuseum didn't put up any English pages on the special Michelangelo website. It's quite informatove about the techniques he used. Based on that, I thought I'd try red & black chalk. Still needs a lot of work.
(Painter, about 2 hours)

10 October 2005
allright started on the second pose. im stil working on it.

10 October 2005
Talking

Margie,

Great to see your work here! I really like your piece so far...the upraised hand is quite nice, and it's difficult to tell that this is digital! Do you feel that the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain exercises helped at all? I'm quite curious to know!

You may want to consider enlarging the lowered hand, and slightly shrinking the upraised hand (though I really like the feel the exaggerated size of the hand gives the piece).

Corvax,

Wow, looking really nice so far! You've really captured the model's likeness...you are really thinking through to the completion of forms, which is good to see as well. The thing I notice is that his left hand seems a bit small. But really liking your use of strokes and the color pallette. Nice work!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Margie: Danish and dutch is quite similar so there really isn't much of a languish barrier that being said it's was really enough for me to see the drawings "live", its quite different then seeing them on print or on a monitor.

Rebeccak: thx. I'm quit happy about it too, I actually enjoy drawing this alot, I find it alot more fun to draw or paint people that are not (in no offence to the model) pretty photo model types so it was grate to see an OFDW whit a model that had abit more character about him.

10 October 2005
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Margie,

Great to see your work here! I really like your piece so far...the upraised hand is quite nice, and it's difficult to tell that this is digital! Do you feel that the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain exercises helped at all? I'm quite curious to know!

Rebecca, yes, the book helped tremendously. I bought the book and participate in the workshop, not exactly to learn to draw ( I could already do that...sort of), but to overcome some insecurities I felt. It worked like a charm.

The "blocks" I had were doubts about copying Masterworks and using guidelines, even though I knew that was how painters were trained in the Dutch 17th century St. Lucas Guildschools.
I've learned more from one Mastercopy (the Dürer) than I did in two years of Rietveld Academy (right...De Stijl/Bauhaus).

Oh, and about the Bauhaus crowd...I think I've come up with a better punishment than you suggested. Let's lock them up in the Amsterdam Rijksmuseum and make them copy ALL paintings in the Master gallery, lol! The Nightwatch alone should take them a couple of years.

Quote: You may want to consider enlarging the lowered hand, and slightly shrinking the upraised hand (though I really like the feel the exaggerated size of the hand gives the piece).

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try that.

10 October 2005
Talking

Quote: Rebecca, yes, the book helped tremendously. I bought the book and participate in the workshop, not exactly to learn to draw ( I could already do that...sort of), but to overcome some insecurities I felt. It worked like a charm.

The "blocks" I had were doubts about copying Masterworks and using guidelines, even though I knew that was how painters were trained in the Dutch 17th century St. Lucas Guildschools.
I've learned more from one Mastercopy (the Dürer) than I did in two years of Rietveld Academy (right...De Stijl/Bauhaus).

Great! I agree, sometimes it's less about what we can or can't do, and more about what we THINK we can or can't do. Have you ever read "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron? It's a TERRIFIC book which addresses all sorts of reasons why artists get 'blocked'. I highly recommend it.

Quote: Oh, and about the Bauhaus crowd...I think I've come up with a better punishment than you suggested. Let's lock them up in the Amsterdam Rijksmuseum and make them copy ALL paintings in the Master gallery, lol! The Nightwatch alone should take them a couple of years.

ROFLMAO...Margie, I like your style!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Hi,
I just pop up to say that I really enjoyed Zhuzhu sketch. Nice study from Zepyhri too.

10 October 2005
Talking

Arctis,

Hey, great to see you back! Will you be participating in this one?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread