CGTalk > General Techniques > Anatomy and Figurative Art > Tutorials and Workshops
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-17-2005, 03:42 AM   #1
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Arrow NOW OPEN!!! OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 006 with Ron Eyre and Rebecca Kimmel!!

NOW OPEN!!! OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 006!!!

Welcome to the SIXTH thread of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop!!!

>>RULES FOR THE THREADS<<

1. Photographs are the property of Ron Eyre and are copyrighted as such.

2. Photographs are NOT to be used for ANY other purpose apart from Figurative Drawing Reference for this thread on CGTalk.

3. The drawings created from the photo reference provided here MUST be TASTEFUL, SINCERE, RESPECTFUL, and for the purpose of serious study of the human figure. Those who post silly, disrespectful, or tasteless work will have their posts deleted immediately
and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Ron Eyre, Rebecca Kimmel, and Roberto Ortiz reserve the right to determine which drawings are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful to the model/s, who have generously agreed to allow their images to be used on the condition that they be used for the tasteful and serious study of Figurative Art only.

4. There is NO TIME LIMIT for posting on this thread.

5. New threads containing new photographs will be posted on a bi-weekly basis, depending on the number of photographs available.

6. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only your BEST WORK, even if it is considered unfinished.

7. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

8. I will be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads should be on Group Critique and interaction.

9. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Gestural, Sketch, Finished Render, etc.

EDIT: 3D Artists who wish to use the reference for 3D models are free to do so. I just ask that you post your work here as well as in any 3D forum in which you post your work.

11. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 800 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please!

12. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art!

LINKS to Photographs: WARNING: Nudity:

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 1 ~ Ron Eyre, Nude

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 2 ~ Ron Eyre, Nude

PLEASE NOTE: WIP (Work In Progress) images are an important part of the OFDWs and are encouraged. Please DO post WIP images as you work on your pieces.

Good luck!

~Rebeccak and Ron Eyre

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 10-17-2005 at 05:17 AM.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
fooxoo
Woman

portfolio
Edite Kirse
Art and CG student
SPPA
Riga, Latvia

Send a message via Yahoo to fooxoo
I m gonna try this! Gonna be a challenge! Very cool!!!

Old 10-18-2005, 03:02 AM   #3
justmeina
Veteran

Ben Miller
Rocky Mountains, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to justmeina
Thumbs up

Good to see OFDW 006, if I may say so (and not that I disliked 005 in the least, of course, quite the contrary ). Congrats to Ronnie and Rebecca

Old 10-18-2005, 03:32 AM   #4
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Ben,

Thanks! But don't go anywhere, as we will certainly want you and Ron to be part of many more OFDWs!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10-18-2005, 04:45 AM   #5
zhuzhu
Ladykiller

portfolio
Zhu Haibo
Illustration Lecturer
China Academy of Art Shanghai Insitute of Design Training Center
Shanghai, China

Send a message via MSN to zhuzhu

Talking

Thanks Rebeccak and Ron~~~!

ha ha, i am the first post this time~~~

sketch in Artweaver:

Old 10-18-2005, 04:48 AM   #6
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Nice, zhuzhu! Beautiful work on the back...something wrong with his lower left arm?

Beautiful linework! And thanks again for your friends' pictures.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10-18-2005, 05:30 PM   #7
justmeina
Veteran

Ben Miller
Rocky Mountains, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to justmeina
Wink

Quote:
Thanks! But don't go anywhere, as we will certainly want you and Ron to be part of many more OFDWs!
Ready, willing, and anxious to help anytime and in any way I can, Rebecca.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:50 PM   #8
eyrebrush
eyrebrush
Ronald Eyre
Retired
None
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

Very well drawn, Zhuzhu! I use this method of drawing a lot .... working with a dark colour on a medium toned paper, and then enhancing the structure and form of the figure with white - or light colours. There is still a lot more scope for this with your drawing. The highlights could be developed more with the white, and the shadows could be strengthened - here and there - with black or dark brown.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:43 AM   #9
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben: Ready, willing, and anxious to help anytime and in any way I can, Rebecca.

Sounds great!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron:Very well drawn, Zhuzhu! I use this method of drawing a lot .... working with a dark colour on a medium toned paper, and then enhancing the structure and form of the figure with white - or light colours. There is still a lot more scope for this with your drawing. The highlights could be developed more with the white, and the shadows could be strengthened - here and there - with black or dark brown.

Great comments! Looking forward to seeing more work.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10-19-2005, 10:02 AM   #10
zhuzhu
Ladykiller

portfolio
Zhu Haibo
Illustration Lecturer
Shanghai, China

Talking

eyrebrush:wow~~~! glad to see your first post was reply me,thanks~~~! i had visted your website already, it was awesome~~~! i really like your drawing style.as you said, i always use that technique for my digital sketch,easy and fast~~~ my sketch maybe need more contrast,but in my opinion,the most white part is on hairs,so i did not add more white strokes on the bady highlight area.and i made the background a little bit dirty,try to express some classical feeling, so lose some contrast.at last,save for web image file should be lose something...

anyway,thanks again~~~!

Old 10-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #11
eyrebrush
eyrebrush
Ronald Eyre
Retired
None
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

Talking

OK, Zhuzhu, I take your point, and I quite aggree with you! The hair IS lighter. Lol! ... I've been an art teacher all my life, and it's just in my nature to point out certain aspects of a drawing that - to my mind - could be improved! Ho-hum! http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif I hope you don't mind. I think your drawing is beautifully executed. If you think I'm nit-picking here it is only because I can see a way - in my own mind - where you can improve your drawing still more! You can strike me down if you wish! LOL!

I think that what is attracting my attention in your drawing is the heavy line around parts of the drawing where it is not needed. There is actually no such thing as a line in real life! .... only EDGES! The quality of an edge can only be distinguished by the amount of tonal contrast between the two areas on either side of it. Some of the edges of the figure almost disappear in the reference image! I would use no 'line' in these places. Some edges appear 'sharp' in places but with not as much contrast as in others. So, we artists need to VARY the tonal quality of our lines round - and within - a drawing. This also makes for much more delicacy in a drawing.

Also .... my second point .... I feel that some of the lines need to be merged either into the figure itself - or the background. The less heavy line we have around a drawing the more 3 dimensional it will appear. Look particulary at the linework down the left side of your drawing. Would you agree with me? I think a heavy line round a figure - or ANY object - tends to make it more TWO dimensional.

I've taken the liberty to do a demo! LOL! I hope you don't mind. It's a FEEBLE attempt to try to show you what I mean. I didn't have a lot of time at my disposal, so my drawing is badly shaped in places - and became too dark. The reference picture has a lot of tonal contrast - and this is what I'm trying to show. I've probably over-done the tones a bit - and the drawing is 'out' somewhat in places, but I'm hoping it shows something of what I mean about 'edges'. Iím not used to doing this yet because Iím new here! Hope this URL works!

Last edited by eyrebrush : 10-24-2005 at 08:28 AM.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:10 AM   #12
zhuzhu
Ladykiller

portfolio
Zhu Haibo
Illustration Lecturer
Shanghai, China

Talking

eyrebrush: thank you very much~~~! thanks for the very useful point of the "EDGES",actually,i know what you mean, maybe i am too lazy,ha ha. and it is a little bit hard to draw a really high quality line in digital, i can do it better on paper.thanks for the quick demo pic~~~!

Old 10-21-2005, 04:33 PM   #13
Zephyri
loves the silver foxes

portfolio
Samantha Hogg
Concept Artist
Jagex
Cambridge, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Zephyri
Hi all... thanks to Ron for these pictures, I'd actually been wondering if I could request an older model at some point, much as I like the smooth skin of the younger models, there is something wonderful about the texture of older skin, the way it fits over muscles and veins and its translucency. I've always loved the way old masters painted older skin, the elements of blues and greens they used. So naturallyI jumped at this thread! I'd love to do an oil study of one of those poses eventually but work and time in general fights me at the moment, but I have both images on my harddrive, for future reference!

And here's my current effort. I'm trying to work on the bits of the body I have weakness in, mainly the leg (thigh in particular) and the forearm. I'm working on a cheapo sketch pad with an h and hb pencil, as thats all I currently have at my disposal (being at work).

Old 10-21-2005, 06:37 PM   #14
Loulu79
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Lou Ann Ephraim
Graphic Designer
Advertising & Marketing Services
Castries, Saint Lucia

Wow! 005 is gone already!?! Well...what actually happened to me those past weeks were unpredictable. But because of that...I'll do these pics (because male anatomy is really what I need to practise anyway)...but I can't promise you it'll be finished. Let me see (hopefully) if I can do some quick sketches. I must learn to do things quickly.

Rebeccak...I'm sorry I couldn't make it with the last workshop. Please forgive me.

btw: Is it okay and possible to show the last works for 005 as a WIP thread...as well as the ones for 006? Is it really okay? Because I do want to improve...

Just asking.

latest WIP: Dragonfly/Snail
www.mysundream.com
Pygmalion Project

Old 10-21-2005, 10:55 PM   #15
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Quote:
Rebeccak...I'm sorry I couldn't make it with the last workshop. Please forgive me.

Forgiven! Lol, you are welcome to join us anytime!

Quote:
btw: Is it okay and possible to show the last works for 005 as a WIP thread...as well as the ones for 006? Is it really okay? Because I do want to improve...

Absolutely! But you can also still keep posting on any OFDW thread indefinitely! So, no worries.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread