Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Ben Miller, Liang Wang, Rebeccak 005!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2005
Rebeccak: Thanks! google! why can't i think of it ? damn so it's not a huge canvass, but how he managed to keep the flows so natural??! i guess w simple strokes yet w/ variant pressures? anyway, will ponder more on it later. Thanks again!

10 October 2005
Talking

b2,

ROFL...Yes...Google is your friend!

~Rk

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: b2,

ROFL, if I thought any one of us could paint like Sargent, I would give that person a million dollars.

~Rebeccak

Ok its on ! ill be back in 6 months ... you just wait ....

Sketchbook

10 October 2005
cool! great work so far everyone!

Some of you have probably already seen this but I will post here too (some parts are messed up like his leg, hehe very crinkly but yeah nothing I can really do about that other than do another sketch. if I have the time I will)

10 October 2005
Smile

I was thinking you had a head start on this one, enialadam .

10 October 2005
progress on the leg study...

enialadam: looks excellent

10 October 2005
Talking

Quote: Originally posted by Vahn: Ok its on ! ill be back in 6 months ... you just wait ....

ROFL...

enialadam,

I think it's entirely appropriate for you to post this piece here, even if it was done earlier ~ after all, you were the person to 'discover' Ben, for which I am really grateful!

NOOB,

Nice stuff! What medium did you say you are using again? I might try doing a cross~hatching piece in pencil. When you're cross~hatching, try to follow the form closely, as though you are an ant on the surface of the object, Try not to use long, straight hatches, but curve them slightly as you follow the underlying form. Good stuff, keep it coming!

Good stuff, guys ~ keep going!

Cheers,

~Rebecca

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
I'm using charcoal pencils,have to sharpen em every 2 seconds hah,but i prefer the feel of em compared to a pen,it was monotoned in photoshop to give it the brownish look,heh,its actually black and white.

I need one of em electric sharpeners.and i was looking at sum of ur work as inspiration,i dunno how u do it,i must say its very difficult to follow the form with cross hatch,since cross hatching is lines goin opposite ways.

all in practice i guess,thanks,more tommorow hopefully.

10 October 2005
Here's where I'm at now. I'll probably finish it up tonight and then move on to the next one in pencil or something else traditional.

NOOB I like the leg studies. The cross hatching looks solid (something I wish I could do). I also like your initial pen sketch quite a lot. Nice work so far

enialadam Very nice! I especially like the style. The two areas I noticed that seem a little out are his left arm, specifically the lower part of it and the hand. His left leg also seems a little thin at the thigh. I understand you'd have to do a new version to fix those areas but thought I'd point them out just in case

mybutterflyiris Good start! Please keep at it, she looks good. I agree with Rebecca though, save the details til you've got it all mapped out.

b2dermawan That's a really good likeness already. It's such a gentle, mellow pose and I think you've captured it really well so far. I like what you've done with the dress as well. I think it's a really sensible approach with all of those crazy folds and whatnot. Great stuff

drawMonger Looking good with the shapes so far

zhuzhu Excellent! You're very inspiring

pushav Nice work for 30 seconds worth

I hope I didn't miss anyone.

I love that Sargeant painting and when I finish the Hals copy, I'm going to give it a try. It's so very beautiful.

10 October 2005
Talking

Amerasu,

Wow, fantastic work so far! Due to a bit of a time crunch, I probably won't be able to offer much more than just comments for the time being, but I definitely like to see what's going on.

You continue to impress me with how fast you are! Wow, that's pretty amazing, especially for such a short period of time!

Will you be defining more of the musculature in the back and in his leg? Ben has a great back, I always envy those with that kind of defined musculature ~ well, I wouldn't want to look mannish, but there are women with incredibly beautiful, muscular backs also. I think it would add a lot to your already nice piece to give it a bit more definition in those areas. To me, the musculature is what makes the pose interesting.

Great stuff, and thanks again for showing your process!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: but there are women with incredibly beautiful, muscular backs also.

i'm sorry...but eh?

*shudders*

great work amer,did u find em colours urself or did u just use the eye dropper tool?

10 October 2005
Thanks Noob. I find them myself. Using the dropper doesn't help me learn so I try not to touch it if I'm using a photo ref. I find that I can usually get colours to match ok now though I still struggle with grays that have colour reflected in them. I don't think there's anything wrong with using the dropper tool when you're starting out though. It's hard to judge colour in some cases. I think any learning tools are good as long as they don't become a crutch.

I also like when people here (in Rebecca's workshop) use their own colour schemes. It's interesting to see the colours people choose.

10 October 2005
I missed your post there, Rebecca. Yes, I'll definitely be defining more muscle. It's an intriguing back, full of shapes and definition and I hope I'm able to do it justice by the time I've finished! Thanks for the feedback

10 October 2005
Talking

Amerasu,

No prob! I agree with NOOB, your colors are amazingly accurate ~ it's great that you are picking them on your own ~ wow, speed and precision!!! I am duly impressed!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Waaaaah! Ya'll start without me! No fair....oh well c'est la vie...

Not bad for everyone for a start though...Rebeccak...is it too late to add also a male model with clothes on? I should've mentioned that before this...maybe for the next Workshop? Because you see I always tend to have men in "tights": You still see the muscles through their jackets and shirts and pants. That's one of my biggest issues.

The pics here are exactly what I need to practise. Men's backs for me...like everwhere else ... tends to be my biggest issues....besides cloth wrinkels, folds and drapery.

Thanks Rebeccak.

latest WIP: Dragonfly/Snail
www.mysundream.com
Pygmalion Project

Thread Closed share thread