Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Ben Miller, Liang Wang, Rebeccak 005!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2005
Cool Saying "hi".

I just wanted to say a quick "hi" and offer my thanks to Rebecca and everyone for allowing me to be a part of this OFDW. I very much enjoy supporting artists and artworks as a model and in any way that I can and I hope that my contributions toward that end are helpful. Thanks for the appreciative comments. I'm enjoying what I'm seeing so far and looking forward to seeing everything that develops. I do very much admire artistic talent, perhaps especially given that I have so painfully little of it myself....

10 October 2005

yeh? needs work eh?

10 October 2005
Talking

Quote: I just wanted to say a quick "hi" and offer my thanks to Rebecca and everyone for allowing me to be a part of this OFDW. I very much enjoy supporting artists and artworks as a model and in any way that I can and I hope that my contributions toward that end are helpful. Thanks for the appreciative comments. I'm enjoying what I'm seeing so far and looking forward to seeing everything that develops. I do very much admire artistic talent, perhaps especially given that I have so painfully little of it myself....

Ben, it's great to have you here! Your contribution is amazing, and we're all inspired to do better work because of you. Hopefully you will continue to contribute and be a part of the OFDWs.

NOOB!,

Good god, do my eyes deceive me? Not...spam? Good work here, but I think you need to slow down and consider each line. Looking forward to seeing more progress ~ will you be working digitally?

Cheers,

~Rebecca

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
consider each line? at which stage ? *probably all* but where at the most?

digital is annoying,too many cheats,i'll stick to traditional,that was more of a pratice,i'll do another with sum proper shading and blending.

10 October 2005
NOOB,

Why not do an in~depth study of just, say, his right leg? This will teach you to study more closely detail. Right now you have a decent all over start, but where do you go from there if you are working in pen? Once you have committed the basic lines in pen, that's about the end of it ~ so if you are not hard~core focused from the beginning when working in pen, you will end up with a mediocre, permanent result.

What I suggest is to start out in pencil and rough in the major forms (for any type of drawing ~ full figure, or focused study of an individual body part, like the leg). Tighten up your pencil drawing until you are reasonably confident that you are ready to go in and add more detail with pen. You may wish to scan your pencil drawing before you ink it so you have that as a backup. Then, carefully study the area of interest closely and do a fine pen study, using a fine nibbed pen.

Good luck, and post your results.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
alrighty,actually it was done with a really sharp charcoal pencil.

on a4.....

guess its time to bus out the a3.

thanks for the tips,stay tuned.

10 October 2005
pushav: hei not bad for just a 30 sec gesture. as you've got the basic proportions quite correctly. now, how about more strife to develop it further?

Amerasu: great to see how you work. tones looking great as usual. keep updating.

mybutterflyiris: she'slooking great! maybe if you want more painting approach, try to do big blocks first (w/ big brushes) and left detailing for last. nice use of colors so far.

zhuzhu : Damn! stunning as usual!

drawMonger: yours don't load for me. my browser kinda having prob with .gif format methink.

NOOB!: nice steps, and it has very classical feel to it. my 2-cents is to put more contrast on the rendering, right now the highlights are too much and too even through-out the fig. looking forward to your update.

i'm sharing a hotel room w/ a colleague r now, thus to avoid any "akward" situations from painting naked guys (including the one for class 04) guess i'll do Liang's pose first . what i have so far:

10 October 2005
Talking

b2,

Awesome start you have here! I love the way you are approaching the dress. Take a look at Sargeant's work: (Below is a Reproduction, followed by the Original)

http://www.artunframed.com/images/samples8/sarge1.jpg

ROFL, the above is a Reproduction. Below is the Original.

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/s/sargent/lady_agnew.jpg

Have you seen his work before? I imagine you have, but you never know.

The main thing I would recommend right now is to try to warm up the skin tones, and make the texture feel a bit more moist, like skin. But you've a nice start there for sure!

Great stuff, definitely look into him further.

Looking forward to those updates!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 10 October 2005 at 05:16 PM.

10 October 2005
b2, love your pic sorry about the blank image...my attempt at being funny

so far i've got a block in (is that what it's called? i think i remember reading one of Rebecca's tutorials about starting off a figure, but can't find the tutorial) and one focusing on opposing curves.

Ben, This is a *fantastic* pose...i really love the strong angles. there's a real art deco feel to it.

10 October 2005
Talking

Quote: sorry about the blank image...my attempt at being funny

drawMonger, ROFL, my nerves are frayed from being heckled by pushav...forgive me.

Great start you have here! I love to see peoples' process like this. Well, if your first OFDW was any indication, I think we can look forward to some great stuff from you!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
I heart Sargeant!

Anywho...funny, I thought I was actually keeping it pretty loose and non-detailed
Well anyways, this really was a just for fun random distraction excercise thing, so I prob'lly won't do much more to it. But I did go back and do an anatomy correction thingy....i really don't know the proper term for it, if there is one... i gues i should say it's a readdressing in line??? ...i don't know i'm rambling now so i'll quit and just show you the image lol.

10 October 2005
Originally Posted by rebeccak: drawMonger, ROFL, my nerves are frayed from being heckled by pushav...forgive me.

pushav...keep up the good work

10 October 2005
Talking

Quote: pushav...keep up the good work

Yeah, I ban both of you.

mybutterflyiris,

Cool to see your draw~over ~ sure you don't want to tweak with this a bit more?

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Rebeccak: damn! i've seen this pic before in a small pictorial book about great american artists, though doesn't really remember the artist, the pic is pretty stayed in my mind. but that was like around 2 years ago and looking at it again as it is now is very-very intimidating ! surely you're not expecting me to even come close w/ this ? but i know you want me to study his way of painting esp. clothes (which is just amazing) no? thanks for giving me the direction , i'll see what i can do.
Btw, do you know what size is the original painting? as i can't really see or feel the brushstrokes in this pic which usually quite keenly seen in oil paintings.

drawMonger: thanks. and haha now i know what u meant. great development btw, great that you've picked some focus edges to work upon. plan to paint it digitally?

mybutterflyiris: yeah it's always good to come back again at the pic and see what can be fixed. good for you!

10 October 2005
Talking

b2,

ROFL, if I thought any one of us could paint like Sargent, I would give that person a million dollars. No, he's someone to admire and copy and learn from. Amazing person.

Here is what Google tells me about Sargent's painting:
http://www.jssgallery.org/Paintings/Lady_Agnew.htm

Lady Agnew of Lochnaw
John Singer Sargent -- American painter
1892-93
National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh
Oil on canvas
124.5 x 99.7 cm (49 x 39 1/4 in.)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com