Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with zhuzhu and Rebecca Kimmel 004

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #1
Arrow Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with zhuzhu and Rebecca Kimmel 004

NOW OPEN!!! OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 004!!!

Welcome to the FOURTH thread of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop!!! I am truly excited about this, and am very grateful to valuable CGTalk Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Art Forum member zhuzhu, artist and professional model, who has generously volunteered to allow us to use his images for this Workshop. A big thanks to zhuzhu!

Zhuzhu is additionally running a parallel thread on the 5D Forum which he moderates in China. It can be found here.

>>RULES FOR THE THREADS<<

1. Photographs are the property of zhuzhu and are copyrighted as such.

2. Photographs are NOT to be used for ANY other purpose apart from Figurative Drawing Reference for this thread on CGTalk.

3. The drawings created from the photo reference provided here MUST be TASTEFUL, SINCERE, RESPECTFUL, and for the purpose of serious study of the human figure. Those who post silly, disrespectful, or tasteless work will have their posts deleted immediately
and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Zhuzhu, Rebecca Kimmel, and Roberto Ortiz reserve the right to determine which drawings are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful to the model/s, who have generously agreed to allow their images to be used on the condition that they be used for the tasteful and serious study of Figurative Art only.

Note: As zhuzhu is a regular contributor as an artist to the Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Art Forum, I would expect that he be treated with nothing but respect. Should I discover otherwise, the offending user will be warned, and if necessary, banned.

4. There is NO TIME LIMIT for posting on this thread.

5. New threads containing new photographs will be posted on a bi-weekly basis, depending on the number of photographs available.

6. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only your BEST WORK, even if it is considered unfinished.

7. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

8. I will be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads should be on Group Critique and interaction.

9. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Gestural, Sketch, Finished Render, etc.

EDIT: 3D Artists who wish to use the reference for 3D models are free to do so. I just ask that you post your work here as well as in any 3D forum in which you post your work.

11. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 800 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please!

12. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art!

LINKS to Photographs: WARNING: Nudity:

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 1.

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 2.

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 3.

PLEASE NOTE: WIP (Work In Progress) images are an important part of the OFDWs and are encouraged. Please DO post WIP images as you work on your pieces.

Good luck!

~Rebeccak and zhuzhu

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 09:52 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #2
Oooooo, sexy guy! The first shot is like a clavin klein ad! Mmmmmm I like it, I m gonna try and draw this

Old 09 September 2005   #3
Figures, zhuzhu

Okay! Here goes my first attempt at a figure drawing in a year or so - I study Industrial Design at the moment and so most my sketching of late has been focused on man-made products. It's interesting to see how my style has changed. And it's apparently about time I started drawing the human figure once more

Thanks RebeccaK and zhuzhu for this workshop, and to everyone else for taking part in this forum. I'm already glad I joined in. See you all!

-ohjay

(edit: probably worthwile to post a link to the thing as well :
http://users.tpg.com.au/ojk/zhuzhu.jpg)

Last edited by ojkielland : 09 September 2005 at 08:50 AM.

Old 09 September 2005   #4
Post Wip01

Hello
At first I would like to thank Rebbecak for new workshop and of course Zhuzhu for photos ...
So when I woke up this morning there was a new workshop so I started with drawing immediately. Well in previous workshops others were posting wips so I though I will post some too. At least you can see as I work. You may notice there is no logic in my shading I just jump from one place to another but in case you would want to know something fell free to ask.
Ok so here it is. I may post another wips later ... it should be finished today
Btw if you can see some flaws let me know I may correct it if its not too late.

- Slux

Old 09 September 2005   #5
Talking

hey, everyone, this is the most special figure workshop online, haha, and i was be the figure model at first time. thanks Rebeccak and CGTALK~! and it was have fun to draw myself. everyone just feel free to use that photo ref to drawing.

fooxoo: thanks, the first photo was 11 years ago, when i was 21, glad you like it.

ohjay: you are welcome~! waiting for your post.

Slux: what a nice start~! thanks for sharing the WIP~! can't wait to see the finish~!

__________________________________________________ ________________________

keeping busy these days, so i haven't enough time to do finish work, maybe later. just a quick sketch here first. about 15 minutes with watercolor on sketch pad.

Old 09 September 2005   #6
Talking

fooxoo,

ROFL, yep, we should all have zhuzhu's genes!

ohjay,

Welcome to the forum! Did you post an image? Nothing appears, at least for me. If you could repost, that would be great!

Slux,

You're totally welcome, and it's great to have you here! I would be careful not to render too quickly ~ though your job so far is excellent, I think the right shoulder is starting to look a bit off, so try to get a very loose gestural drawing in first before you completely render. You may even want to try a few loose practice drawings on a separate sheet of paper, just to loosen up your hand. That left shoulder is looking fantastic! Be careful on the lips, as you do not want them to look 'outlined'. Keep going, you are doing a great job! And the purpose here is definitely to show WIPs and to get feedback.

zhuzhu,

Great to see your self~portrait! Great job, looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #7
This is a great thread. I'll definitely use this as reference.

WIP: Poison Killer

Old 09 September 2005   #8
Cool zhuzhu, nice to see you gave your shots to work from. I might throw a few to rebecca later on now that you did. I will post one of these later.

Thanks zhuzhu and Rebecca,

11th

Old 09 September 2005   #9
Talking

madskillz18,

Glad you think so, thanks! I checked out your WIP, looks really cool! Have you seen this thread:

3D DIGITAL ARTISTS

There's a lot of great work there already...why not post yours up when you're through with your model?

Kyle,

Good to see you here! You should definitely participate.

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #10
Post wip02

Ok here is my second wip ... hmm I'am really slow ... I start to doubt it will be finished today.

To Rebbecak: Thanks for crits .... I know I should at first render all areas just loosly but I always stick to some areas and render them dunno why ... but anyway this is not final redering its just undercoat ... there will be a lot of changes in values and so ...
So here it is .. second wip

- Slux

Old 09 September 2005   #11
oi!

hey, rebecca, thx for pointing this place out to me. hey, yall, i'm new in town.

was mostly interested in the shading than anything else. dont know if i got it down, but i like whats there, not really gonna mess with it more, just something real quick to do. enjoy.

The Book 2 3 4
The Jisyou

Old 09 September 2005   #12
Talking

Slux,

No problem! Rendering tightly is not a bad thing, but it is good to get in the habit of loosening up just slightly to get a rhythmic flow to a figure which is necessary to give it a sense of life.

This is looking really great so far ~ I would, however, reconsider the drawing of the right arm, as currently the bulge representing the upper arm is too generic and does not accurately describe his real upper arm ~ I would break this one rounded curve into at least 4~5 smaller, and straighter curves which delineate the muscles. The left arm is looking really good, and I think is better descriptively than the right.

Be careful not to make the face look too flat by shading it all at once and all over. Zhuzhu has a rather chiseled face which you will want to describe.

The key too to getting the face to read properly is to make sure that the fundamental axes are well in place ~ you can nail the details, but if the axes are off, then the face will not 'read' as you would expect.

Great work, keep going!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #13
Talking

Kyle,

I just reread your post and realized that you meant you would provide reference photos of yourself for the OFDWs ~ that's great! Please do send them ~ 300dpi please, so that people may print them if they so choose ~ and preferably full figure, well~lit, and of course these can be partially clothed (I know you, so it would just be way too wierd otherwise!) ~ and BTW, enialadam put me on to this great model who has a lot of great reference photos which he has agreed to allow us to use for the OFDW 005 ~ but I am more than happy to have multiple models, so please definitely send me photos. Also, I think it might be cool if we drew each others' heads, hands, feet, etc., as this would be great practice.

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #14
Talking

Rebeccak:thanks~! i will do more drawing.

madskillz18: welcome~~~! it will be great to see if you post your sketch here.

11th Door: that's ok ,man, waiting for your cool sketch~!

Slux: wow~! you did a great job, as Rebeccak said, don't pay attention to details too much at beginning, try to draw more relax.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

paint to post before sleeping, in Photoshop 7. try pastel style in digital.

Last edited by zhuzhu : 09 September 2005 at 03:45 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #15
Talking

zhuzhu,

Wow, really great sense of balance and lineweight! Very nice! Maybe something is funny with the lower left leg?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread