TUTORIAL - Shading Techniques (Various Media) - by Rebeccak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #16
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: warpyy,

A bic pen looks like this:

But any ballpoint or black pen (with a fine tip) will do. You should use the medium with which you are most comfortable.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

omg those are actual ink pens, you cant erase if you make a mistake and everyone can tell , however it does sound like something i want to do.

Do you think 5 hours of sleep is enough for me to start sketching now?

Old 09 September 2005   #17
i am not proud to show this, but..
used the finger trick, and it worked very good. i am still very much clueless about the direction the shading strokes goes. i will try to do that zoom of the arm/body with cross hatching, maybe it will give me the right direction.

@Rebecca - about your email, i will do as you asked me to. about the idea it was ment for a cgthread not for her.

Old 09 September 2005   #18
Talking

warpyy,

Wow, I didn't know you would shade the actual object in the demo, but hey, I think what you did looks really cool!

I would suggest as practice to just find a group of small objects and light them with a lamp so that the light hits from one side or the other, giving you a highlight area and a shadow area.

Good objects might be: a plant, fruits or vegetables, a tape dispenser, scissors, a phone, a small box, any small object which you can arrange in an interesting way to use as a miniature still life.

Then, just sketch lightly these objects with a sharp pencil (being careful not to press too hard on the paper). After that, shade using REALLY TINY circular motions with your sharp, sharp pencil. Try not to smudge or erase. This really gets the feel of shading in your hand.

EDIT: The other key thing is to take your time. My perspective wasn't the best in the demo drawing, but try to work on getting the perspective right on your new still life drawing.

Then, post the results of this exercise, and we'll see what you have! Good work! ~And thanks for being understanding.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 05:45 AM.

Old 09 September 2005   #19
Wow, I didn't know you would shade the actual object in the demo, but hey, I think what you did looks really cool!

-- thanks but i dont realy see any depth on it. i know i can do better

I would suggest as practice to just find a group of small objects and light them with a lamp so that the light hits from one side or the other, giving you a highlight area and a shadow area.

-- almost all of my work is faces, i never realy connected to non organic (objects), the sun is shining so maybe i should use it as the big lamp..

Then, just sketch lightly these objects with a sharp pencil (being careful not to press too hard on the paper). After that, shade using REALLY TINY circular motions with your sharp, sharp pencil. Try not to smudge or erase. This really gets the feel of shading in your hand.

-- that is what i was looking for, tiny circular motions. i will try that !!

Then, post the results of this exercise, and we'll see what you have! Good work, and thanks for being understanding.

-- np

Old 09 September 2005   #20
@ other people cruising this thread

i see you !
although it is nice to have this thread all to myself, i would enjoy to see more styles, to learn from other people aswell, it might be night time where you are at but....keep that in mind

cheers.

Old 09 September 2005   #21
make it seem so easy rebecca lol

Jelousy.

Old 09 September 2005   #22
first try at cross hatching, i am very pleased with the results.
hopefully i can improve my understanding of things.
the proportions and prespective of the body parts is horrible and i know it. so please dont comment on that, if you do want to comment you can comment on the cross hatching technique, i would appreciate it.

Old 09 September 2005   #23
Talking

warpyy,

Not too shabby! Not too shabby at all! Kudos to you for going gung~ho for this!

Here is my suggestion for you: should you accept this assignment...

Seriously, I think you should try the following: do 7-10 Master Copies this week. Find Figurative Drawings on the web by artists such as Rubens, Michelangelo, Pontormo, Raphael, etc. and copy them, using the cross~hatching technique to do your copies no matter WHAT technique the original artist used.

Post these drawings here, and we'll critique them, on technique alone if that's what you want.

What do you say?

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #24
heh, thanks for the compliment.

i would try a few of those Master sketches, BUT i dont know if i can commit to that amount,
i will do my best as always. do you happen to know where those Master Sketching are hiding . you can kick my lazy a$$ if you wish.

Old 09 September 2005   #25
Talking

warppy,

They are hiding on 'Google'. Just type Rubens, hit "Images", and untold riches shall be yours.

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #26
is google the planet on the right ?

Old 09 September 2005   #27
i can only find painted pictures, does rubens have any sketches .. or is that what you ment?

Edit: i guess you did

edit2: found 2 of them yaaay !

Last edited by warpyy : 09 September 2005 at 03:52 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #28
When shading, it's important to pay attention to the contour you're trying to create. Bend the lines as you shade, like Rebecca has done in her leg illustration. That straight hatching technique is referred to as feathering. This helps display a more convincing soild form on the page. Also experiment with shorter lines when cross-hatching to give a sense of texture, when that's required. You can also create shading with stippling small dots, but that can get tedious real quick.

Another trick with graphite shading is to do a rubbing. Lay your paper on top of a rough surface and shade across it so the texture below shows through, similar to Rebecca's thumbnail trick.

The nice thing about writing pens is how you can create a nice faint mark with a light touch. That's almost impossible to do with dip pens or markers. Markers also hold the ink line longer than dip pens do, so you can more easily make a long shaded section.
-David

Old 09 September 2005   #29
Talking

David aka dbclemons,

So...when will we see another tut from you, hey? Feel free to post a shading tutorial here, and I'll change the name of the thread so it reflects a more general shading tutorial area.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #30
Talking

David aka dbclemons,

So...when will we see another tut from you, hey? Feel free to post a shading tutorial here, and I'll change the name of the thread so it reflects a more general shading tutorial area.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread