Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 003

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #61
Uncle bob. Lol
He forgot my Christmas gift last year.
Now I am emotionally wounded for life.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Old 09 September 2005   #62
In sketch group i've been spending an hour on a pic and forgetting about it, and here I find myself spending yet another hour on this one!!...this forum is redefining 'finished' for me

I found out today that my display was very poorly calibrated. So hopefully now i've got the halo problem under control.

veljko-lemonade, I really admire your shading

Old 09 September 2005   #63
Talking

drawMonger,

Ah, the edges look much better! Kudos for continuing to improve this.

A few things could still be worked on to make this even better. I notice that your best shading is in the head / face area and upper torso (chest) and left arm. I think the reason why these areas are so successful is that you have a range of values ~ from mid dark to light, so you are able to build form there. However, the legs and right arm are losing out a bit because they are too light, causing them to appear washed out. Additionally, I think that the drawing of the lower right leg could be beefed up a bit and refined.
Finally, do you plan to do anything with the background?

Hopefully you will not take offense to any of these comments. You'll find that the closer a piece is to being 'finished', the more comments I will make.

This looks great so far! Looking forward to your updates!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #64
Wow nice job drawmonger!
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Old 09 September 2005   #65
Getting a late start. I need some help with my proportions. Something is off and I am having trouble figuring out what. I have the 'real' image open alongside mine..even still I can't seem to find the problem. Thanks!

Please forgive me if I miss anyone. I've looked at all of your images. Some really great starts and some drawings that are really super. Seems everything is in a rush for me today.

DrawMonger this is really good and you've captured her expression nicely too.

Zhuzhu I like your drawing so far. Makes me want to practice more.

Yours too Veljko..very good job.

Warpy...Good start and hope to see your image develop.

Mdme_Sadie..I think your image is lovely and has a nice watercolor appearance.

Nice portrait James. Here is something that really has helped me with eyes. Get a hand mirror and just look at your own eyes and sketch them. It really will help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dlo_wip_003.jpg (20.1 KB, 37 views)

Old 09 September 2005   #66
Talking

Samanthie,

Great to see you back for OFDW 003!!! Can't wait to see how this progresses!!! Make sure to keep those files handy for future tutorials!

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #67
Thanks pushav and Samanthie for the feedback...if the pic is turning out OK, it's mostly due to Rebecca's good advice

Rebecca, There is no way I would take offense at any of your comments...i'm just so thankful that you're taking the time to make such useful crits!

I see what you mean about the values being too light on the legs and right arm and agree that the right leg needs more work...I look forward to making an update in the next few days and will give the model something to sit on

Cheers!!

Old 09 September 2005   #68
this workshops are amazing, and a very good learning place =)
I already did 1 and 2 but was afraid of posting them. I ll color that soon- hope its ok to post in an early state? If not I ll remove it

Old 09 September 2005   #69
Talking

hagarun,

Welcome to the thread, I'm happy to see you've posted! You are absolutely welcome to post work in progress, as the Anatomy Forum is housed under the main WIP 2D Forum. I really encourage people to do so, as it helps us all see your working method and allow us to give comment, critique, and encouragement as we go along.

Very nice work so far! I think that the linework is looking good.

I think that the head may be a bit too big for the body right now...if this is done in Photoshop, then it should be very simple to scale just the head down. Her right leg should be a bit thicker, and I would recommend lengthening her lower leg and enlarging the foot a bit. The torso looks great, I would just caution against making her too skinny. I really like how you've drawn the arms, and I think it will be great to see a painting of this!

Good luck, and I look forward to your updates!

drawMonger,

You are most welcome! Look forward to more great work!

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 02:28 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #70
wow, all these really cool images you all

i am a little bit short on comments and drawings these days because of a fever but i hope this will be over soon. back to bed for me.

keep up your great work

Old 09 September 2005   #71
i just discovered this forum and i'm totally excited about it. here's my first attempt... hopefully i'll have a bunch more to follow.

cheers,
bonedog

Old 09 September 2005   #72
Talking

bonedog,

Glad you found us, welcome to the Anatomy Forum!! This is lovely work, thank you for posting!

I checked out your homepage, and you are an artist after my own heart with your use of charcoal and studies of anatomy...it's great to see! Lol, you've dones the same copy of the leg bones as I have, which is really neat to see! I look forward to seeing more of your work on the forum!

With respect to your first sketch for the OFDW 003, I think you've got a lovely start. I would say that the head is a bit too big for the rest of the figure...not an easy correction traditonally, but if you were to paint this up in Photoshop, it would be a really easy fix. The shading, particularly around the stomach area, left leg and arms, is quite nice, tho I miss the same treatment on the lower right leg and foot. The pedestal is really nicely sketched in gesturally, which is great since the primary focus is the model.

Great start, and I look forward to updates! Please feel free to post work in progress, as that is really the purpose of this thread and forum.

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #73
thank you rebecca! - I tried to fix the wrong parts =) still very unsure about her lower leg- I think its in a wrong perspective and too long now
There is something about the pose and face that reminded me on a wood nypmph taking her morning shower- so I decided to try that setting with =)

@Llynna heya, didnt know you are around here too. Hope you are well soon again =)

@bonedog welcome =) very nice done. I especially like her legs and her belly. I look forward for more!

Old 09 September 2005   #74
Hello I just wanted to say hi

I'm hoping to join you in this exercise soon I like this kind of sketches a lot. Rebbeca - This was a great idea

Old 09 September 2005   #75
Talking

Katea,

Looking forward to having you join us!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread