CGTalk > General Techniques > Anatomy and Figurative Art > Tutorials and Workshops
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-06-2005, 08:15 AM   #46
warpy
Thirsty for Art

portfolio
Ori Cohen
2D/3D Artist, AI nut
Israel

Send a message via MSN to warpy
same here, i knew you were a female. but everytime i saw the old man's picture without looking at the name i thought i was talking to him until it hit me

Old 09-06-2005, 08:41 AM   #47
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

thankyou for the comments and crits viljko-lemonade and rebeccak!

veljko-lemonade, i agree on what you are saying about focusing in on certain area, but i have to disagree about the exploration aspect or paint versus drawing though! i think it's good to work against the media, and never get too slick, adding to the challenge to give life to the work. it's about learning more than just anatomy after all (which you could do from any book)! and each media brings it's own set of challenges and benefits to learn.

rebeccak - yes you're right far too light, i've toned it down a bit here.

anyhow, i've updated after another hours work tonight. unfortunately the more i work with it, the more apprent all the terrible flaws are lol, i don't think this one's working into any further, so maybe i'll start another one (when i get the time).

Old 09-06-2005, 11:08 AM   #48
D4ng3rmouse
Learner Artist
James
Jnr cg artist
Lipsync Post
London, United Kingdom

Head Sketch

Hey i decided to try and sketch just the head like you suggested Rebeccak. This is what i came up with last night. Did it in about 2hours which for me is very quick hehe. Its my first attempt and i tried to plan it out less than i would do usually so there are a lot of things that are off. The left side of the face (from our perspective) is to far out, the eyes are terribble as well. I probably shouldn't have tried shading it before i made sure it all looked ok but i didn't notice until i started shading. Well anyway here it is hope its ok, im gonna try starting a new sketch of the head again later and ill see if i can get a better result . Oh yeah at the mo im just sketching it right way up in a portrait way just to make it a bit easier for myself to begin with hope thats ok.

actually if u cover up the left side it loks a lot better lol.
Hey zhuzhu ive got one of those lead holders as well, they rock hehe. Gotta say your sketches are amazing, i especially like the water colour ones. I tired using water colours for a little while but they are so hard to use!

Old 09-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #49
drawMonger
Know-it-All
Peer Glen
writer
Westbury, Australia

Rebecca, I've made the chages you suggested...Cheers!

Old 09-06-2005, 02:45 PM   #50
EAD
confusing name change

portfolio
Andrew Eadington
Concept Artist
London, United Kingdom

An effort by me

In response to subtle hints, I thought Id better do a quick sketch for this one, so here it be.

She has a few issues with limbs--- I recon she could smash through concrete walls with that left arm I only wish my bicep was that impressive.

Lemonade - Im lovin your work, the hatchings teriffic, keep it up.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-06-2005, 03:11 PM   #51
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

mdme_sadie,

Definitely better with darker values! Why not try taking this into Photoshop? You might find that things are easier to control there...but everyone works differently, so you may just want to experiment a bit. Looking forward to updates!

D4ng3rmouse,

Kudos for trying this exercise! This will be a great approach, and I look forward to seeing more work from you! I may try to post a little review later on today. Good work so far, and keep it coming!

drawMonger,

Ah, much much better! Just make sure you don't leave a halo around her (esp. noticeable about the hair). I still think her lower leg could use more length ~ what do you think? Do you plan to take this piece further?

Andyonahill,

He lives! Do you plan to paint this one? Her upper torso looks great, but I would work more on her limbs ~ I think people hit a wall when they get to long, narrow, relatively straight features (such as limbs can be) and you have to exaggerate these features to make them interesting by using Opposing Curves. Also, you might want to try a separate study of the head, as I'm sure you could go into much more depth in a full~size study. Good luck, and look forward to your updates!

~~~

Good work, guys, keep it up!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09-06-2005, 03:31 PM   #52
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Mike,

I didn't see your drawing before ~ sorry for that! Here is a belated review.

Really decent start, and I like the linework! Howerver, there are things which could be improved. I think her ribcage looks a bit emaciated. The lines which indicate rather thin ribs are contributing to that effect. Her left leg is looking a bit small with respect to her torso and right leg. Additionally, I think her head, while well~realized, looks a bit small for her body.

Good start, and are you going to have time to paint this? Looking forward to your updates.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09-06-2005, 03:32 PM   #53
drawMonger
Know-it-All
Peer Glen
writer
Westbury, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccaak
Ah, much much better! Just make sure you don't leave a halo around her (esp. noticeable about the hair). I still think her lower leg could use more length ~ what do you think? Do you plan to take this piece further?

Thanks again...I'll fix those last things for my own benefit but the changes will be pretty close to this one and I don't want to flood the thread with my pic. One question, what part of the leg do you think I should extend?

Old 09-06-2005, 04:29 PM   #54
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

drawMonger,

Do not be afraid to 'flood' this thread with one pic. You should see the way I flooded OFDW 002 with my one pic, lol! The purpose of the Anatomy Forum being a Sub~Forum under WIP is to encourage everyone to post their works in progress for continuous critique. So, I highly encourage you and everyone to post *significant* modifications when they have made them ~ the point is to post the work and receive feedback until the piece is truly 'finished', or at least reasonably so within our time constraints. So don't be shy about posting away.

I think her lower right leg needs to be extended quite a bit. I could be wrong, but take a look at the photo and compare.

Good luck, and post those updates!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #55
EAD
confusing name change

portfolio
Andrew Eadington
Concept Artist
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeccak

I think people hit a wall when they get to long, narrow, relatively straight features (such as limbs can be) and you have to exaggerate these features to make them interesting by using Opposing Curves. ~~~

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
I agree entirely with this. I always find the limbs tough as they are long expansive surfaces without the detail of the torso and head and are therefore harder to map accurately due too lack of reference points. I have noticed how peoples drawings tend to be weakest in the limbs as there always seems to be the most guesswork involved. The length of the femur seems to me to be the hardest proportion get right on the human body as it is the most expansive and feature-void part. I think knowing about the muscle structure can help with this (Head buried in a anatomy book) as well as providing the knowledge to emphasized opposing curves as you suggest.

a quick question for teacher>> Do you (or anyone else) find it easier to draw more muscular people over standard mortals, and do you find the male form easier/harder than the female ? (I ask because Im considering drawing some muscle clad steroid eaters to improve my rather limited knowledge).

Old 09-06-2005, 04:36 PM   #56
default-rol
Character Modeller

portfolio
Michael
Character Artist
The Character Warehouse
South East London, United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to default-rol Send a message via AIM to default-rol Send a message via MSN to default-rol Send a message via Yahoo to default-rol
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeccak
Mike,

I didn't see your drawing before ~ sorry for that! Here is a belated review.

Really decent start, and I like the linework! Howerver, there are things which could be improved. I think her ribcage looks a bit emaciated. The lines which indicate rather thin ribs are contributing to that effect. Her left leg is looking a bit small with respect to her torso and right leg. Additionally, I think her head, while well~realized, looks a bit small for her body.

Good start, and are you going to have time to paint this? Looking forward to your updates.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

WOW! MY FIRST REVIEW BY THE RebeccaK - FORUM LEADER! I'm honoured... lol! No probs for missing it before 'Becca.

Totally agree with everything you said. I usually look at my drawings again about 30 minutes after I post, and notice all these things that are horribly wrong... I will try to correct it/ redo it again and improve.

MIKE

Last edited by default-rol : 09-06-2005 at 04:41 PM.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #57
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

AOAH,

(I hope you don't mind that I've shortened your name to an acronym)

That is a GREAT point about muscle~bound men and women. My answer is a resounding YES. It's why I do and have done so many master copies, particularly from Rubens and Michelangelo ~ because they exaggerate (and invent) musculature EVERYWHERE and it is clear.

I really recommend, in a more modern context, drawing from photographs of sports icons ~ basketball players, the aforementioned muscle~men (just google "weighlifters" or "bodybuilders" or the like) and you will come up with a lot of great reference to draw from in terms of muscles. Now, not every figure you draw need be Arnold Schwarzeneger~like, but drawing from the muscle~bound can really help one's drawing ability a lot.

Try to make these drawings ARTISTIC ~ and not just basketball fan boy pics of favorite stars.

This reminds me that I am trying to finagle a deal with a friend of a friend who is a bodybuilder ~ I am going to ask him if he will do some free poses for us, either nude or semi~nude, as he has done professional photos before. I can't make any guarantees, but I for one prefer to draw from men (I know I am in the minority here, lol), but I think for musculature, men tend to be more buff (though I have drawn from fairly muscular women as well).

I would try just doing maybe 5-10 drawings using basketball players as reference ~ then post them on the appropriate thread (not here) and we'll take a look then.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09-06-2005, 05:09 PM   #58
warpy
Thirsty for Art

portfolio
Ori Cohen
2D/3D Artist, AI nut
Israel

Send a message via MSN to warpy
may i suggest www.3d.sk ? its free and stuff

Old 09-06-2005, 06:02 PM   #59
EAD
confusing name change

portfolio
Andrew Eadington
Concept Artist
London, United Kingdom

Talking

Rebecca, Thanks for the suggestions. feel free to acronymize(I think I just invented that verb) my name as much as you want.

Go for it with the bodybuilder, that would be really good and beneficial to all in terms of understanding human form (and Im sure youd enjoy taking the photos).

I have concluded that in order to imrove my drawing and understanding of opposing curves I need to draw people with as many curves, blemishes and creases as possible, so I recon my ideal subject will be a 75 year old, 280 pound bodybuilder with excessive body fat. NICE

Old 09-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #60
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

My uncle Bob? *I'll stop spamming now.*

~Rebeccak