Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 003

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Talking

D4ng3rmouse,

No problem! Yep, that's what these threads are here for...practice, and to motivate one another to get better. It's not a competition, it's inspiration...and I feel lucky to be part of a community outside of school where one's work in progress can be seen. Quite frequently, people don't create art once they are outside of school because their audience is gone ~ I think the CGTalk community is quite amazing for providing that audience which gives all of us encouragement to continue to practice creating art.

warpyy,

There is an old saying that it takes 10 years to learn how to draw, 7 if you're a genius. Not being a genius, it has taken me a good 10, and I still don't feel like I know what I'm doing! Really. It's practice. That's what we're here for, baby!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
@Rebecca

its true it takes a lot of time to learn, but i dont want to wait 10 years, or even 7
i guess i like to learn about things fast ..
on the other hand time will clearly make sure i will mature my drawing skills the right way.

09 September 2005
Talking

warppy,

Lol, well, I think the Internet is turning out to be an amazing tool for learning / teaching, but it still takes good old fashioned hard work to get there.

Here is a trick you may know but which always helps me to simplify things when I draw / paint something complex, such as this figure: use the concept of Negative Space to draw ~ instead of drawing the figure, draw the Negative Space around the figure. Here is an example of Positive and Negative Space for this figure:

This is a great exercise to try, and I highly recommend it. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Wink

Originally Posted by warpyy:
@zhuzhu what kind of pencil are you using and what kind of papers?

just common sketch pad, and i use two kind of pencils.the golden one is really good!

Last edited by zhuzhu : 09 September 2005 at 06:12 AM.

09 September 2005
zhuzhu- What kind of pencils are those especially the gold one.
Is it a lead holder?

So you ar using a .05 pencil and leadholder.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by zhuzhu: just common sketch pad, and i use two kind of pencils.the golden one is really good, made in Korea.

@zhuzhu - how long have you been sketching ?
the black one looks like a Pilot 0.5, i cant tell which is the Golden one and what kind of led it has. also are those 2B pencils i see in there ?
how did you get a black bally eraser like that.

@Rebecca
i am familiar with the concept of negetive space , it is one of those things i picked up on my
own and then after i saw the "drawing on the right side of the brain" i knew how to name it . for all of those newbies like me around here, the idea is to block in the big shapes and then after the basic shape is there you can add smaller details and work on all the positive space curves shading etc..

Last edited by warpyy : 09 September 2005 at 03:54 AM.

09 September 2005
here's my attempt...the edges are a bit dodgy...i messed up the background and tried to fix it with a fill.

09 September 2005
Smile

Originally Posted by warpyy: @zhuzhu - how long have you been sketching ?
the black one looks like a Pilot 0.5, i cant tell which is the Golden one and what kind of led it has. also are those 2B pencils i see in there ?
how did you get a black bally eraser like that.

do you mean how long that i have start learn drawing? since high school, in 1990, almost 15 years ago. if you ask me how long that i finish that sketch, about 1 hour.

it seem you and pushav are interested in which pencil what i used. the balck one is 0.7mm HB pencil.i always used it for details. the golden one just like holder, you can choice different "stick". about that "balck eraser", it was waxiness eraser, but dirty already~~~

i think the tools choice is not very important thing, pay attention to the basic of drawing, that's the point.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by zhuzhu: do you mean how long that i have start learn drawing? since high school, in 1990, almost 15 years ago. if you ask me how long that i finish that sketch, about 1 hour.

it seem you and pushav are interested in which pencil what i used. the balck one is 0.7mm HB pencil.i always used it for details. the golden one just like holder, you can choice different "stick". about that "balck eraser", it was waxiness eraser, but dirty already~~~

i think the tools choice is not very important thing, pay attention to the basic of drawing, that's the point.

lol 15 years, no wonder i am not even close to your level.
i have experimented with many "tools" the last year and i still havent found my selected choice of tools

thanks for the info.

09 September 2005
Talking

zhuzhu,

Thank you for sharing your art materials! This is cool to see.

drawMonger,

Great to have you on the thread!

You have a great start so far!! The overall attitude is working well, and your proportions are, for the most part, very good. Proportionally, what I would recommend would be to elongate / extend her lower left leg, as right now it looks to be too short. The relationship of the head to the body looks good, as do the arms to the body. I think the right arm could be a bit thinner, and her lower right leg thicker, as right now these are approximately the same width.

With respect to values, the major thing I would recommend would be to really go ahead and just completely darken the bkgrd value to a deep brown, as this will give you a much greater range of values, and will show the lightness of her skin tone to a much greater degree. Right now, if you squint your eyes at the piece, she sort of blends into the bkgrd.

Finally, I would recommend making her skin tone not so light all over, as you are currently limited in the value range that you can go up on the skin. Many times, light areas are darker than you think, even on light skin, and so you want to afford yourself the full range of possibilities value~wise from the beginning. You want to gradually build the lights from a mid~range value up to the highlights, and down to the shadows.

Looking great so far! Looking forward to your update!

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Talking

Originally Posted by warpyy: lol 15 years, no wonder i am not even close to your level.
i have experimented with many "tools" the last year and i still havent found my selected choice of tools

thanks for the info.

ha ha , not full time dawing during the past 15 years. if as that, i think i can do better job now. i just learn drawing at art school for 2 years. after that, i have be a professional model (for fashion show and another modeling job) many years, even right now. drawing just free time hobby. since 2002, i find painted in digital have fun, and i have go back to drawing again.

it's me, photo in 2000, 5 years ago.

Last edited by zhuzhu : 09 September 2005 at 06:30 AM.

09 September 2005
Talking

zhuzhu,

Very cool, it's funny, you don't look at all like I expected, lol!

Nice Garfield picture!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Talking

Originally Posted by Rebeccak: zhuzhu,

Very cool, it's funny, you don't look at all like I expected, lol!

Nice Garfield picture!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

ha ha, this is the charm of internet. and, i just know you are a lady...ha ha. as before, i just confuse an old man have a female name... now i know, you are the girl who play the laser sword. sorry i am too slow.

09 September 2005
Talking

zhuzhu,

I am laughing out loud!!! That is too funny!!

This might clear up the confusion:

I have just created a new thread:

Post a picture of yourself and / or your workstation / art space

Please feel free to post your picture and other pictures there!

Cheers,

(The Female) Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: veljko-lemonade,

Other areas of the figure are more static (and therefore a bit less interesting) because there is not as much movement happening there ~ for example, the right leg and arms both have relatively:

~Rebeccak [/left]
[/center]

Hi- i know what you are saying, and i understand perfectly-I also noticed that the upper part of the thorso was done the best in this sketch- I also feel the most comfortable in drawing forms like that one, where the forms of the body are broken into smaller coliding elements, rather then upright standing figures where you have lots of parallel long lines
thx for the link and for your time

Thread Closed share thread