Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 003

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #16
Talking

veljko-lemonade,

This is a really lovely sketch. However, having said that, I think that there are certain areas which are working better than others, and it's because of the concept of Opposing Curves.

I think the upper torso is working the best, because there is a lot of movement set up by the rhythmic opposition of the curves which you have employed in its drawing. The angle of the head also works well with this to create a feeling of movement and contrast between it and the upper torso.

Other areas of the figure are more static (and therefore a bit less interesting) because there is not as much movement happening there ~ for example, the right leg and arms both have relatively:

parallel () lines vs. offset curves...

such as you have used in the torso. Offset curves are always better, as they describe the organic nature of human form to a much better degree.

Check out this thread for an in~depth explanation of Opposing Curves ~ there is a demo at the beginning of the thread which explains what I mean:

Also, technique~wise, what is working best is the shading around the breasts and the general upper torso, as what you are doing there is following form. Predictably, where the shading is less successful is where it is not following form, such as in the legs and arms. It takes a lot of work to shade this way ~ hatch by hatch ~ but if done carefully and consistently, you will be really happy with your results.

Hope this helps! I think you have done a fabulous job so far, and I really look forward to seeing more work from you in these workshops!

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 06:08 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #17
Initial Sketch

Hey, thought id finally join in with one of these sketching sessions. Ive been watching the others as they have been going but just not had a chance to do anything. This is just an inital sketch just trying to make sure ive got proportions and stuff right. Sorry for the bad scan, i sketch very very lightly (perhaps too much so) and so i had to increase the contrast of the image so anything would show up . Im gonna continue with it a bit tonight, start doing some shading, although this is the part im have probs with most of the time so it will probably take me a while . Anyway if anyone has any comments id love to hear them ta.

Old 09 September 2005   #18
Talking

D4ng3rmouse,

I'm thrilled to see you posting work! Thank you for posting here.

I think your approach to this is very solid. It's great to put in the lay~in of the full figure first, and build from there. It can be useful to do this over and over again, for the same figure. I highly recommend doing so, in fact, as it builds confidence, and half of drawing is a confidence game.

I also recommend taking a sheet of paper and just drawing free~form, organic lines ~ don't worry about making anything realistic~looking, just create a series of nice, organic, free~form lines to loosen up your wrist and hand. This can be a helpful exercise before doing any drawing.

Her upper torso and left leg are looking really good ~ I particularly think that you have shown confidence with the drawing of the left leg, and it shows a really great use of Opposing Curves. We will work on feet and hands ~ what I recommend is to use this figure pose as an opportunity to do several small sketches of individual components ~ the head, the torso, the arms, the legs, the hands, and the feet ~ separately. This may seem like a daunting task, but I really think it would be a worthwhile exercise.

I propose that you draw the head ~ only ~ and draw this to fill about 3/4 a sheet of paper, and then post that. Or, alternately, drawing ONLY the torso (or body part of your choice) and posting that.

Good luck, and I look forward to your update!

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #19
another update, this one is a little bit better, still some arm problems, and the leg is too small. the left foot is too small.
i am still too confused about the shading part.. lots more to learn.

Old 09 September 2005   #20
Talking

warpyy,

Thank you for reminding me about the Shading thing...working on a short tut...

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #21
Originally Posted by rebeccak: warpyy,

Thank you for reminding me about the Shading thing...working on a short tut...

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

much appreciated.

Last edited by warpyy : 09 September 2005 at 07:17 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #22
Talking

And the other one - I should really get around to shading my next lot...

MIKE

Old 09 September 2005   #23
I can already see this is going to be good. Great start everyone.

veljko-lemonade. You can't leave her without a face, surely.There is a lot more room to increase the depth, and tonal range of this already lovely drawing. The shadow behind her near arm, and below her leg, for example. Afford a great opportunity, for echoing and counterbalancing that wonderful swathe of black hair. It is Photoshop after all, if you don't like it delete the layer.

Old 09 September 2005   #24
Talking

Alright, Mike's back in action! But...where is AOAH??

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #25
Snap

Old 09 September 2005   #26
Talking

PSR,

Snap? As in, magic powers? You and AOAH must know each other.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #27
its definitely looking good, i realy enjoy seeing other styles than mine.
how come my neighbours grass is allways greener ? keep it coming !

Old 09 September 2005   #28
Arrow

For those of you who are interested in learning more about Traditional Shading techniques, I have posted a REALLY brief tutorial on the Anatomy Forum:

TUTORIAL - Shading Techniques (Various Media) - By Rebeccak

I may add to it as I go along, or as people request things.

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #29
Hey rebeccak, ta for the quick response. Ill have ago at what you said. Ive always found i hard to do things without planning which can make things seem a bit rigid but i just seem to get everything outta whack most of the time. I guess it comes of being more technically minded as my teachers were always telling me. I think ill have ago at the head to begin with and if i get on well with that then the torso. Its all good practice for my major project for when i go back to uni anyway . Ta again and ill try to put up an update as soon as pos.

Also just wanted to say that some of the other stuff thats been posted looks amazing. I have no idea how some of u guys produce work that fast and that looks that nice. I guess its all down to practice .

Old 09 September 2005   #30
i guess its practice, and some of it is second nature.
but seriously my work is very novice, i looked at the body edges and kind of copied it. then interpeted the shading but it clearly isnt that good.

hmm..

Thread Closed share thread