Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 002

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #46
Well... there's my first test here... In fact, my second work with Painter, I must learn more cause that don't totally agree me... and in particulary feet and hands... the most difficult for me...
I don't have a big skill of numeric painting... and I think my size of work is too small (2640 pixels) ?, hard to really detailed feet and hands for me. Next time, I will try with a bigger size.

For the technic used : in Painter, I begin to draw basicly the edges with various colors. And for each colors, I select 4 or 5 different ranges, and I paint coarsely some larges touches of colors, which I standardize with the palette knife. For the completions, I prefer to use Photoshop for the moment, I know it better

First part, with Painter : 1 1/2 hours

And second part : 1/2 hour in Photoshop

I hope to have time to do more exercices here... finally, very funny (thanks to RebeccaK)... that push to learn

Old 08 August 2005   #47
Lemog- drawing hands and feet are at times hard. Usually I take the disney animator's approach about draw 4 fingers or toes and draw a tiny nub at the end to represent another toe or finger. And when drawing fingers, I tend to bend the finger in 2 places. I is an excellent trick. (I learned this from artists on the little mermaid.)

I may make a tutorial on it one day if my school schedule permits. Lol.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Last edited by pushav : 08 August 2005 at 09:20 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #48
Talking

Lemog,

Second work with Painter?? Really??!! You have some envious people here. Great job! I really think you nailed the proportions, and I particularly like the color palette of your second piece! Glad you are participating in the OFDW 002!

I like the confident linework around her right thigh ~ that's a really nice, calligraphic stroke. The only thing I would say right now is that your edges look a bit ragged ~ so I would recommend working larger next time, and everyone should make sure to work at a large resolution, like 300 dpi, if they would like to print their pieces eventually.

Great work! Do you plan to tackle the second pose?

~Rebeccak

PS ~ Really cool font, too!!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 08 August 2005 at 09:20 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #49
Talking

Lemog

For details such as hands and feet, have you ever tried copying the offending section into a new document, blowing it up to 200%/400% (depending on what you want to achieve) and detailing it there, copying that piece back into your main painting, then rescaling it down and re-calibrating it up to the original?

That can work. I'm seriously going to have to improve my painter skills, the program is so sooooooo beautiful when done well.... (I want to cry at my lack of ability with this program...)

MIKE

Old 08 August 2005   #50
Originally Posted by default.rol: Lemog

For details such as hands and feet, have you ever tried copying the offending section into a new document, blowing it up to 200%/400% (depending on what you want to achieve) and detailing it there, copying that piece back into your main painting, then rescaling it down and re-calibrating it up to the original?

That can work. I'm seriously going to have to improve my painter skills, the program is so sooooooo beautiful when done well.... (I want to cry at my lack of ability with this program...)

MIKE

Don't worry painter is simple it is kinda like photoshop. I use it the same way in my process. Better bushes like real paintbrushes. I like the acrylic brushes to get that old school feel like a frazetta painting.

The shortcut hotkey are just about the same
b-brush
[-decreases brush sizes
]-increases brush size
k-paintbucket fill

etc......

One thing that is really different is the opaccity levels. 10percent in painter is not 10percent in photoshop for example.

Last edited by pushav : 08 August 2005 at 09:48 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #51
Talking

Originally Posted by pushav: Don't worry painter is simple it is kinda like photoshop.

Painter....... is......... SIMPLE!!? <flatlines....> LOL! I bought the program around 3 months ago and have been trying it out with varying degrees of ineptitude ever since. I look at what can be done in it and it beats the pants off PS for this sort of work, (as the two product names suggest their intended audiences I think,) and I'm desperate to get to grips with it now

I have half decent PS knowledge, but (for me at least) PS is nothing like painter...

Cheers tho.

MIKE

Old 08 August 2005   #52
Okay, here's mine. I spent a lot more time on it than I did on the last one. I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out, although I suck at doing drapery.

Done in Painter 9 ... I don't know how long it took... 6-10 hours? maybe. I lose track when painting.

Old 08 August 2005   #53
Originally Posted by -Brittany-: Okay, here's mine. I spent a lot more time on it than I did on the last one. I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out, although I suck at doing drapery.

Done in Painter 9 ... I don't know how long it took... 6-10 hours? maybe. I lose track when painting.

Hmm.........:bo wdown:
Real nice. I liked how you added your own spin on the colors.
Could you please make a tutorial one day

Old 08 August 2005   #54
Wow, thanks, Pushav

I guess I could make a tutorial. The thing is, I'm not very methodical. It's usually just: a little bit of color here... some more over there.. etc. There's thought behind it, but it's all so very random, I don't know if I could describe it in steps. maybe sometime, who knows
I still have a lot to learn.

Old 08 August 2005   #55
You should try it. You might like it. That is a nice pic along with that beauty and the beast one you made.

Old 08 August 2005   #56
Talking

-Brittany-,

Amazing work!!!
This will definitely be going into the "Best of" section when I get around to it...Awesome job!!!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2005   #57
Some thoughts of a non-authority

Brittany: mighty great...best work here I think. although i find the skintones contrasting a lot ..the beige and the pink do not blend in very nicely I think. the pink should be a little cooler i think, now it's like she spilled hot water all over her body...could be my monitor anyway, crappy machinery here...
(And about not being methodical: chaos breeds life, when order breeds habit.--Henry Brooks Adams)

also love Lemog's work esp. with blue background. Although i crave a more detailed face! the eye is sucked to it, but when it arrives it is disappointed by vagueness..

cheers!

Old 08 August 2005   #58
Wow, Brittany, that's just....wow! I was scrolling down the page and just came to a dead stop when I got to your painting. This one jumps off the page. Great work!

Old 08 August 2005   #59
Brittany, I'll join in on the praise for that painting. It's quite lovely. I like your personal take on the contrast and how you've exaggerated some of the bone angles.

Some suggestions: there are a few spots of shading I would re-think, like at the left clavicle and right ankle. Consider toning them down a bit.
The shape of her right breast is shaped a bit differently than how you've drawn it.
There's a bit of a "pinkness" to her left calf that seems out of place with the rest of her coloring.
Looks like she lost an arm under that right sleeve. It should have a bit more volume to it.
Her left arm bends back more, and the forward joint seems to push forward rather than curve back.

I love how you've rendered her hair, and the cloth is very well done.

Thanks for sharing it with us.
-David

Old 08 August 2005   #60
Talking

Ok, I had better jump in the mix here, or I will just spend the rest of my days ogling everyone else's work!

Rough beginnings...

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread