Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 002

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
Thumbs up

Rebecca- Ctrl+t new tab (mozilla) Lol I just checked out his work. the work of Paul Gauguin. His colors are vivid but that goes with the tropical settings of his paintings. I am more of a Mucha fan along with Brian Stelfreeze. Thanks for the Refence though. I guess that you did not see my perspective mistake rebbecca lol.
That means another drawing soon.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

08 August 2005
Talking

Ok, this is so far a bit s*****, but I will post it anyway ~ default.rol / Mike has subtly kicked my a** into posting more work (yes, thanks a lot, Mike, I don't have anything else to do, lol! ) so here goes! WIP, of course.

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

08 August 2005
Yay I can crit the teacher now! Finally.

Here we go.

1. Her forearm in bigger than her biceps
2. the bottom of her ribcage should be sticking out more.
3 her right leg should be raise more.
4. too much of the underside of her back is shown.

Hopefully that helps. Lol no spam this time but a helpful crit.

And please post more of your drawings.

08 August 2005
Talking

Originally Posted by rebeccak: default.rol / Mike has subtly kicked my a** into posting more work (yes, thanks a lot, Mike, I don't have anything else to do, lol! )

~Rebeccak

I'm impressed Rebecca ~

Good for the timeframe, but I'm not buying the foreshortening on her right forearm just now. I know you haven't rendered it yet, but (to me at least) the linework isn't reading right...

You will have to wait for my first go as instead of doing anything tonight I got sucked into the new football (soccer to American readers) season highlights from the weekend action. Tomorrow though, I promise...

08 August 2005
Talking

Lol, you give and give, then at the first opportunity, they try to eat you!! Hahahahaha! I will try harder for my next update.

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

08 August 2005
Doodle...

Sorry Rebecca I posted in the opening thread...could you move the reply to here?

Anyway, this is my sketch...

08 August 2005
Actually i'd like to crit the teacher too

I don't know whether or not you meant to exagerrate the anatomy, but it kinda makes the (pretty) woman look dried out...like she's been in that pose for a week but in some other drawings of you it turns out great.

My drawing almost shows the opposite i know, but that's due to a bad scanner...there's more subtlety in the real sketch.

08 August 2005
Crit the teacher time lol!

Zoontjens- The only clear problem I see is that the woman needs more of an arch in her back. other wise it is nice. Is that pencil?

Oh yeah Rebecca, what types of pencils are you sketching with? I need a pencil like that.

Last edited by pushav : 08 August 2005 at 12:58 AM.

08 August 2005
heres my attempt at the first photo about 1 hour

08 August 2005
Zoontjens:

I like this sketch. I am not sure how much time you put into this. I am going to assume you didn't sink 12 hours into it. I am not saying this to be insulting . It is actually a lead up to my compliment. I think that considiering the amount of time this thread has been available and the speedy response by you, that your interpretation of the photograph is quite nice. I have to say I really appreciate your line qaulity. it is not a photoreal rendering
( it doesnt have to be) and I think you accomplished what you set out to do.

Rebbecca: I can say that appreciate your stylistic approach to drawing anatomy. You scream hogarth!! Which I think is great. Don't people have the same crits. regarding Michealangelo's women? Your style is pleasing to the eye and very dynamic but probably doesn't do your talent justice when i it is in the working state or viewed at such a small scale. I wish my screen was 18"x24"! I agree with default.rol in regards to the forearm but then again since it has yet to be rendered I wonder if those are temporary gesture marks....

GJ. guys
Shaun

P.S. Please tell Mr. Ly that this set is outstanding. very dynamic but elegant.

Last edited by stipick_S : 08 August 2005 at 02:40 AM.

08 August 2005
Talking

stipick_S,

Woo! Defense! (Hi-fives stipick_S)!

Thanks for the words of defense ~ shakes stick at default.rol / Mike. Just kidding, lol! No, I was just telling default.rol / Mike that I am pleasantly surprised at how little offense I take at being critiqued. I never considered myself beyond critique in the first place, and it is nice to get a kick in the pants, as my ability level has rather plateaued ~ and without honest feedback (which frankly, I have not gotten much since school, as heretofore my drawings had been hiding in my closet, under the bed, and under the couch) ~ so it's actually quite nice to get some honest commentary. I was not lying when I said that for every 'good' drawing I created, there were 7-10 'bad' ones just waiting for the landfill. I would not have posted this WIP frankly were it not for the fact that everyone else here has been willing to share their trial and errors freely, and it is not fair for me not to do the same, as Mike pointed out to me (yeah, thanks, Mike! ) ~ hence, you are seeing me without makeup, lol!

Enough about me. Thanks to everyone for the crits.

Zoontjens,

I love your pencil style! The one crit I would have would be that the back of her head needs a lot more volume. Currently she is suffering from encephalitis. But I really love the rest of the piece, and I really hope to see more of your work on the forum!

Noiram,

I like the mood of this piece. My crit would be to try a second one and try to fit the whole figure in ~ I think her pose is great, and her feet and ankles are crucial to its success. I had to go out today and buy a giant newsprint pad, lol, as my tendency is to draw really large ~ I really like details, and with the way I sharpen my pencil, I can only get so much detail when working small.

Are you considering doing a digital painting? I think this is a great pose which warrants such a treatment should you have the time. Good luck, and I hope to see more of your posts!

Great to see stuff so early in the game! Rock on, guys!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

08 August 2005
Talking

Slight update, CU:

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 08 August 2005 at 04:59 AM.

08 August 2005
Hey!

I is back again.
The sketch was done in 20 minutes at 4PM here in Holland (in the middle of the night) now i'm at work again drinking coffee coffee and more coffee...and yes, with a simple pencil.

anyway, thanks. Agree on the head and the back, I just did not evaluate the sketch, immediately scanned it. But there are always a few of these big flaws, when it comes to anatomy...that's why I'm here! And no, I did not really go photorealistic indeed. But it was no conscious choice, this is more my style I think (variable line thickness etc.) coming from my industrial design education. When drawing people for design drawings clarity is a big issue. Therefore outlines are important, of course. Next time I'll try photorealism!

Cheers,Ralph

08 August 2005
Cool

still pencil on sketchbook, tough pose catch this time...

08 August 2005
Talking

Here we go - my first blast at one of the new poses -

Around 30 - 40 minutes in Painter. This one might well become a painting once I have adjusted a few things, (like her small head, lol!)

MIKE

Last edited by default-rol : 08 August 2005 at 12:19 PM.

Thread Closed share thread