Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 002

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
Arrow Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 002

NOW OPEN!!! OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 002!!!

Welcome to the Inaugural thread of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop!!! I am truly excited about this, and am very grateful to good friend and old Art Center chum Hong Ly, with whom I spent many hours in the Open Figure Drawing Workshops from 6:45 - 9:00 pm back in our art school days.

I had the idea for this thread, but was unsure how to procure decent photographs ~ but, having reconnected with Hong in LA during SIGGRAPH after many years, I discovered that he was an accomplished photographer who already had taken model reference photos for use on his website, dedicated to Character Art and Design, at which Hong is an accomplished professional. It is lucky for us here at CGTalk that Hong has agreed to be a part of this community and to allow us to use his photographs as model reference. Thank you very much, Hong!

>>RULES FOR THE THREADS<<

1. Photographs are the property of Hong Ly and are copyrighted as such.

2. Photographs are NOT to be used for ANY other purpose apart from Figurative Drawing Reference for this thread on CGTalk.

3. The drawings created from the photo reference provided here MUST be TASTEFUL, SINCERE, RESPECTFUL, and for the purpose of serious study of the human figure. Those who post silly, disrespectful, or tasteless work will have their posts deleted immediately
and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Hong Ly, Rebecca Kimmel, and Roberto Ortiz reserve the right to determine which drawings are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful to the model/s, who have generously agreed to allow their images to be used on the condition that they be used for the tasteful and serious study of Figurative Art only.

4. There is NO TIME LIMIT for posting on this thread.

5. New threads containing new photographs will be posted on a bi-weekly basis, depending on the number of photographs available.

6. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only your BEST WORK, even if it is considered unfinished.

7. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

8. Hong Ly has generously offered his time to critique work on occasion; however, with a full-time job and a demanding schedule, he will not be able to answer everyone's requests for assistance. He has agreed, however, to stop by the threads when he has time to offer comments and critique. Hong is a great guy and incredibly generous ~ however, please respect his time. I will also be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads should be on Group Critique and interaction.

9. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Gestural, Sketch, Finished Render, etc.

EDIT: 3D Artists who wish to use the reference for 3D models are free to do so. I just ask that you post your work here as well as in any 3D forum in which you post your work.

11. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 600 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please!

12. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art!

LINKS to Photographs: WARNING: Nudity:

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 1.

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 2.

Good luck!

~Rebeccak and Hong Ly

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 09:04 PM.

08 August 2005
Space reserved for Internal thread LINKS

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

08 August 2005
Talking

Please note that:

ALL Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads will remain OPEN on a continuous basis.

So all are free to continue to post on any Open Figure Drawing Workshop thread of their choice.

The emphasis here is on QUALITY, and not QUANTITY or SPEED.

Thanks! Looking forward to everyone's posts!!!

~Rebeccak

EDIT:
Also, please let me know by email or PM if there are any broken links, or if Hong Ly's concept image or banner announcement does not appear. Thank you!

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 08 August 2005 at 02:53 PM.

08 August 2005
*wuhhhh* thanks rebecca

now this boring rainy day got at least something fun to do^^. hopefully i will posting my first sketch soon

btw. i wanted to thank you for your great work and teaching you do here. i feel like i improved more in this 1 week i participate here, than in my 2 month of study from normal anatomie books. your opposing curves lecture was a real eye opener . i was really stunned after returning from hospital to see how much work you and all the others put in here

08 August 2005
Talking

Llynna,

Thank you very much! Your compliments mean a great deal to me. We are all happy to see you here. Indeed, the amount and quality of work and effort put into the OFDW 001 thread by everyone has just been phenomenal!

I hope your hospital stay was for nothing very serious? We all wish you the best and hope you are now healthy!

Looking forward to more great work from you!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 08 August 2005 at 04:35 PM.

08 August 2005
Had some free time today so i thought that i'd give this a go... been trying to do more drawing recently anyways. Quiet happy with it... few things are a bit off like the foot (can't do feet) and the mouth, but decided that it look good enough, if i did any more i feel that it would be too over worked.

08 August 2005
Talking

Harrad,

WOW! Congratulations on being the first to post!

Do you want to do a painting of this pose as well?

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

08 August 2005
Woot! Do i win a prize? lol...

Erm... Yeah i might try a painting. It'll have to be digital, cos i've got no paints!

Question:
Where in the photo the back ground is black, how would you sergest showing this in a drawing... would you shade in the background or leave it mainly white as i have. I didn't really know how to handle that part?

08 August 2005
Talking

Harrad,

When beginning a digital painting, I highly suggest filling the entire canvas with a mid-tone gray first. Then you work your lights up in value, and your darks down in value. If you are new to digital painting, then I highly suggest doing a grayscale study / painting first.

Here is a demo (see Posts #294 and #295) ~ for digital shading using only Black, White and Gray as your VALUES ~ from the previous OFDW 001 ~ I also recommend checking out Lesson 003, which covers traditional and digital shading.

Hope this helps!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

08 August 2005
Oh sorry, don't think i made my self clear... erm... i ment in my pencil drawing. I didn't know if the shading i've done to have her sitting IN the paper rather than ON the paper was enough as in the photo the whole background is black but my drawing is white. But if i filled the background in i don't know if that would be a bit overkill?

08 August 2005
Talking

Harrad,

Whoops, sorry about that! No, my thought on the pencil drawing is that I rather like it as is ~ I agree, filling in the bkgrd entirely with black is rather overkill. Plus, most folks don't need practice filling in a bkgrd, but learning how to construct the figure, so I would always suggest spending more time on that!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

08 August 2005
yippie number 2! I think thoose are better poses than in the other workshop. I'll post some thing soon.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

08 August 2005
Talking

Pushav,

Schweet. Just watch the spam this time 'round.

If your popularity begins to swell (and along with it your head, lol!) Just remember that you are more than welcome to create a tutorial on the main Anatomy forum in the format I previously described.

Looking forward to seeing your work, pushav!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

08 August 2005
Talking

Rebecca- Spam? I have never heard of this word. (Just kidding). Lol. Lets see how big my head can get this time. 30in, 40in, 50in. Lol!
Anyway I left mistakes in my drawing for you guys to find.
It is kind of like "where's Waldo" (Yeah I took you guys wayback on that one lol.)
I made this around noon but had to cut my lawn then I finished it now. (it is a warmup 1st pic of the day)

Materials used printer paper and my brand new papermat clickster brand .07 pencil (Lol using crude technology) Hopefully my scan is clear this time.

Oh boy school starts tommorow (that means more drawing when the professor is giving lectures:
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

08 August 2005
Talking

pushav,

I definitely like this one...that pushav style is balanced with more careful attention to detail than on your previous drawings, which I like. I think it would be cool to see a 'Paul Gauguin' style painting from you ~ not too crazy with the colors, but with some nice subtle, warm grayish reds, greens, oranges, and blues might be nice ~ with the focus on VALUES, of course!

I think this drawing has a nice emotional quality to it lacking in your other pieces. Plans for a painting?

...And you're right, it's often true that better poses (or poses which artists better like) elicit better drawings/paintings...

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 08 August 2005 at 08:16 PM.

Thread Closed share thread